SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Reloading    RNFP v Keith style (SWC) cast bullets question
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

RNFP v Keith style (SWC) cast bullets question Login/Join 
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted
Any of you casters out there know which type of bullet is better.

I have a Lee .357 mold that is RNFP, I use it for my M92 357 levergun and use the same round in my revolver. Like this

Does the SWC shoot better or do better damage to an animal when used to hunt?

Any input would be appreciated.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11247 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
More shock with flat nose,if it causes no feeding in the 92 , go with it.
I started out with lee was ok but I gave it to a starter out caster and went with Lyman steel dies.
Not as temperamental to use as the lee's.
The lee pot is also the pits at times.
Slang name is [Sir Drip a lot].
Finally went with RCBS pro mold cost a lot more but problems went away,Main problem with lee is the bottom pore and clogs,leeks and bolts coming loose around the pot.

Posts: 22407 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
The TRUE Keith style SWC is IMHO ALL any revolver guy ever needs, short of a true WC for bullseye work. Though they probably don't feed well in a lever gun.

They perform good on game, are accurate even out to longer ranges and I have seldom seen a revolver that didn't shoot them well.

My two cents.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For hunting, I'd pick the SWC for its better performance on game.

I've had great luck, with Lyman's 358156 gc bullet. It's a Keith type SWC that's superbly accurate in 4 .357's, and my Marlin 1894 carbine. I size it to .359", cast with an ACWW alloy and lube with 50-50 lube. I'd estimate that I've cast & shot over 20,000 of these bullets over the past 47 years, and have worn out two of the original Lyman molds. The gas check BTW, allows straight wheel weight alloy to be used up to 1600 fps in my carbine, and 1200+ in the revolvers. It's an easy feeder in my Marlin carbine too.

For a good all-purpose load (my day to day carry load here on our farm), try 13.5 gr. of 2400 for both revolver (S&W or Ruger in my case) at 1150+ fps, or 1600+ fps from the carbine. It's a deer load in the carbine, but for the revolvers, I'd choose a slower powder at max loadings; 296 or 110 come to mind. Lyman makes the mold, but Accurate Molds makes a better mold in aluminum, steel, or my favorite, brass.

As always, the above loads, were worked up for my guns. You should do the same if interested, after consulting a GOOD loading manual and considering all the pressure implications. HTH's Rod

5th Spl Forces, Air Force Bird Dog FAC, lll Corps RVN 69-70.... We enjoy the Bill of Rights by the sacrifices of our veterans;
Politicians, Preachers, Educators, Journalists and Community Organizers are beneficiaries, not defenders of our freedoms.

Posts: 725 | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
There was an interesting gel test done years ago by Ross Seyfreid. He was a big proponent of WNFP. The test used sanded gel I think. Then he blackened the bullets & fired them into the gel. You could then see where the surface was actually contacting the bullet & the "cutting" shoulder of the swc got very little contact with the gel. So for me, the widest flat point you can get will smack stuff just a bit harder than a swc.

IF YOU AREN'T HANDLOADING, YOU AREN'T SHOOTING ENOUGH!
NRA Instruc: Basic Pistol & Met Reloading

Posts: 7789 | Location: ca, usa | Registered: February 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
Thanks Fred and the rest of the guys, I'm gonna stick witht eh RNFP as they work in the levergun and I will save a few bucks in not getting a new mold.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11247 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post