SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Reloading    Lyman Reloading - Universal Press Stand
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lyman Reloading - Universal Press Stand Login/Join 
Buy that Classic SIG in All Stainless,
No rail wear will be painless.
Picture of cee_Kamp
posted
I moved several years ago and the new to us house doesn't have a basement. The previous two houses had basements. I needed something to mount various (progressive and single stage) reloading presses to a reloading bench and didn't like anything that was on the market.

I have held off doing any significant reloading quantity due to the reloading press mounting system lack of products/options. I've done small batches of hunting ammo (low volume) but cranking out thousands of rounds of 9mm, .45ACP, and .38 Lapua on the progressive machine just doesn't work clamping the reloading press to the bench with C-clamps.

I'm a USPSA Member, and in a recent issue of FRONT SIGHT magazine, one of the magazine contributors wrote a article about the Lyman Reloading Universal Press Stand.

It was always out-of-stock at the Lyman website but recently in-stock at Brownell's.

I ordered one and got it installed.

https://www.lymanproducts.com/...niversal-press-stand

The reloading press universal press stand (call it a mounting bracket) is made from stamped/formed 3/16" steel plates that bolt together. The top plate where the reloading press mounts is index able to four different reloading press pre-drilled patterns, and comes with a second top plate that has three other pre-drilled reloading press mounting patterns,
and the fourth is blank so you can drill your own pattern.

The Lyman system is quite similar to the Dillon "Strong Mount" design, and the Lyman system will allow you to mount most reloading presses with the pre-drilled top plate options (seven choices available) and if you have a reloading press that isn't listed for applicable fitment,
if you have a electric drill, center punch, and assorted drill bits you can drill your own hole pattern on the top plate that comes blank.

As a temporary measure (several years), we've been buying store bought 9mm ammo at Walmart. But with the fairly recent Walmart corporate policy concerning not selling pistol ammo any longer, I knew it was time to get off my lazy retired ass and get the progressive machine running again.

I live in New York (upstate) and it's illegal to purchase ammo online (with delivery to your home) so options are limited.
Online ammo can be purchased here, but it must be delivered to a FFL only, so they want their "cut" for handling the ammo transaction.

We found a place just over the border in Pennsylvania where we can do our annual stock-up on cast lead projectiles, various powder choices, and primers.

I need to run some electric power near the reloading press for some high intensity LED lighting, but I'm close enough now to see the finish line.

Volume reloading equals volume shooting!

The Lyman mounting system is the answer to my reloading problem, I highly recommend it!

And best of all, no ammo sales tax revenue to "Lil Andy" (Governor)

NRA Benefactor Life Member
NRA Instructor
USPSA Chief Range Officer

Posts: 1497 | Registered: December 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just an ACARS message
with feelings
Picture of qxsoup
posted Hide Post
Pics?
I have a Lee press and I want to get it mounted higher than what my bench is. I was looking at this stand the other day. Nice to hear that you like it.

220/229/228/226/P6/225/XO/SP2022/239

Posts: 3062 | Location: The Queen City (the one in Ohio) | Registered: May 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cee_Kamp
posted Hide Post
The link to the manufacturer above has a variety of photos.
I don't have any photos of my personal setup.
The Lyman system takes the load off the front edge of the bench
and spreads it out over a much larger area.

NRA Instructor

Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
If the Lyman is out of stock, InLine Fabrication has a similar mount set up. I’ve got a couple of press specific InLine mounts and like them.

Do not send me to a heaven where there are no dogs.
Step Up or Stand Aside: Support the Troops !
Expectations are premeditated disappointments.

Posts: 8339 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cee_Kamp
posted Hide Post
Yes, I know I need to do some rust & dust cleanup on the press. It's an RCBS Rockchucker with an RCBS "Piggyback II" conversion unit installed. It's been a great machine for me!

Also, Lyman had the universal press stand available on their website recently.

