SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Reloading    Load Developement Sequence Help
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Load Developement Sequence Help Login/Join 
More persistent
than capable
posted
Got some 185 grain bullets for a .45, a weight I have not loaded previously. Having 5 powders that will work, do I ladder test 1 powder at a time or start with minimum loads for all 5? What would a smart guy do?

Lick the lollipop of mediocrity once and you suck forever.

Posts: 1083 | Location: North | Registered: August 27, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For me, it would depend on what I was wanting to accomplish. Plinking load, competition load or duplicate self-defense load?

"Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician." -Jeff Cooper

Posts: 8756 | Location: UT | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
More persistent
than capable
posted Hide Post
Plinkers mostly.

Posts: 1083 | Location: North | Registered: August 27, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
For plinkers I just use what the manual recommends..ie, 45 Acp, xxgrains equals 840 FPS....and I use their recipe. I don’t even bother to work up a load or chrono my load...if it functions in my gun it’s GTG

I only build loads for power factor for USPSA so they will pass chrono at a match. Or target ammo for a rifle.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11247 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sunburn:
Plinkers mostly.

For me, I'd put away the Power Pistol, grab the W231 and go from there Cool

"Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician." -Jeff Cooper

Posts: 8756 | Location: UT | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
IMO, Ladder and OCW tests are a waste of time for plinking or practice ammo. The only time I mess with those is for rifle match ammo. I suppose I might if I was a bulleye pistol shooter or something like that, but otherwise it's not worth the effort. Now, if you're one of those guys who just likes tinkering with loads, then by all means go for it.

W231 or HP38 have always been my go-to for .45ACP, at any bullet weight.

Posts: 7244 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have loaded a "ton" of 185gr bullets in 45ACP brass......in fact, I am currently loading a large batch, as my supply was running low. I load for plinking/target mostly these days. I have tried a number of powders over the years, but keep coming back to good old Bullseye......it gets the job done!!

Posts: 6601 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
More persistent
than capable
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the replys. Am looking for an easy shooting and accurate load, so I will start with 231 and Clays. I appreciate the input.

I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
When you find one be sure to post the load.
We all want more recipes!

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 3771 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
More persistent
than capable
posted Hide Post
Finally had a chance to test using 185 grain plated.
W231 with 5.0, 5.5, and 5.9 grains
Tite Group at 5.0 and 5.5

W231 5.5 was very accurate and soft shooting, 5.0 the same but no last round slide lock back with the HK. Fine with the P12 and XDM.

Tite Group was a snappy recoil and not as accurate. 231 so good no need to test more powders. Thanks for all the replys/input!