SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Reloading    Karma: 6mm and 270 Herters dies
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted
Hey all-

I inherited a bunch of Herters dies. They have features that I am not familiar with. Slidey-things and cut out windows, etc. I am looking to find instructions on how to use and set them up.

I would like to instant Karma the 6mm and 270 dies. All I would ask for is a little knowledge so I can use the 30 06 dies that I am keeping. Maybe some PDF instructions?

Anybody interested in some gifted dies and gifting me with some know how?

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4245 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
https://www.ch4d.com/support/product-manuals

Herters didn’t really make any dies themselves, but relabeled dies made from various manufacturers. It seems to be varied, but CH out of Ohio was one of the more common makers. Now they have morphed into ch4d.com, with an active website.

The dies they make today, are likely different from those of yesteryear. There was a reloading pdf from 1962 that mentioned Herters a lot from nz.

http://www.nzha.co.nz/wp-conte...rs-Digest-1962-S.pdf

For the 200+ pages not a whole lot of helpful info, though there is mention or Herters die setup, pages 49-50 mainly.

For the most part, ‘most’ dies have a similar setup. Of course there are a few anomalies. Herters die reviews seem mixed at best.

Thanks but I’m not trying to qualify for any karma. I don’t reload those rounds & am trying to limit new chamberings. Not even sure if any of this info is helpful.

I caught the tail end of Herters notoriety back in the 70’s. The store was a must stop on a family trip to SD back in the day.

Posts: 6132 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Have you looked for info over at castboolits?
https://tinyurl.com/rreav5pa

I'm alright it's the rest of the world that's all screwed up!

Posts: 1363 | Location: Southern Michigan | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post