SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Reloading    What's your best powder for 9MM
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What's your best powder for 9MM Login/Join 
and this little pig said:
posted
Went to the range today and took a Sig 9mm with me, I had reloaded the rounds with 4gr W231. That was unbelievably smoky and dirty. What powders might I use for a cleaner Load?

Posts: 3396 | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I love Vitavhori N320. It is great for the heavies. Burns very clean.

andrew

Duty is the sublimest word in the English Language - Gen Robert E Lee.

Posts: 861 | Registered: May 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Suggest Hodgdons Universal.

PC

Posts: 1332 | Location: NW Wyoming | Registered: November 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have been using Ramshot True Blue and AA#5 with 124 gr FMJ and plated bullets for the past several years, seems fairly clean and meters well in my Hornady Lock-n-Load AP.

Posts: 312 | Location: Ohio | Registered: January 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
I use Titegroup with lighter bullets(115) & range/plinking loads, then H Universal for the heavier bullets.

I will say, a good assortment of powders are out there. I’ve been trying to use powders that cover a wide spectrum, get 8 lbs at a time.

Posts: 6132 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by El Cid 92:
I love Vitavhori N320. It is great for the heavies. Burns very clean.

andrew

+1

Posts: 39 | Registered: May 11, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
Still a new reloader, but I really like CFE Pistol. I was able to get good results with 125,135 and 147gr bullets. Doesn’t seem to affect the coated bullets. It’s a little dirty at low charges, even with plated bullets, but higher charges are better.

Do not send me to a heaven where there are no dogs.
Step Up or Stand Aside: Support the Troops !
Expectations are premeditated disappointments.

Posts: 8339 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like HS-6 for 115 gr bullets. Like many powders it is cleaner burning at higher charge levels.

Posts: 1190 | Location: Moved to N.W. MT. | Registered: April 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like H-Universal(can use it for 9mm/40S&W/41 Mag/45ACP/45Colt/20ga/28ga) but also like H-CFE Pistol(works well in 9mm/40S&W/45ACP). I am more interested in reasonable accuracy without having too many different powders on the shelf.

A superior pilot is best defined as one who uses his superior judgment to avoid situations requiring the use of his superior skill.

Posts: 367 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: June 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RGRacing
posted Hide Post
quote:
CFE Pistol

Gets my vote - Clean enough and usually available. Plated 124's - 4.4g - Coated 147's 3.7g.

Posts: 493 | Location: Mpls, MN | Registered: January 05, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
You didn’t mention what bullet weight, so I’ll assume 115-124 grn. 4 grains is at or below the minimum load for W231. The problem might not be the powder, but those light loads. Ball powders don’t work well with light loads. First try upping the loading a bit to see if the load cleans up before looking around for a new powder.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8202 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Power Pistol will do the job for you.

Posts: 6601 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
I like HS6 for 9mm. It fills the case to the point that it would be next to impossible to double-charge, it's been consistent with 115-135 grain projectiles (I don't load heavier bullets in 9mm), and it's not unnecessarily flashy like power pistol, but it is slow burning enough to show some decent velocity improvements out of carbine-length barrels. It also burns pretty clean. I buy the stuff in 8lb jugs, and have been very happy with it.

The one thing I have noticed is that it doesn't like light charges in large-volume cases. I had issues with getting full powder-burn and consistency problems with it in .38 spcl, even when using magnum primers. Not an issue with 9mm, though.

Posts: 8417 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
quote:
Went to the range today and took a Sig 9mm with me, I had reloaded the rounds with 4gr W231. That was unbelievably smoky and dirty. What powders might I use for a cleaner Load?

IF you are loading lighter bullets than 147gr, that is the problem with incomplete burning. For lighter loads go faster powders. For full power loads, I like WSF, but other medium burners work fine too, any bullet weight. For light loads I like WST but again sim burn rate powders will do just as well.

IF YOU AREN'T HANDLOADING, YOU AREN'T SHOOTING ENOUGH!
NRA Instruc: Basic Pistol & Met Reloading

Posts: 7789 | Location: ca, usa | Registered: February 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have had good luck with HP38.

Posts: 4024 | Registered: January 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blue68f100
posted Hide Post
I use WSF for all my 9mm, loads. It's a ball powder and meters very accurate with most all powder dispensers.

David

P229R 9mm, Nitron, Beavertail Frame, Night Sights, DA/SA, SRT & Short Reach Trigger

Posts: 3464 | Location: Piney Woods of East Texas | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Delta-3
posted Hide Post
I prefer AA #7 but HS-6 is also an outstanding powder for 9mm. As is power pistol

Rom 13:4 If you do evil, be afraid. For he does not bear the sword in vain. For he is God's minister, an avenger to execute wrath on him who practices evil.

Posts: 702 | Location: NW Ohio but Montana is always home. | Registered: September 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you are getting a lot of smoke and residue you are probably shooting lead bullets. With lead bullets it is the bullet lube that smokes and contributes to gunk left behind; not so much the powder. Switch to plated or FMJ or even coated bullets.

I shoot mostly coated bullets and TiteGroup powder ......leaves my gun very clean; no smoke

Posts: 393 | Location: Florida Gulf Coast | Registered: October 17, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Who else?
Picture of Jager
posted Hide Post
Second on the Power Pistol.

It was made for 9mm.

I also use it for 45 ACP.

If I'm thinking economy, Titegroup.

I do like 231, but could not get satisfactory results in 9mm, only 45 ACP.

Posts: 2568 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: October 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
and this little pig said:
posted Hide Post
quote:
You didn’t mention what bullet weight, so I’ll assume 115-124 grn

Yeah, didn't supply that crucial piece of info.....
Currently have some Rainier, 124gr, plated bullets. This is what I've been using for a long time.
I'll have to find something else that's plated. I have some of the newer powders like CFE. Might try that.
I also have loaded with WST/WSF in the past. I was just very surprised with the smoke and nastiness of the W231.
Thanks for all your replies. Getting close to retirement and will have more time to reload and chronograph! Cool

Posts: 3396 | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post