SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Reloading    Reloading Inventory SigForum special
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Reloading Inventory SigForum special Login/Join 
Alea iacta est
posted
Don't know how many of you venture into pitch your bitch, but as a result of a thread in there, my reloading app will be on sale beginning Monday, 3/20 when I wake up, and ending Friday 3/24 before I go to bed - for $2.99

Anyone here that hasn't gotten it yet, put it on your calendar!

Posts: 15665 | Location: Location, Location  | Registered: April 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by exx1976:

I would pay the full price, but only when the iOS version is available. Smile

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by henryaz:
quote:

So much truth there. I've heard the same thing from hundreds of other people. Wink

I'm trying as hard as I can to make the Android version profitable enough to buy the necessary hardware to do it! Big Grin

Posts: 15665 | Location: Location, Location  | Registered: April 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
What's the name for downloading?

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Only in an insane world are the sane considered insane.

The memories of a man in his old age
Are the deeds of a man in his prime

Posts: 14020 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LS1 GTO:
What's the name for downloading?

Reloading Inventory.

Or click this direct link from your phone.

Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:

quote:

So much truth there. I've heard the same thing from hundreds of other people. Wink

I'm trying as hard as I can to make the Android version profitable enough to buy the necessary hardware to do it! Big Grin

I already knew as much, just ribbing you. Mac Mini, XCode or Swift (free), and an iPhone, only about $2k. Smile

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

quote:

I already knew as much, just ribbing you. Mac Mini, XCode or Swift (free), and an iPhone, only about $2k. Smile

I don't know if a Mac Mini will meet the requirements.

Truth be told, I haven't put a WHOLE lot of time into figuring out exactly what I'll need, other than knowing I'll need apple branded hardware (handset and computer).

Literally the ONLY thing I'll be doing with the thing is coding - no games, no internet browsing, no audio/video, nothing like that. If you have experience, and can point me at the most economical way to accomplish this, I'm ALL ears!

Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
If you have experience, and can point me at the most economical way to accomplish this, I'm ALL ears!

I have no programming experience, but I am aware that XCode and Swift are the two major programming suites used in developing for iOS. Both are free. The OS is free. As far as hardware, unless you can scrounge a deal on used, a new Mini and iPhone would be adequate. The Mini is no Mac Pro, but you don't need a Mac Pro. You may find you actually like the OS-X/MacOS environment. It is largely FreeBSD based. Their GUI beats X Windows to hell and back.

In suggesting a Mini, I am assuming you already have a monitor, keyboard, and mouse.

Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
If you have experience, and can point me at the most economical way to accomplish this, I'm ALL ears!

I have no programming experience, but I am aware that XCode and Swift are the two major programming suites used in developing for iOS. Both are free. The OS is free. As far as hardware, unless you can scrounge a deal on used, a new Mini and iPhone would be adequate. The Mini is no Mac Pro, but you don't need a Mac Pro. You may find you actually like the OS-X/MacOS environment. It is largely FreeBSD based. Their GUI beats X Windows to hell and back.

In suggesting a Mini, I am assuming you already have a monitor, keyboard, and mouse.

The development software is free, yes, I had read that. It's the hardware cost that gets me, because it must be done on a Mac OS, and legally, you can only run Mac OS on Mac hardware - and I'm told by another developer that apple can tell if you are using Mac hardware or not when you go to publish the app. The compiler must include some hardware information in the build process, I don't know.

If a mini has the horsepower to do it, then I'll look into that.

As for a keyboard/mouse/monitor - that all depends on what type of connections are required. USB mice/keyboards are cheap enough, but I do know apple keyboards have different keys on them than PC keyboards, and the mice only have a single button, right? So I'd have to buy those.

I have several monitors here, but they are all VGA connections. I don't know what Macs use for monitor connections.

