SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Reloading    Dillon dies for .223 ?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dillon dies for .223 ? Login/Join 
posted
I have a RL550 and would like to get a set of .223 dies and start reloading for that caliber. I am experienced with reloading for handguns.

I note that the three-die Dillon set is steel and that one could order a full length carbide re-sizing die.

Any recommendations on die sets?

If it matters I am planning to load 62 gr. Bullets.

Thanks,

Silent

Posts: 1019 | Registered: February 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No matter on the bullet type or weight.

Don't waste your $$$ on the carbide dies. You will still have to use case lube regardless. the only advantage is the longevity of the die itself in interior dimension.

I have a close friend who is a commercial reloader - about 40-50,000 rounds per day at capacity. He said he replaces a steel FL resize die in 223.... every blue moon.

I would suggest and do like the Lee Factory crimp die better than the Dillon crimp die.

Andrew

Duty is the sublimest word in the English Language - Gen Robert E Lee.

Posts: 861 | Registered: May 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
I’ll second the LEE Factory Crimp die...I’ve been using the RCBS small based die for .223 and .308 for a very long time and with proper case lube I’ve never had an issue with them “wearing out” from use...same with LEE dies in 25-06 an .250 Savage.

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
Plowing straight ahead come what may
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10580 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you El Cid and Brisley. I will follow your advice.

Silent

Posts: 1019 | Registered: February 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
More persistent
than capable
posted Hide Post
If you are loading for an AR look into a small base die set to avoid feeding issues

Lick the lollipop of mediocrity once and you suck forever.

Posts: 1083 | Location: North | Registered: August 27, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Edge seeking
Sharp blade!
posted Hide Post
I think the Dillon rifle carbide dies lower the effort to resize if that matters to you.

Posts: 7437 | Location: Over the hills and far away | Registered: January 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
I also use the Dillon dies with the Lee factory crimp die. Great combo.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17248 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Who else?
Picture of Jager
posted Hide Post
These are the correct answers.

Posts: 2568 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: October 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post