SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Reloading    Dillon's BL-550 System - Pro's or Con's
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dillon's BL-550 System - Pro's or Con's Login/Join 
posted
I currently load on a Dillon 650 and love it for the case feed and powder cop features but when I want to develop a new load I move to my 25 year old RCBS single stage Rock Chucker. I want to have the ability to load a handfull of rounds knowing that I can advance the turret myself and drop each powder charge by hand on the Hand primed brass (Lee Hand Primer that I have used for over 20 years). I have NO intentions of eventually converting this BL system to a full RL set up. So to my questions

1> Anyone here load on a BL-550 and if so your thoughts on the system.

2> Thoughts from those here who I trust and appreciate honest feedback -Any reasons why I should NOT go this route?

I realize that once the developing load is finalized I will have to set those dies up on a 650 toolhead (not a big deal) or if it is a current round I shoot and I do not want to break the set up 650 toolhead I will need to purchase another set of dies to go this route. I only load 6 calibers now and currently only tinker with load developments today on two (300 B/O and 308).

Thanks for any comments, feedback, and/or recommendations.

Mark

Posts: 3239 | Location: MS | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
Well I might as well give you my thoughts.
I would spend the other $185 and get the 550c.
You can set it up like the b l 550 by leaving off parts of the 550c.
When you get tired of weighing every drop of powder you will not have much trouble with transition to what the rest of us do.

Posts: 22407 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
they are a great press. its worth the money.

Posts: 122 | Registered: October 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigarmsp226:
I currently load on a Dillon 650 and love it for the case feed and powder cop features but when I want to develop a new load I move to my 25 year old RCBS single stage Rock Chucker. I want to have the ability to load a handfull of rounds knowing that I can advance the turret myself and drop each powder charge by hand on the Hand primed brass (Lee Hand Primer that I have used for over 20 years). I have NO intentions of eventually converting this BL system to a full RL set up. So to my questions

1> Anyone here load on a BL-550 and if so your thoughts on the system.

2> Thoughts from those here who I trust and appreciate honest feedback -Any reasons why I should NOT go this route?

I realize that once the developing load is finalized I will have to set those dies up on a 650 toolhead (not a big deal) or if it is a current round I shoot and I do not want to break the set up 650 toolhead I will need to purchase another set of dies to go this route. I only load 6 calibers now and currently only tinker with load developments today on two (300 B/O and 308).

Thanks for any comments, feedback, and/or recommendations.

Mark

There's certainly nothing wrong with Dillon, if you really want to go that route but, honestly, if this is really all you're looking for, a Lee LCT would do the job just as well.

Posts: 116 | Registered: March 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of y-not
posted Hide Post
I have thought about doing the same thing, when you want to load only a few rounds the 650 is not the way to go. right now I use a friends 550b for that.

“Denial kills you twice. It kills you once, at your moment of truth when you are not physically prepared: You didn’t bring your gun; you didn’t train. Your only defense was wishful thinking. Hope is not a strategy. Denial kills you a second time because even if you do physically survive, you are psychologically shattered by fear, helplessness, horror and shame at your moment of truth.”

Posts: 642 | Location: Pinellas Park, Fl | Registered: January 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
In my experience, nothing in the world works better for load development than a Redding T-7.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8196 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigcrazy7:
In my experience, nothing in the world works better for load development than a Redding T-7.

Or a Bonanza Co-Ax press, with the simple, push dies in and out feature. Saves time. But the Redding IS probably the OP's best option.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FN in MT:
quote:
Originally posted by sigcrazy7:

Or a Bonanza Co-Ax press, with the simple, push dies in and out feature. Saves time. But the Redding IS probably the OP's best option.

ditto on the Co-Ax

excellent press

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10409 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
The Forster Co-Ax is a great press, no doubt. However, for working up loads, perhaps it isn’t as good as the Redding. With the Co-Ax, you cannot make quick adjustments to shoulder bump using shims or competition shell holders. Also, the T-7 is built like it’s sold by the pound, so it’s a very sturdy press compared to other turrets.

Perhaps you guys with Co-Ax presses know more than me about it. I’ve never spent serious time with one. But I am always looking for an excuse. Smile

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8196 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ed308
posted Hide Post
The 550 is a great press. But I see no need to load develop on a 550 over your single stage RCBS. Like you, I have a 650 for loads I've develop and have a need to pump out a large volume ammo. But for precision rifle loads, wildcats, hunting loads and load development all of those are are process on my single stage Hornady Iron Press.

Posts: 605 | Location: DFW Area | Registered: January 12, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I run my 550b in single with no problems. You can run the the press forward and backward, also you can pull the round out, and reinstal in amy position.

Posts: 474 | Location: Minnesota  | Registered: June 14, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
I run both 550 & 650. If I had to sell one it would probably be the 650. The 550 is just so simple to run & keep running. It isn't slow either. I can load 400rds an hour, including filling primer tubes, pretty easily.

IF YOU AREN'T HANDLOADING, YOU AREN'T SHOOTING ENOUGH!
NRA Instruc: Basic Pistol & Met Reloading

Posts: 7789 | Location: ca, usa | Registered: February 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post