SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Reloading    Prvi brass, any good?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Prvi brass, any good? Login/Join 
Picture of The Bandit
posted
I am looking at getting some 45-70 to shoot and then reload. Has anybody used their brass? Good or bad? Thanks

Posts: 4246 | Location: Erie, Pa, USA | Registered: April 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
I've shot a bit of their M1 ammo and reloaded it. Granted I was loading it for service rifle so I wasn't overly picky, but I found their brass pretty good. It seemed a lot like using surplus brass. The Chechs have been making weapons and ammo for along time.

[i]

Posts: 4492 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
http://sigforum.com/eve/forums...0601935/m/3630071514

Big Grin

"How dreadful are the curses which Mohammedanism lays on its votaries! Besides the fanatical frenzy, which is as dangerous in a man as hydrophobia in a dog, there is this fearful fatalistic apathy." Winston Churchill

Posts: 11686 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of The Bandit
posted Hide Post
Thanks to you both. I'll try some of both, shoot the Prvi and reload both!

Posts: 4246 | Location: Erie, Pa, USA | Registered: April 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jmorris
posted Hide Post
Their ammunition doesn't always shoot very good but I have had good results with the brass.

Posts: 334 | Location: DFW | Registered: May 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2tonicP220
posted Hide Post
Have used, and continue to use it in harder to find calibers; 7.5x54 French, 7.5x55 Swiss, and like it in 6.5x55, because it uses the correct rim diameter as compared to the smaller Rem/Win. Their 7.62x54R brass reloads well, but is much lighter than Norma when I compared the two.

Might try their 7.7x58 one day, if I get tired of trimming, and fire-forming 06 brass, and to see how it's dimensioned. Bottom line, Privi brass has worked well for me, without any surprises. Good luck.

Posts: 1875 | Location: W PA | Registered: March 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of The Bandit
posted Hide Post
Thanks for more info! I will try some of theirs and other brass as well! love the 45-70 round

Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
I've sure taken a liking to it as well. Just got a shipment of 500gr hard cast yesterday so I'll be busy tonight.

Giving serious thought to casting my own.

"How dreadful are the curses which Mohammedanism lays on its votaries! Besides the fanatical frenzy, which is as dangerous in a man as hydrophobia in a dog, there is this fearful fatalistic apathy." Winston Churchill

Posts: 11686 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of The Bandit
posted Hide Post
I have considered it too. Haven't jumped into it yet though.

Picture of 2tonicP220
posted Hide Post
Cut my teeth casting muzzle loading projectiles, shotgun slugs, and .30 caliber rifle bullets when I was a teenager... Never let up, and now cast for every caliber I have, aside from 5.56 and 6mm bullet. Many years ago, lead was practically free/was free, and you could easily get Linotype from print shops to alloy up some nice slugs.

If you can find lead cheap, you will save a tremendous amount of $, especially for heavier projectiles. Later you might like to start tinkering with custom lubes, and play around with sizing options. Want to shoot .359", 158 grain lead bullets from your 92FS, no problem. Have a revolver that likes a certain sizing, at a softer alloy than most casters will make, go for it. Have a shot-out "06" milsurp? Try using a long bearing surface, .312" cast bullet driven to around 2000 fps, and see how she shoots.

Heck, I would hunt small game with a 30/30 or 06 loaded with 150 grain cast bullets driven to bout 1000 fps. Casting opens up a whole new dimension to reloading, and is so satisfying having a billion different variable to play with. Jump in, the waters fine.

Posts: 1875 | Location: W PA | Registered: March 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of The Bandit
posted Hide Post
One of these days I would like o get into casting too. The 45-70 would be a fun one to start with!

posted Hide Post
A year or so ago, I was given 60 rounds of Priv "Match" .308 ammo, for evaluation. Since shooting it and reporting findings, I've reloaded the Priv brass 3 or 4 times, and consider it as good as my Winchester "same lot" brass and better than my GMM "same lot" brass.

Bolt rifle. Moderate load (168 SMK, 42.2 gr. Reloder 15, COAL 2.791" (about 14 thou jump), CCI LR primers. Brass is FL sized, and has been trimmed at least once. Annealing marks still visible. Primer pockets still tight.

Posts: 34 | Location: Boston | Registered: May 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RKG:
A year or so ago, I was given 60 rounds of Priv "Match" .308 ammo, for evaluation. Since shooting it and reporting findings, I've reloaded the Priv brass 3 or 4 times, and consider it as good as my Winchester "same lot" brass and better than my GMM "same lot" brass.

Bolt rifle. Moderate load (168 SMK, 42.2 gr. Reloder 15, COAL 2.791" (about 14 thou jump), CCI LR primers.) Brass is FL sized, and has been trimmed at least once. Annealing marks still visible. Primer pockets still tight.

Posts: 34 | Location: Boston | Registered: May 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post