SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Reloading    Redding Type-S bushing die sets. Differences?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Redding Type-S bushing die sets. Differences? Login/Join 
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted
Hey all-

I have a Redding Type-S bushing die set for my 308.
This one:
https://www.brownells.com/relo...2.aspx?sku=749007879

I also have seen this one:
https://www.brownells.com/relo...2.aspx?sku=749007329

For reference, this will be used in a Remington 700 308 with Federal brass that has been fired in this rifle. Lapua brass will come later.

What's the difference and why would you want one or the other?

Thanks,

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4245 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caught in a loop
posted Hide Post
Neck dies only size the neck. They are typically paired with a body die. The idea behind them is to not touch the shoulder.

FL (Full Length) dies size the whole case.

FL is realistically the way to go, and that's achieved by FL sizing. If you walk up and ask any of the big name competition shooters they'll tell you that's what they do. Consistency is the name of the game, and neck sizing isn't as consistent.

I have 2 of these dies, one for my 6.5 Creedmoor and one for my 308. I absolutely love it on my 6.5. I haven't messed with the 308 die because USPS still hasn't pulled its head out of its ass after the snow storm a couple of weeks ago, but I suspect it'll work wonderfully.

What size bushings are you going to use?

"In order to understand recursion, you must first learn the principle of recursion."

Posts: 3349 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: August 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
Ok, good. I feel like I bought the right one, now. I have been using standard RCBS FL dies, up to now.

Bushings are hard to come by! I waited a long time to find a .331 and a .335 in TiN. Steel ones are almost as rare in those sizes so I waited for the better ones.

I have a RCBS precision mic on the way to help me set up the shoulder bump and OAL.

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4245 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
The top sticky in this section is from Nikon User. Read it, a few times. Good stuff. IIRC he talks about full length vs. neck only sizing. You have to read it to find the answer. Razz

Posts: 5734 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
Yep, read it all.
I think that full length dies can be set to size the neck only so I was confused as to the utility of the 3 die set over the 2 die set.

Bruce

-Niccolo Machiavelli

Caught in a loop
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RNshooter:
Yep, read it all.
I think that full length dies can be set to size the neck only so I was confused as to the utility of the 3 die set over the 2 die set.

Bruce

Yeah, you can set it to give zero shoulder bump but still size the portion of your neck you want to size (I hit half at most).

"In order to understand recursion, you must first learn the principle of recursion."

Posts: 3349 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: August 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
This video explains these dies and what they can do, and why I use a bushing die for my target ammo.

https://youtu.be/UpSNPY3zXfo

I do what he does, and use hornady lock rings, and I don’t use the expander button....the bushing squishes the neck to the diameter I want to use for neck tension.

Important to use one lot of brass..don’t use mixed brass.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11246 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post