SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Reloading    HDY FTX bullets question (Reflex/Deflex 64 step on in)
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Reply
  
HDY FTX bullets question (Reflex/Deflex 64 step on in) Login/Join 
Member
Picture of Pyker
posted
I have some HDY 45 Cal. .458" 325 gr FTX bulllets that I intended to reload into some 45/70 FTX cases - at least, until I found out that I would need a custom die to do so. Any reason I can't just use them with standard 45/70 cases?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Pyker,
 
Posts: 586 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: September 06, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
That was the size and weight I used in the 458 socom.
The 45/70 usually runs the 405 weight and it is considerably longer.
I ran into some of these troubles with seating all the weird stuff I got tangles up in with some of this semi wildcat stuff.
Having a lathe I just took measurement and cut new seating plugs for the bullet.
That bullet has a groove for a roll crimp and you will have a short nose in front and may cause loading problem in a lever gun
 
Posts: 22107 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of Pyker
posted Hide Post
Thanks. I used the factory loaded 325 gr FTX Leverevolution rounds without a problem in my 1895, and I was planning to reload the brass with the 325gr FTX bullets. However, the load data shows that the brass is trimmed shorter which requires a custom 45/70 die. I'm not sure if that's because of the bullet or some other reason. I have WIN 45/70 brass I could use.
 
Posts: 586 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: September 06, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
My guess is that it’s probably calling for a custom die because the crimp is lower. Just get a $12 Lee factory crimp die and use your regular 45/70 dies for everything but the crimp.



On a mote of dust, suspended in a sunbeam.
 
Posts: 6361 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of Pyker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigcrazy7:
My guess is that it’s probably calling for a custom die because the crimp is lower. Just get a $12 Lee factory crimp die and use your regular 45/70 dies for everything but the crimp.


I have a 45/70 crimp die already. Maybe I can just adjust that one to crimp lower. Seems overkill to have a custom die just for one type of bullet and one type of case, but what do I know?

I'll probably end up just eating the $$ and shitcanning the brass and bullets and go back to the usual components.
 
Posts: 586 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: September 06, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
Have you checked on a Hornady die? That’s where RCBS sent me years ago


----------The weather is here I wish you were beautiful----------
 
Posts: 4682 | Location: southern Mn | Registered: February 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of Pyker
posted Hide Post
I have, but I'm not buying one die just to load 40 cases. I have a 4 die Lee 45/70 set. I'll just stick to using standard brass and bullets.
 
Posts: 586 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: September 06, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pyker:
I have, but I'm not buying one die just to load 40 cases. I have a 4 die Lee 45/70 set. I'll just stick to using standard brass and bullets.
cant blame you as that is where I’m at. I have managed to collect 120 pieces of brass now. I’m getting close to popping for the die before I change my focus and start casting or some other foolishness.


----------The weather is here I wish you were beautiful----------
 
Posts: 4682 | Location: southern Mn | Registered: February 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of Pyker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by reflex/deflex 64:
quote:
Originally posted by Pyker:
I have, but I'm not buying one die just to load 40 cases. I have a 4 die Lee 45/70 set. I'll just stick to using standard brass and bullets.
cant blame you as that is where I’m at. I have managed to collect 120 pieces of brass now. I’m getting close to popping for the die before I change my focus and start casting or some other foolishness.


You want these? Call it a karma.
 
Posts: 586 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: September 06, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
  Powered by Social Strata  
 

SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Reloading    HDY FTX bullets question (Reflex/Deflex 64 step on in)

© SIGforum 2020