SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Reloading    327 Fed bullets tumbling in flight
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

327 Fed bullets tumbling in flight Login/Join 
Picture of y-not
posted
Loaded some 327 100gn over 7.0 HS6. am having trouble with some of them tumbling was wondering if the load is to light or powder just to slow? the problem is worst with the 1.8" LCR then with my 4" SP101. any thoughts would be appreciated.

“Denial kills you twice. It kills you once, at your moment of truth when you are not physically prepared: You didn’t bring your gun; you didn’t train. Your only defense was wishful thinking. Hope is not a strategy. Denial kills you a second time because even if you do physically survive, you are psychologically shattered by fear, helplessness, horror and shame at your moment of truth.”

Posts: 642 | Location: Pinellas Park, Fl | Registered: January 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
Are they jacketed or just lead?
What are they miked at?
Lead bullets are one k larger in diameter btw.
You could also slug the barrel for its true size.

Posts: 22407 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of y-not
posted Hide Post
Berrys plated HP

“Denial kills you twice. It kills you once, at your moment of truth when you are not physically prepared: You didn’t bring your gun; you didn’t train. Your only defense was wishful thinking. Hope is not a strategy. Denial kills you a second time because even if you do physically survive, you are psychologically shattered by fear, helplessness, horror and shame at your moment of truth.”

Posts: 642 | Location: Pinellas Park, Fl | Registered: January 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Have you miked them to see what diameter they are? I looked at Berrys website and dont see a 100 gr .32 caliber pistol bullet.

Posts: 26852 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of y-not
posted Hide Post
My mistake they are Rainier and do measure .312
I have used them in the past but have lost my load data.

Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
Many years back before I started casting my own I tried plated bullets.
They are a might touchy to fire accurately .
Break the plating with too much crimp and they develop a mind of their own,to hot a powder load they scatter,to little they scatter.
They reward your barrel with loads of copper and scatter all over hell.
That is why I cast my own then started powder coating cause I did not like the grease all over the cylinder and barrel shroud on my 44's
I realize I am not addressing your situation
Just sharing my experience and how I fixed my problem

Posts: 22407 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I did a bunch of reloading with plated bullets years ago (Berry's, mostly), and at higher velocities, I found a lot of failures in the plating. In some cases, it was breaking down along the lines of the lands and grooves in the barrels, and I suspected that some were breaking up as they left the barrel.

I also saw a fair amount of keyholing at higher speeds. Backing off the velocity seemed to hit a point where that no longer occurred, and as I experimented, it seemed to be a fairly consistent point.

I use either jacketed or coated bullets these days, more often coated or both economy and very clean barrels, so I haven't been reloading plated bullets for a while. If I do, it's to a lower velocity, and I don't seem to have tumble, keyhole, or separation issues.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
When you fall, I will be there to catch you -With love, the floor
posted Hide Post
quote:
My mistake they are Rainier and do measure .312

I found the plating on Rainier bullets to be paper this and easily torn. the Berry line was much thicker. But if you have used them successfully in the past, it would suggest the load is at fault.

Richard Scalzo
Epping, NH

http://www.bigeastakitarescue.net

Posts: 5803 | Location: Epping, NH | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post