And $2k for a used machine and used phone? That's obscene. I'm coding now on a Surface Pro 4 that I bought January 2016 for less than $2k, brand new. i5, 16GB RAM, 500GB SSD. It's a very fast, very nice machine, and Android studio was free. It also includes emulators to run the app on literally any android hardware you want - and of course I also run it on a couple of physical devices that I already own (which were WAY less expensive than an iphone!).

Oh, the humanity... LOL

Hoping for better pharmaceuticals
Picture of AZSigs
posted Hide Post
Is this more of an inventory control app vs a reloading data app?

Getting shot is no achievement. Hitting your enemy is. NRA Endowment Member . NRA instructor

Posts: 8752 | Location: Peoria, Arizona | Registered: April 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AZSigs:
Is this more of an inventory control app vs a reloading data app?

It doesn't provide any reloading data (like the Berger book would, for example).

What it does is store all your inventory, and then you define YOUR load data in the app by choosing powder, primer, bullet, and brass from your inventory. So, it'll keep track of YOUR data, so you don't have to worry about a notebook or scraps of paper or however you've been doing it. What it won't do is provide you starting loads or book max for thousands of cartridges and bullets.

So, you enter CFE-223, Sierra 69gr SMK, Lake City 223 brass, and CCI #41 primers. Then you define a load using those components, and say you use 25.2gr of powder.

Then it keeps track of the quantity of that load definition that you have reloaded, and automatically deducts the info from your inventory.

So, say you start with 1000 primers, 1000 bullets, and 1000 pieces of brass, and 8# of powder.

After you define your load, then you just click on it and select "load", tell it how many you loaded, and it adjusts your inventory by that much. So if you say you loaded 500, it'll reduce the bullets, brass, and primers by 500, and reduce the amount of powder by 500 * the amount you specified.

Then, when you get back from the range, you click on that ammo and say "shoot", and tell it how many you shot. Then it'll reduce the number of loaded rounds by that much. It'll also ask you how many pieces of brass you picked up, and if you want to increment the number of times fired.

So, say you started with once-fired Lake City. You load 500. Then you go to the range, and fire 100. When you return those 100 to stock, they'll be returned as fired twice.

There's also a field on each component, as well as ammo, to define your low inventory warning. So you can say "if I get below 100 loaded rounds, I want to know" or "if I get below 8# of this powder, I want to know", and it'll show up on the Low Inventory list. So when you're shopping, you know what you need. Enter as much or as little info as you want, lot number, part number, etc etc.

It also tracks commercial ammo (and will return the brass in the same fashion, incrementing from 0 to 1 times fired), and rimfire ammo.

I'm currently working on the shotgun portion, and hope to have it completed tonight.

If you click the link in the post above, there are screenshots of the app in the Play Store to get a feel for how it looks, and the types of data you can enter. OAL, notes, descriptions, etc. I've tried to include everything people would want - except cost. The fields are there in the database, I just haven't implemented it all yet. There's going to be quite a bit of math involved, and I'm not sure yet how to present the data. I'm thinking it'll be an average per unit cost across all similar units. So, if you buy 1000 bullets for $100, your average cost per unit is 10 cents. Then your next order, you pay $120 for 1000 bullets, so the average cost would be 11 cents per unit.

One thing at a time though, and right now the focus is on adding shotgun data.

Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
The development software is free, yes, I had read that. It's the hardware cost that gets me, because it must be done on a Mac OS, and legally, you can only run Mac OS on Mac hardware - and I'm told by another developer that apple can tell if you are using Mac hardware or not when you go to publish the app. The compiler must include some hardware information in the build process, I don't know.

If a mini has the horsepower to do it, then I'll look into that.

As for a keyboard/mouse/monitor - that all depends on what type of connections are required. USB mice/keyboards are cheap enough, but I do know apple keyboards have different keys on them than PC keyboards, and the mice only have a single button, right? So I'd have to buy those.

I have several monitors here, but they are all VGA connections. I don't know what Macs use for monitor connections.

