SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Reloading    Little Crow Gunworks WFT Trimmer
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Little Crow Gunworks WFT Trimmer Login/Join 
posted
I'm looking to get rid of my Lyman EZEE Trim trimmer in an attempt to lessen the load on my hands during case prep.

I've looked at the Giraud offerings, and while I'd love a Tri-Way (my first choice), it's currently off the table as it's not offered on Amazon, and I have gift cards that more than cover the cost of the WFT.

So, anyone have experience with it?

"In order to understand recursion, you must first learn the principle of recursion."

Posts: 2355 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: August 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
so sexy it hurts
Picture of agony
posted Hide Post
I bought one on a whim a couple years ago because I wanted to trim while watching hockey on television.

Turns out my hand drill was louder than my Giraud trimmer.

I used it to trim approx 3,000 .223 cases.
It is definitely better than a manual trimmer, but it's kind of a pain to do it handheld.
I eventually clamped the drill to my bench so that I could insert the case down into the WFT.
Trimming sideways or attaching the trimmer to a drill press causes the shavings to collect around the shoulder and you don't get a decent trim.

If it were me I'd get the Tri Way if I had to choose between the two.

"You have the right not to be killed..."

The Clash, "Know Your Rights"

Posts: 26051 | Location: Westizzle Virgizzle | Registered: December 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bamf
Picture of DevlDogs55
posted Hide Post
I don't have experience with the WFT, I use the Trim It 2 and absolutely love it. Not sure if it's changed - but the WFT only trims, is that right? The Trim It 2 chamfers and deburrs in the same step. You can change out caliber inserts just like the WFT. It's also on Amazon! I really do like mine. I would have the tri way if they had the ability to change calibers when I got my Trim It.. I think they do offer that now though.

"I have a suggestion to keep you all occupied. Learn to swim" - Ænema

1st Battalion 7th Marines

Posts: 4554 | Location: Puyallup, WA | Registered: November 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
I bought that,built platform with variable speed drive and controller with parallel champer and chaffer cutters on it. All running from belt.
I also got the inserts for 5 7 X 28 223 06 and 08
When set this way its great and very quite.

Posts: 20611 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of exx1976
posted Hide Post
Another recommendation for a Giraud Tri-Way - especially if it's a caliber you may load in volume, like 223 or blackout.

You'll get real sick of chamfer/debur after.

The only reason I buy WFT anymore is if there's not a Tri-Way in the caliber I need.

Every time you make a typo, the errorists win.

Posts: 14847 | Location: Location, Location  | Registered: April 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DevlDogs55:
I don't have experience with the WFT, I use the Trim It 2 and absolutely love it. Not sure if it's changed - but the WFT only trims, is that right? The Trim It 2 chamfers and deburrs in the same step. You can change out caliber inserts just like the WFT. It's also on Amazon! I really do like mine. I would have the tri way if they had the ability to change calibers when I got my Trim It.. I think they do offer that now though.

I think we may have a winner here. It's a bit more than the Giraud, but since I have gift cards that's not an issue.

As I mentioned, I'd absolutely love a Giraud, and one day I will, along with a motor. But for now it's off the table so I have to look at the competitors' offerings.

"In order to understand recursion, you must first learn the principle of recursion."

Posts: 2355 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: August 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of exx1976
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vulrath:
quote:
Originally posted by DevlDogs55:

I think we may have a winner here. It's a bit more than the Giraud, but since I have gift cards that's not an issue.

As I mentioned, I'd absolutely love a Giraud, and one day I will, along with a motor. But for now it's off the table so I have to look at the competitors' offerings.

Your other option is to sell the Amazon cards at a slight discount, and then use the "free cash" to buy wherever you want.

Every time you make a typo, the errorists win.

Posts: 14847 | Location: Location, Location  | Registered: April 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bamf
Picture of DevlDogs55
posted Hide Post
There is a bit of adjustment needed on the cutter, in addition to changing the bushing, when switching over to a new caliber - but it's not too bad. I've been very happy with mine. Now I just need to save up for the Giraud annealer!

There are quite a few YouTube videos reviewing and describing the Trim It 2 - I'd suggest checking them out too.

"I have a suggestion to keep you all occupied. Learn to swim" - Ænema

1st Battalion 7th Marines

Posts: 4554 | Location: Puyallup, WA | Registered: November 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, I just bought the Trim It. Hopefully it won't have the concentricity/balance issues I've been reading about. If it does, it'll go back and I'll get the Giraud.

posted Hide Post
WFT is the fastest. I have one for .223 and .308.

“The more corrupt the State, the more numerous are its laws”
– Tacitus

Posts: 560 | Registered: October 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Little Crow Gunworks WFT Trimmer

I have one in 308 223 and 6.8

I mount it in a drill press for ease of use and once you set it the measurements are very consistent.

Posts: 13067 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blue68f100
posted Hide Post
quote:
Well, I just bought the Trim It. Hopefully it won't have the concentricity/balance issues I've been reading about. If it does, it'll go back and I'll get the Giraud.

I added a couple of extra set screws to adj the wobble out of mine. Mounted in a drill press running at 800 rpm. Works good and fast. The hardest part is getting the 3 way cutter adjusted right.

I had sent my first one back since it was so bad. I then suggested adding another set screw 180 from the locking one to take up the slack. He was going to test to see if that would work. It's a simple fix and cost just a few minutes to the time required to make them.

David

P229R 9mm, Nitron, Beavertail Frame, Night Sights, DA/SA, SRT & Short Reach Trigger

Posts: 3367 | Location: Piney Woods of East Texas | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Blue68f100:
quote:

I added a couple of extra set screws to adj the wobble out of mine. ...

I had sent my first one back since it was so bad. I then suggested adding another set screw 180 from the locking one to take up the slack. He was going to test to see if that would work.

The fact that this seems to be a relatively common problem with this product and the maker has so far seemed disinclined to address it would tend to encourage me to look elsewhere.

I only plan to load one caliber--at least to start: .308 Win. So I think the Giraud will be the way I'll go. I'll be surprised if I ever do more than one, possibly two, additional rifle calibers.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe

Posts: 10218 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You and I are pretty much doing the same thing. At the moment I'm only loading for 308, though that can and likely will change with the caliber of my bolt gun (or if I get another one Wink).

It's great to know that the problem can be easily corrected, however something like that really needs to be done at the factory. Especially when the competition is $50 cheaper, and implementing the fix yourself will void the warranty.

I got it Wednesday, but I haven't had time to chuck it in the drill to test it and finish setting the cutter. Hopefully everything will work out. I really don't want to go through the hassle of returning it.