SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Reloading    Question about a turret press and depriming

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Question about a turret press and depriming Login/Join 
The One, the Only Mighty Paragon
Picture of Paragon
posted
Here is what I want to do:

I have been collecting brass. I have a bunch. I want to clean it in my ultrasonic, but I wanted to clean deprimed brass to get it cleaner. I will also dry it in the oven, so I think having the primer out will help with airflow.

My friend has a hand deprimer, but I doubt I can use it with my bad tendons. I was looking at a Lee turret press. Can I use that just to deprime the case? I am not ready to do anything more without the proper training and supervision.

I just thought to get a jump on things and have deprimed, clean brass ready to go.

NRA Basic Pistol Instructor
NRA Range Safety Officer

Posts: 12062 | Location: Central FL | Registered: April 30, 2005Report This Post
Ball Haulin'
Picture of entropy
posted Hide Post
Absolutely. Just get a Lee inexpensive universal decap die and have at it!

--------------------------------------
"There are things we know. There are things we dont know. Then there are the things we dont know that we dont know."

Posts: 10014 | Location: At the end of the gravel road. | Registered: November 02, 2006Report This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
Just me but super cleaned washed brass is nice but carries drawbacks when loading .
tumbled brass is easy to reload with out the gaulding of bullets loaded into it
That burnt residue inside the case actually helps as a lube and lets the bullet be pressed into position without the resistance of a clean inside case.
I have tried the way you speak of,just not the way I am comfortable with.

Posts: 21054 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Report This Post
Picture of jbcummings
posted Hide Post
If that's what you want to do, then the universal decamping die is the way to go. I've got one setup on a Dillon die platform that I slip into my 550 and it works great.

I would tend to agree that the steel media might get the brass too clean. Having some of that left over crude can be a good thing. In fact, I've heard a few long range precision shooters claim it screws with their accuracy. I'm not sure because I'm not that picky. Basically the shiny brass thing seems to be an OCD fetish type thing to me.

Posts: 3377 | Location: N. Texas | Registered: May 21, 2012Report This Post
Ball Haulin'
Picture of entropy
posted Hide Post
Just depends on what the final goal is. Bulk practice ammo gets fired, media tumbled to clean, then right to the progressive hopper to reload. If it's going to be a max end magnum load or if it's rifle brass it gets deprimed, then prepped to the level needed. If she's putting away for a rainy day, it might be a bit of overkill, but how is it that much different than unfired new at that point?

--------------------------------------
"There are things we know. There are things we dont know. Then there are the things we dont know that we dont know."

Posts: 10014 | Location: At the end of the gravel road. | Registered: November 02, 2006Report This Post
The One, the Only Mighty Paragon
Picture of Paragon
posted Hide Post
I'm just getting started with this stuff. My goal was just to prepare some brass to learn to reload. Certainly don't think I'll be making my own carry ammo or making bunches of it to put away somewhere.

NRA Basic Pistol Instructor
NRA Range Safety Officer

Posts: 12062 | Location: Central FL | Registered: April 30, 2005Report This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
I use a Lee turret press for all my rifle reloading. I like it fine. It takes no effort to decap on it with a decapping die. I especially the quick caliber changes.

RMD

Some men are morally opposed to violence; they are protected by men who are not.

Posts: 18391 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Report This Post
posted Hide Post
I use my Lee to deprime, then clean with stainless pins, and finally load with my Dillon

Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by entropy:
Absolutely. Just get a Lee inexpensive universal decap die and have at it!

This...if you are a Amazon Prime member you can't beat this price...

https://www.amazon.com/Lee-LP9...ts=p_85%3A2470955011

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
Plowing straight ahead come what may
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 7028 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Report This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Yes, decap it in the turret press.

I am another who doesn't think sparkly clean brass offers any improvement over clean-ish brass. I tumble it every few reloadings in shell media and have found that to be clean enough. I don't know if making it cleaner would cause accuracy problems, but what 45 Cal says about the bit of carbon inside acting as a lube is true.

I don't like the idea of liquid cleaners. I don't want water sitting in the brass. I'd be a little nervous about heat drying it, although if you kept it under 200 farenheit, it shouldn't be a problem. I might also worry about any residues, although I concede that is just a worry without any evidence that there could be a problem.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 43934 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Report This Post
Casuistic Thinker and Daoist
Picture of 9mmepiphany
posted Hide Post
Between the two Lee turret presses, I highly recommend going with the Classic over the Value one. It makes a huge difference as to how it handles the spent primer and the primer dust.

The Lee Universal Decapping die is the way to go. Can't really go wrong for $13

No, Daoism isn't a religion

Posts: 12991 | Location: northern california | Registered: February 07, 2003Report This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 9mmepiphany:
Between the two Lee turret presses, I highly recommend going with the Classic over the Value one. It makes a huge difference as to how it handles the spent primer and the primer dust.

The Lee Universal Decapping die is the way to go. Can't really go wrong for $13

This is good advice. I have loaded thousands of rounds on my Lee Classic Turret. It's worth the money over their value line. It's not the best press out there, but it may be the best value. It's well constructed, and easy to set up and use. I also like how it allows me to keep the methodical batch-type process of a single-stage without having to reset my dies every time I change steps or calibers.

Posts: 2554 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Report This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
Along with that fabulous Lee decapping die, you might as well order up a spare punch. They're something like $2-$3. You may not need it since the punch is built like a tank, but for the price, a spare is nice to have.

[i]

Posts: 4908 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Report This Post