SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Reloading    7.62x54R - Someone talk me out of it.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

7.62x54R - Someone talk me out of it. Login/Join 
Stuck on
himself
posted
I’m down to about 1/3 of a spam can and haven’t bought any for some time. All I can say is Holy. Crap.

Should have bought a pallet when I had the chance, but if wishes were horses. Like hell am I paying $200 for a can of crappy corrosive Soviet surplus.

Am I crazy for looking at reloading this cartridge? Otherwise I might be ditching the Mosin Nagant.

Posts: 4177 | Registered: January 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I reload 7.62x54R for my 91/30.
I slugged my bore and am able to use .311 bullets.
Sierra makes .311 150 grain Gameking, 174 Matchking, and 180 grain Gameking (also 125 but that is usually for the SKS/AR platform).
I use Varget with a 174 with 3.00" COL.
The RCBS dies come with a .308 and .311 neck expander.

Minute of paper plate at 100 yards.

PC

Posts: 1332 | Location: NW Wyoming | Registered: November 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yep. First step...slug bore.....slug bore. I have dies and all the components to include a small stash of brass but seem to have a problem focusing on shooting and loading for my Mosins.

It's certainly nice to shoot these rifles in the original configuration -steel butt plates- and be able to load to lower power levels that are much easier on the guns and shoulder. My brother made up some powder coated bullets and loaded them to lead bullet velocities. Fun and easy to shoot plinkers.

Posts: 1063 | Location: hampton roads, va. | Registered: October 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
That stuff is a pain in the ass to reload,not boxer,the replacement primers are larger than boxer.
they make gismo to do this but hell,
I dumped my mosen on son with a can and all the remaining stuff I had not shot from the previous can.
I done got to old and bruise too easily Wink

Posts: 22407 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I reload it sometimes - prvi partisan makes decent brass that is available. i like the 123 gr AK bullets - pleasant shooting & decent accuracy out of my MN

Steve

Posts: 14 | Registered: March 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 1332 | Location: NW Wyoming | Registered: November 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by SteveF:
I reload it sometimes - prvi partisan makes decent brass that is available. i like the 123 gr AK bullets - pleasant shooting & decent accuracy out of my MN[/

Yep. I use Prvi brass with 125 grain plated X-treme bullets with the reduced H4895 loads. Shoots nice, soft, and accurately out of my Finnish M39.

Not hard to reload.

Posts: 4028 | Registered: January 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stuck on
himself
posted Hide Post
Alright, looks like I need to get some dies. Thanks for the replies.

Posts: 4177 | Registered: January 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2tonicP220
posted Hide Post
I load for my SKY M39 and SVT-40, and really appreciate non-corrosive ammo I make, especially feeding the SVT-40. Brass is either PP, or Norma, and whatever .3105"-.312" 150-180 grain bullets I have around. I keep it simple sticking with IMR 4895 and CCI #34 primers, and not pushing the pressure or velocity. Dies used are Lee, and I have two sizes of neck expanders. You might seriously look into cast bullet loading for a lot of fun and max saving. Good luck, and enjoy loading the Russian '30/06'.

Posts: 2049 | Location: NW PA | Registered: March 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post