A recent vintage refurbished-by-Apple and warrantied-by-Apple Mini would run you $600 or so, with Thunderbolt ports. A TB->VGA adapter for $10 would get your monitor running. Any USB mouse will work (been a long time since Apple was one button only). Mouse preferences let you set it up the way you want; it does not need to be an Apple brand mouse. Any Windows USB keyboard will work. You just remap those couple of special keys using the Mac OS keyboard preferences, as long as you don't mind adapting to the keycap having the wrong symbol on it. So you are out maybe $650 so far. The unknown (for me, since I am not a developer) is what vintage of iPhone you would need. You can certainly get a refurbished, or even a good deal here on the Classifieds from time to time. The later the vintage you need, to develop with, the more $$. Certainly less than $500, maybe much less. So a realistic total would be more like $1000-$1100 (and perhaps less).

On the wrong side of
the Mobius strip
Picture of Patrick-SP2022
posted Hide Post
Have you looked at using Xamarin?

https://www.xamarin.com/

You are supposed to be able to build native IOS applications using c#.

Assuming you are familiar with c#.
It is also one of the templates in visual studio although I have not looked into this yet.

Posts: 4123 | Location: Texas | Registered: April 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Patrick-SP2022:
Have you looked at using Xamarin?

https://www.xamarin.com/

You are supposed to be able to build native IOS applications using c#.

Assuming you are familiar with c#.
It is also one of the templates in visual studio although I have not looked into this yet.

No, never looked at that.

No, don't know C# (though I do know C & C++ and VB.NET and (obviously) JAVA, so how hard could it be to pick up the syntax?).

Whatever that is, though, I'm sure it's not free either.. Frown

Also don't have Visual Studio, so there's another several hundred $ expense.. Frown

On the wrong side of
the Mobius strip
Picture of Patrick-SP2022
posted Hide Post

Posts: 4123 | Location: Texas | Registered: April 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Patrick-SP2022:
https://www.visualstudio.com/vs/community/

Free community edition.

Hrmm... Interesting.. That might be getting a wee little bit over my head since I'm not a professional dev, but it certainly has piqued my interest. Thank you for pointing me at that, I'm definitely going to look into it!

Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
Okay, I know I said when I wake up, but I just changed it now.

$2.99

Shotgun isn't finished yet. Probably be another few days. I'll be introducing a few more neat features then as well.

For those of you new to apps on your phone, don't worry, it'll auto-update and you'll get the new version for free, so go ahead and get it now with no worries. Smile

Hope you enjoy!

Picture of Blue68f100
posted Hide Post
Another Mac user here Smile

The mini's sell around $600 new. Have plenty of horse power for your need. Another good option would be the iMac. These are full Mac w/monitor(4k). If you have cloud storage the AirBooks are a very good deal too. Like a notebook computer but supper light and run a long time on battery. One thing you might want is the touch pad. This is for jesters that we use every day for navigation.

David

P229R 9mm, Nitron, Beavertail Frame, Night Sights, DA/SA, SRT & Short Reach Trigger

Posts: 3464 | Location: Piney Woods of East Texas | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of billnchristy
posted Hide Post
I've got a mini we aren't using. Even has an ssd in it.

------------------------------------
My books on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/William-...id=1383531982&sr=8-1
email if you'd like auto'd copies.

Posts: 17916 | Location: Lawrenceville GA | Registered: April 15, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by billnchristy:
I've got a mini we aren't using. Even has an ssd in it.

What OS version is on it, and how much would you need for it?

According to the apple docs, I would need:

Xcode 8.2.1 requires a Mac running macOS 10.11.5 or later.
Xcode 8.2.1 includes SDKs for iOS 10.2, watchOS 3.1, macOS 10.12.2, and tvOS 10.1. To develop apps targeting prior OS versions, see About SDKs and Simulator in What's New in Xcode, or when running Xcode, select Help > What's New in Xcode.