SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Reloading    Most accurate bullet and load for 9 mm 124 or 147 grain ?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Most accurate bullet and load for 9 mm 124 or 147 grain ? Login/Join 
posted
What is your most accurate 9mm 124 or 147 grain bullet , powder combination and seating depth?

I am planning on shooting some competition using my 226 or 228 or 365

I am looking at somewhere around a 130 power factor

I have been loading for occasional shooting a 147 grain Berry's round point over Tite group

I tried X-Treme 147 round nose and the 147 hollow point but they or the loads I used were not as good as the Berry's I loaded.

When I used to shoot my 226 in competition years ago, Montana Gold 124 hp over 231 powder was a great combo.

Thanks in advance

RC

Posts: 1938 | Location: Indiana | Registered: March 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RC:
What is your most accurate 9mm 124 or 147 grain bullet , powder combination and seating depth?

I don't shoot 9mm any more, but did for many years in competition. I stayed with the same (proven) load for the entire time. Precision Delta 147gr FMJRN, WSF 3.9gr, and OAL 1.150". The power factor ran about 132. My personal preference is to load about 5% over the minimum PF.

Guns were P226, Series 70 Colt Govt. 9mm, and P320 FS.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Black Bullet - 147gr
Vitavh N 320 - 3.2gr

OAL - 1.140 (I think)

830fps - it shot like cotton balls with minimal muzzle lift.

Andrew

Duty is the sublimest word in the English Language - Gen Robert E Lee.

Posts: 861 | Registered: May 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of huskerlrrp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by El Cid 92:
Black Bullet - 147gr
Vitavh N 320 - 3.2gr

OAL - 1.140 (I think)

Andrew

That's very similar to one of my USPSA loads. The other is 4.2gr of VV N320 with a 124 grain bullet. My OAL is a little shorter 1.12-1.13.
For accuracy I had the best luck with 7.7gr of AA #7 and a 124gr hollow point. It is a little dirty has more flip than N320 but shoots like laser beams in most of my 9mms.

Posts: 1788 | Location: North Cackalacky | Registered: September 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
When you fall, I will be there to catch you -With love, the floor
posted Hide Post
The Blue Bullet 147 gn. FP over 3.2 gns. Titegroup functions perfectly in my 229, 226, X5, 320's and 365's.

It makes power factor plus about 8 percent.

Richard Scalzo
Epping, NH

http://www.bigeastakitarescue.net

Posts: 5803 | Location: Epping, NH | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by huskerlrrp:
quote:
Black Bullet - 147gr
Vitavh N 320 - 3.2gr

OAL - 1.140 (I think)

Andrew

That's very similar to one of my USPSA loads. The other is 4.2gr of VV N320 with a 124 grain bullet. My OAL is a little shorter 1.12-1.13.
For accuracy I had the best luck with 7.7gr of AA #7 and a 124gr hollow point. It is a little dirty has more flip than N320 but shoots like laser beams in most of my 9mms.

Really stupid question.....

Did you notice a strange/obnoxious odor immediately after firing your round?? Trying to figure out if its the VV N320 or the coating on the Black Bullet that causes the smell.

Andrew

Duty is the sublimest word in the English Language - Gen Robert E Lee.

Posts: 861 | Registered: May 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by El Cid 7.7gr of AA #7 and a 124gr hollow point. It is a little dirty has more flip than N320 but shoots like laser beams in most of my 9mms.

Did you try any of the N320 with the 124 hp?

When I used to shoot the Montana Gold 124 hp they were also very accurate, but they appear to be vey pricey these days.

RC

Posts: 1938 | Location: Indiana | Registered: March 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RC:
quote:
Originally posted by El Cid 7.7gr of AA #7 and a 124gr hollow point. It is a little dirty has more flip than N320 but shoots like laser beams in most of my 9mms.

When I used to shoot the Montana Gold 124 hp they were also very accurate, but they appear to be very pricey these days.

RC

Picture of huskerlrrp
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by huskerlrrp:
quote:
Black Bullet - 147gr
Vitavh N 320 - 3.2gr

OAL - 1.140 (I think)

Andrew

Really stupid question.....

Did you notice a strange/obnoxious odor immediately after firing your round?? Trying to figure out if its the VV N320 or the coating on the Black Bullet that causes the smell.

Andrew

N320 smells a little different than other powders. I've come to love it. I didn't notice the difference between jacketed and Blue Bullets though. Then again, I drive by Blue Bullets manufacturing facility every day on the way to work and back so it might be second nature to me by now Smile.

Posts: 1788 | Location: North Cackalacky | Registered: September 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of huskerlrrp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RC:
quote:

When I used to shoot the Montana Gold 124 hp they were also very accurate, but they appear to be vey pricey these days.

Yes, when I was shooting a lot of USPSA Production Montana gold 124gr and VV N320 was my load. I've since just shot Blue Bullets but still have about 4,000 Montana Gold hollow points laying around. Montana Gold was more accurate but not enough to warrant the price.

posted Hide Post

Possible your powder?

I shoot Black Bullets and VV 320 and do not notice any odor.
But I have been shooting it for so long I have probably gotten used to it

RC

Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
IMO, something you have to determine yourself, every gun is diff. I rarely get best accuracy with plated bullets though, they are just more finicky about mixed brass & crimp. Jacketed or properly sized coated yield better accuracy.
As to bullet wts, no real diff between 124 & 147 but again, every gun is diff. So the real question is what are you trying to do, is it full power ammo or min PF competition accuracy?

IF YOU AREN'T HANDLOADING, YOU AREN'T SHOOTING ENOUGH!
NRA Instruc: Basic Pistol & Met Reloading

Posts: 7789 | Location: ca, usa | Registered: February 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have had good luck in the accuracy dept. using 147 X-treme and HP-38. Pretty much the same accuracy using the same bullet with AAC#5. Just like the HP-38 better.

Posts: 4022 | Registered: January 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fredj338:
question is what are you trying to do, is it full power ammo or min PF competition accuracy?

I am shooting various competitions

I will load for around a 130 power factor,
Looking for the best accuracy I can load for

The Sigs are good for it if I do my part

Some times that bit of extra accuracy makes a difference

RC

Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
quote:
I am shooting various competitionsI will load for around a 130 power factor, Looking for the best accuracy I can load for The Sigs are good for it if I do my partSome times that bit of extra accuracy makes a difference

IMO, nothing softer shooting at 130PF than 147gr running about 875fps. Feels like 38sp in a 4" revo. Very accurate, at least accurate enough for gun games out to 40y or so.

Posts: 7789 | Location: ca, usa | Registered: February 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
I make my own coated 147gr RN, but in a pinch I will use Bayou 145gr RN, sized to 0.357". Just order them that way. Summers also will size 0.357". It works in all my 9mm, even the a bit loose Glock bbls.
OAl will vary with barrel, but I find 1.135" runs in just about anything. I like WST for 130-135PF, very accurate, less snap than TG at the same vel, less smoke too.