SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Reloading    9mm plinking loads
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

9mm plinking loads Login/Join 
Purveyor of Death
and Destruction
Picture of walker77
posted
What are you guys using for 9mm plinking loads?

Currently I'm using 124 gr JHP from precision delta with 7gr blue dot.

But the blue dot is dirty and leaves a lot of unburnt powder in the receiver of my MPX. Does it to my other 9's too, but the MPX is a pain to clean.

I'm also using blue dot for 357 sig.

Posts: 7393 | Location: Raymore, Missouri | Registered: June 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Who else?
Picture of Jager
posted Hide Post
I use:

Power Pistol - for full power loads. Slower burning, but is relatively clean. High volume (although not as high as BD), which means a double charge evidences immediately. I recommend PP to everyone for a variety of chamberings. I absolutely love it in .45 ACP.

Winchester 231 - for typical loads. Same as HP38. Not the cleanest powder, but performs well. Depending on amount of grains used, a double charge is possible.

Titegroup - for plinking loads (economy). I tried this low volume powder to save a few pennies. Decided to stick with 231 for general purpose rounds. A double charge is also likely to go undetected.

Posts: 2568 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: October 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I load 124 gr. FMJ and plated bullets with Ramshot True Blue and AA #5. Have also used Win 231. Volumes with these eliminate risk of double-charge.

Posts: 312 | Location: Ohio | Registered: January 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
My 9mm plinking loads are 115 grn plated RN with a modest charge of Titegroup.

Posts: 6156 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blue68f100
posted Hide Post
Most all powders if your not in the upper range do not burn clean. I use WSF for my 124gr 9mm loads. I run on a AP so accurate metering is a must for me.

David

P229R 9mm, Nitron, Beavertail Frame, Night Sights, DA/SA, SRT & Short Reach Trigger

Posts: 3464 | Location: Piney Woods of East Texas | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My last few batches have been Xtreme 124 grn plated with Win 231, Titegroup and BE86. 've also done some 147's with Ubique and AA&7. All have done well and are pleasant to shoot.

Posts: 1063 | Location: hampton roads, va. | Registered: October 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
4.5 Universal with a Montana Gold 124 gr.

PC

Posts: 1336 | Location: NW Wyoming | Registered: November 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
yeah BD is the wrong powder for plinking ammo. If you want max effort +P stud, BD works pretty well. Any of the medium burners from Unique up to about AA#7 will work a lot better & be cheaper. I like WSF, but BE86, Unique, AA#5, all do fine job. If you only want 124gr @ 1100fps, you can even go to faster powders like W231 & WST for even cleaner/cheaper shooting.

IF YOU AREN'T HANDLOADING, YOU AREN'T SHOOTING ENOUGH!
NRA Instruc: Basic Pistol & Met Reloading

Posts: 7789 | Location: ca, usa | Registered: February 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
5.1 grains of Ramshot Silhouette under a 135 grain plated flat point from Xtreme. I like the clean holes a flat point makes. It's easier to tell when your follow up shots are right on top of the first one. Big Grin

-TVz

Posts: 432 | Location: North of DFW | Registered: May 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My range practice loads are 115gr FMJ with either Power Pistol, or Unique powder.

Posts: 6612 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of Death
and Destruction
Picture of walker77
posted Hide Post
So I was comparing loads in my speer book and my Hornady book. Speer has the starting load for blue dot at 7gr. Hornady Max load is 6.5 (if I remember right). So what gives?

Posts: 7393 | Location: Raymore, Missouri | Registered: June 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bone 4 Tuna
Picture of jjkroll32
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jager:
I use:

Power Pistol - for full power loads. Slower burning, but is relatively clean. High volume (although not as high as BD), which means a double charge evidences immediately. I recommend PP to everyone for a variety of chamberings. I absolutely love it in .45 ACP.

Winchester 231 - for typical loads. Same as HP38. Not the cleanest powder, but performs well. Depending on amount of grains used, a double charge is possible.

My two primary powders for 9x19

NRA Life Member

Long Live the Super Thirty-Eight

Posts: 11144 | Location: Mid-Michigan | Registered: October 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Been shooting a lot of Clays lately. I have a ton of it from when I was big into trap shooting, so wanted to start using it up. I've found 3.8-3.9grs under 115gr plated bullets to be soft shooting and very accurate. Seems to be a pretty clean powder, but I clean my guns after every trip to the range, so they never get very dirty.

Posts: 56 | Registered: November 29, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cold Ass Honkey
Picture of Sig Vicious
posted Hide Post
According to my records for 124 grn Plated bullets, this load grouped tightest:

124grn Extreme FP plated bullet
4.8grn WSF
1.125 OAL
WSP primer

1000fps+ ave (with the chrono 5 ft from muzzle)
1" @ 10yrds
P226

I loaded some at 1.18" (don't ask) but the group opened up quite a bit.

Your Precision Delta are probably FMJ so the powder weight will probably change.

------------------------------
Never fully gruntled.

Posts: 2173 | Location: OR-ee-GUN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of Death
and Destruction
Picture of walker77
posted Hide Post
I really want to use up the 4 or 5lbs that I have of blue dot before buying more powder. What do you guys think about the load discrepancy I posted above?

Who else?
Picture of Jager
posted Hide Post
Blue Dot does not burn consistently until you get up to higher end loads. It's a flake powder (IIRC) and is not the best choice for use in 9mm IMO.

From what I've read, if you insist upon using Blue Dot, increasing the charge incrementally (not exceeding published data, of course) may yield better results.

Posts: 2568 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: October 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of Death
and Destruction
Picture of walker77
posted Hide Post
How do you know what is a fast or slow burning powder?

posted Hide Post
Go to the Powder Burn Rate charts!! They are available in most all reloading manuals, and at the major powder company web sites.

Posts: 6612 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Who else?
Picture of Jager
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by walker77:
How do you know what is a fast or slow burning powder?

Burning Man

Picture of henryrifle
posted Hide Post
I have found a combination that is very fun and reliable. Recoil is very light and the sound is noticeably different--I would even say reduced. 3.4 grs. N320 under a 147 gr. X-treme plated bullet is very quiet--especially when suppressed and cycles everything I have tried it in to include Sig P-series, 1911s, MP5s, Glocks, CZ 75s and P-10 C and a VP-9. I have shot over 1000 of these with no issues so far.

Henryrifle

Posts: 491 | Location: Atlanta | Registered: November 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post