SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Reloading    45 ACP loading
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

45 ACP loading Login/Join 
posted
Might have been asked before but it seems my receipe for both of my 220's is 5.5 Gr of HP-38 and a 230 gr plated bullet does not strike the same location as Winchester white box. Is it me or should I be using a bit more of HP-38 or some other powder?

Posts: 208 | Location: Littleton, Co. USA | Registered: August 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blue68f100
posted Hide Post
The only way is to test.

David

P229R 9mm, Nitron, Beavertail Frame, Night Sights, DA/SA, SRT & Short Reach Trigger

Posts: 3464 | Location: Piney Woods of East Texas | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
HP-38/Win-231 should be about ideal in your 45 acp. I would cross reference several manuals, and Hodgdon’s website and start with midlin loads.

I would then load and test a few different charges and see how they preform and cycle. A chronograph is helpful too.

Once the testing goes well, load up a bunch.

Posts: 6156 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I can't really comment on the WWB but 5.1 grains of HP-38 at 1.250 with the same bullet gives me 747 fps average out of my 227. Just a reference because it sounds like you are reaching the top parameters with that powder.

WWB was a jacketed and not plated bullet also the last time I shot it so that may account for a difference in POI.

Posts: 1063 | Location: hampton roads, va. | Registered: October 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
Diff bullet types can show diff POI. Plated are not jacketed & lead are not either.

IF YOU AREN'T HANDLOADING, YOU AREN'T SHOOTING ENOUGH!
NRA Instruc: Basic Pistol & Met Reloading

Posts: 7789 | Location: ca, usa | Registered: February 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post