SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Reloading    Odd situation with 9MM
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Odd situation with 9MM Login/Join 
Picture of weekendshooter
posted
Almost all of my reloading is for IDPA competition. I usually reload a 124 gr. copper plated lead bullet. Recently I decided to try a 147 gr. copper plated lead bullet. I used a Lee Factory Crimp Die on both. Both insert easily into my Dillon Case Gauge. The 147's won't chamber in most of my 9mm pistols. The OAL is different 1.070 (124) vs. 1.130 (147). They hang up in the barrel chamber at the rear of the case. Any ideas? I have some 147 factory ammo that chambers fine. The brass is from the same batch that I used for the 124's.

Posts: 1181 | Location: Eastern PA now and missing Western PA | Registered: September 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SlimMan
posted Hide Post
Are the 147s dummy rounds that you plunk tested? You said they were hanging up at the "rear of the case" which suggests they may not be fully sized. Is the diameter above the extractor groove in spec? Have you tried a "U" die? Although sizing shouldn't be a problem if the 124 bullets chamber.

Are you sure that the OAL or crimp aren't the problem? At 1.13, the OAL shouldn't be an issue, but every bullet & chamber configuration is unique. So, did you try shorter lengths? What is your crimp diameter?

This isn't much help, but if you can provide more detailed measurements, it might help someone trouble-shoot for you.

Posts: 268 | Location: Parrish FL | Registered: March 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Is the longer oal and/or wider ogive causing the bullet to contact the lands in the barrel before it fully chambers? If so, you should see a slight ring around the base of the bullet right above the case mouth. I'm not sure I'm fully understanding what you are describing, but that is something I have been wrestling with lately...finding a round that will chamber in all of my 9mms, including those with tight chambers.

Posts: 8419 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
If the sized case chambers, then it is a bullet issue. Assuming the bullets are the same dia, then OAL is about the only issue. Try a dummy round seated 0.010" deeper, see if that solves it.

IF YOU AREN'T HANDLOADING, YOU AREN'T SHOOTING ENOUGH!
NRA Instruc: Basic Pistol & Met Reloading

Posts: 7789 | Location: ca, usa | Registered: February 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jmorris
posted Hide Post
What bullet are you using?

I use Berry's 147 RN bullets @ 1.160" and don't have problems with them in any 9mm I have ever tried them in.

Posts: 481 | Location: DFW | Registered: May 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of weekendshooter
posted Hide Post
I used the Berry's 147 Gr. Flat Nose. I pulled a bullet and the case seated perfectly. I calipered the bullets and the measured .356. At least they will work in my G17 and Beretta 92. Thanks to everyone for your your help and suggestions.

Posts: 1181 | Location: Eastern PA now and missing Western PA | Registered: September 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jmorris
posted Hide Post
quote:
I used the Berry's 147 Gr. Flat Nose.

It will have a different ogive for sure, you will just have to keep seating a dummy deeper in small increments to see when it's "ok" in that particular firearm.

I would also back off the load and work back up if I went down that road or just switch bullets. So, you can get more clearance without reducing e internal volume.

Posts: 481 | Location: DFW | Registered: May 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The solution to chambering problems is to determine the cause:
Take the barrel out of the gun. Drop rounds in until you find one that won't chamber. Take that round and "paint" the bullet and case black with Magic Marker or other marker. Drop round in barrel (or gage) and rotate it back-and-forth a few times.
Remove and inspect the round:
1) Scratches in the ink on bullet--COL is too long
2) Scratches in the ink on edge of the case mouth--insufficient crimp
3) Scratches in the ink just below the case mouth--too much crimp, you're crushing the case
4) Scratches in the ink on case at base of bullet--bullet seated crooked due to insufficient case expansion (not case mouth flare) or improper seating stem fit
5) Scratches in the ink on case just above extractor groove--case bulge not removed during sizing. May need a bulge buster.

Posts: 161 | Registered: July 28, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
3° that never cooled
Picture of rock185
posted Hide Post
The issue is likely that the longer 147s seat deeper in the case. This sometimes expands the OD of the case toward the base, preventing chambering in other than Glock or other more loosely chambered pistols. This would be an issue in pistols like SIGs, pistols with Barsto and some other match type barrels,etc., that have tighter,more precisely reamed chambers.....ymmv

NRA Life

Posts: 1561 | Location: Under the Tonto Rim | Registered: August 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post