IMG_20200603_192541251 by cee_Kamp 32ACP, on Flickr

IMG_20200603_192551696 by cee_Kamp 32ACP, on Flickr

IMG_20200608_171310608 by cee_Kamp 32ACP, on Flickr

IMG_20200608_171335674_HDR by cee_Kamp 32ACP, on Flickr

NRA Instructor

Picture of cee_Kamp
posted Hide Post
More progress yesterday.
It was a terrible day for being an electrician.
93 degrees and high humidity. But I got it done.
My reloading area is a three season attached sun room.It might even be usable in winter with a electric space heater. There is one anemic overhead light, and one outlet for the extra freezer. No place to plug in bright LED lighting while reloading.
I store my powder, primers and reloading dies inside the house.

I added a 20 amp quad outlet.
Installed a 5500 lumen LED 4' shop light.
Installed a 1000 lumen LED spot light.
Both are the HyperTough brand, from Walmart.
I bent a section of 5/16" redi-rod, bolted one end to an unused hole location on the Lyman Universal Press Stand, and attached the LED spot light on the other end. The LED spotlight is aimed at the reloader shell plate.

So it looks like the next step is get the press de-rusted and cleaned/oiled, and clean off the reloading bench.

IMG_20200610_204656367 by cee_Kamp 32ACP, on Flickr

IMG_20200610_204719636 by cee_Kamp 32ACP, on Flickr

IMG_20200610_204729852 by cee_Kamp 32ACP, on Flickr

IMG_20200610_204737877 by cee_Kamp 32ACP, on Flickr

NRA Instructor

Picture of cee_Kamp
posted Hide Post
I'm still waiting for a few replacement parts from RCBS to replace some items that are worn. (lifetime warranty)
The COVID has slowed them down in California per RCBS.

This reloading setup has reloaded hundreds of thousands of rounds from my serious USPSA competitive shooting days.

RCBS customer service is generally great.

The feature I have always disliked on the RCBS Piggyback II reloader conversion unit was/is the method the engineers chose for activating the powder measure.
It always seemed Rube Goldberg-ish.

See photos above.

I read online recently that RCBS had come up with a conversion for their Uniflow powder measures that activated the powder measure directly inline with the brass case under the powder measure station. (uses the brass case mouth upward motion to "stroke" the powder measure)

It will work on most 4 and 5 station progressive machines, including mine.

So I bought one and installed it.

I believe it's similar to Dillon's case activated system, however powder measures are different.

It's very slick and works great!

The new system is made from steel & aluminum, NO plastic.

The original system uses a plastic tube for mounting the Uniflow powder measure and drops the measured charge thru the plastic tube with a gravity positioned steel drop nozzle inside.
If you tighten the thumbscrew tight enough on the original system so that the powder measure doesn't wobble & wiggle, it distorts the plastic tube enough that the steel drop tube inside the plastic tube binds and the next time you cycle the press handle, it dumps the powder charge all over the shellplate, instead of inside the brass case ready to receive the powder charge.

See my video here of the new Uniflow case activated system:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8139...7_194257935.mp4?dl=0

NRA Instructor

Picture of cee_Kamp
posted Hide Post
The RCBS warranty replacement parts arrived today.
I got them installed.
I removed the .38 Lapua dies and boxed them up.
I installed a new set of RCBS 9mm carbide dies.
(I've done a ton of reloading before, just never loaded 9mm Luger before)
Also, since I seat bullets and taper crimp on two different press stations, I needed another seat/crimp die. I had a 9mm Lee taper crimp die in stock here at the house. So I installed it on station five.

I adjusted all the dies and fine tuned the press. (removed rust & dust also)
I'm using a semi-locally produced 125 grain round nose hard cast lead bullet.
Winchester brass & primers, and 4.4 to 4.5 grains of Hodgdon CFE Pistol powder.
And a bonus, 4.4 grains is the starting load in the manual, so it should be a mild shooting load.
Velocity per online Hodgdon manual, about 1040 fps to 1055 fps.
Perfect for USPSA Production Division power factor minimum.
125 PF is minimum, this should be about 128 PF to 131 PF.

I will check my velocity with my chronograph to be sure.

So, after the progressive press sat unused for more than a decade,
I produced 100 rounds of 9mm ammo this afternoon.
With the LED 1000 lumen spotlight installed on the redi-rod "stalk", it's easy to visually inspect the height of the powder column in the brass case before setting a bullet on the brass case prior to seating it.
I checked all of them in a Dillon 9mm case gauge and they all fit.

The three season sunroom is similar to doing your reloading in a garage.
I store my dies, powder, and primers inside the house when not actually doing reloading.

My local range is close, 10 minutes or so driving time.
I will try and get out Sunday and test fire the "new" 9mm ammo!

This morning while having my coffee, I did a cost analysis on my 9mm reloading components.
Not counting brass ( I have thousands of fired cases) it's between 11 cents and 12 cents per each loaded round.

IMG_20200619_183516517_HDR by cee_Kamp 32ACP, on Flickr

IMG_20200619_183528081 by cee_Kamp 32ACP, on Flickr

IMG_20200619_183538613 by cee_Kamp 32ACP, on Flickr

NRA Instructor

Picture of cee_Kamp
posted Hide Post
I made it to the range yesterday even with all the Father's Day stuff going on!
I know, priorities...

The new 9mm load worked perfectly.
It's been many years since I fired cast lead/lubed bullets.

It appears I had forgotten just how "smokey" they are.

NRA Instructor

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cee_Kamp:

I live in New York (upstate) and it's illegal to purchase ammo online (with delivery to your home) so options are limited.
Online ammo can be purchased here, but it must be delivered to a FFL only, so they want their "cut" for handling the ammo transaction.

You are mistaken about that. Targetsportsusa.com delivers to my door on Long Island NY. I mostly reload but sometimes don't have time with an upcoming match.

Posts: 43 | Location: Long Island | Registered: September 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cee_Kamp
posted Hide Post
time2shoot,
Just because targetsportsusa.com delivers ammo to your location, that doesn't make it "legal"...

See this link from the NY State Police.
https://safeact.ny.gov/sites/d...ceSuperintendent.pdf

The Safe Act made it a crime to receive ammo any other way other than in person sales.
(the only acceptable (LEGAL) choices are from a FFL or registered ammo seller)
See item 2) on the State Police letter.

sgammo.com is another very popular online ammo seller.
Go to this page: https://www.sgammo.com/questions
Fourth item down the list.
sgammo obviously cares about their NY customers and won't put them in legal jeopardy.

I'm aware some online ammo sellers will ship to NY residents home addresses, I chose not to do so as it is in violation of NY State law.

The specific statute puts the legal burden on the buyer, not the seller.
Why would targetsportsusa.com care? Answer: They don't care if your ass is in trouble.
And they operate their business from outside of New York State.

Here is section 50 of the Safe Act:
Section 50 of the bill enhances control over sales of ammunition by
adding a new Penal Law § 400.03 requiring (1) that sellers of
ammunition register with the superintendent of the State Police (2)
that prior to a sale of ammunition, a seller must run the buyer
through a State-created review of disqualifiers to ensure that the
buyer is not prohibited by law from possessing ammunition, and (3)
that ammunition sales are electronically accessible to the State. In
addition, to prevent from purchasing ammunition, the bill requires
that any ammunition sold commercially must be conducted by a seller
that can perform a background check.

The entire Safe Act text is here:
https://www.nysenate.gov/legislation/bills/2013/s2230
It's great reading if you feel like puking...

So... time2shoot, how do you like being a criminal?

NRA Instructor

Picture of cee_Kamp
posted Hide Post
As I mentioned in this thread earlier, we found a small Mom & Pop (literally) cast lead bullet supplier "just" over the border in PA. With the current ammo shortages, and the NY prohibitions on ordering online ammo, it simply becomes mandatory to reload for 9mm.

It was a very pleasant day here in upstate NY today. Road Trip! The Bulldog likes road trips also.
They actually opened the cast lead bullet store today on a Holiday weekend Sunday so we could pick up our order.

6000 hard cast lead bullets. 9mm, 125 grain round nose. A pretty good price break at the 3000 mark.
(qualifies as "bulk")

Small pistol primers are the new "toilet paper" and everyone is sold out.

The cast lead bullet people had 2000 Winchester small pistol magnum primers. I bought them.

I guess we are set for 9mm reloading supplies now for a while.

NRA Instructor