SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Reloading    I need a garand recipe.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I need a garand recipe. Login/Join 
Just an ACARS message
with feelings
Picture of qxsoup
posted
Hello fellas,
I am just getting into reloading for my Garand finally and am having a hell of a time getting 4895.

Does anyone have a tried and true load for the M1 NOT using 4895? I know 4895 is the gold standard, just looking to see what else is out there.

220/229/228/226/P6/225/XO/SP2022/239

Posts: 3062 | Location: The Queen City (the one in Ohio) | Registered: May 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by qxsoup:
Hello fellas,
I am just getting into reloading for my Garand finally and am having a hell of a time getting 4895.

Does anyone have a tried and true load for the M1 NOT using 4895? I know 4895 is the gold standard, just looking to see what else is out there.

Bullet weight? There are a number of sites that provide such information especially for service rifles. let me find a url and get back

Posts: 1258 | Location: Duvall WA, USA | Registered: February 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
quote:
Hello fellas,

https://bearblain.com/Service%20Rifle%20Loadings.html

Quite a number, he draws from a variety of sources.

Posts: 1258 | Location: Duvall WA, USA | Registered: February 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just an ACARS message
with feelings
Picture of qxsoup
posted Hide Post
wow thanks for that. I only shoot 150 grain FMJ.

Posts: 3062 | Location: The Queen City (the one in Ohio) | Registered: May 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
quote:

The hodgdon 2020 manual has been out for awhile available on Amazon. Plus a number of powder manufacturers have online engines that generate recipes. Hodgdon has such a site 41 loads returned for 150 pill and any of their powders. The aforementioned 2020 manual has a separate section for service rifles at least for the 308.

Just an ACARS message
with feelings
Picture of qxsoup
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by markstempski:
quote:

The hodgdon 2020 manual has been out for awhile available on Amazon. Plus a number of powder manufacturers have online engines that generate recipes. Hodgdon has such a site 41 loads returned for 150 pill and any of their powders. The aforementioned 2020 manual has a separate section for service rifles at least for the 308.

Hmm, did not know that about their 2020 manual.
Do you have any personal experience with any load for the M1 not using 4985?

I am really looking to replicate M2 ball but with alternative powders.

posted Hide Post
With that bullet weight IMR4064. Always had more luck accuracy wise with that than H4895. You could also try BLC-2, Varget, or AAC2520.

Posts: 4022 | Registered: January 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

I am really looking to replicate M2 ball but with alternative powders.

The Hodgdon manual Is the magazine format they went to years ago. I have them for at least 6 years back not sure when the started. The usually feature a new powder or two every year and have articles. Actually worth the cover price. Rifle and pistol, all kinds of powder but what they have which includes the winchester powders and and IMR ones as well as hodgdon, no longer run by a family member oh well but not soaked up by ATK or some other godless conglomerate. Anyway, I shoot 308 not 3006. Other here may join in. While I have used other powders including IMR 4064 RL 15 and some of the swedish powders I like IMR 4895 the best. The next thousand will be IMR though not with Lapua brass or Lake City Match or some such. I suspect that won’t be too difficult to accommodate with IMR 4895 what I have is the same lot number. My M1as all shoot differently though I can make up a compromise load that is good in all 3. And should they get mixed isn’t the end of the world, the most attention is paid to the most tricked out M1a. sorry this is so long.

Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
I use 49.0 gr of IMR 4064 under a 147gr FMJ bullet in my Garand. It chronographs at 2725 FPS, which is just under the 2740 FPS spec of M2 Ball.

Posts: 8415 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by qxsoup:

I am really looking to replicate M2 ball but with alternative powders.[/QUOTE

The Hodgdon manual Is the magazine format they went to years ago. I have them for at least 6 years back not sure when the started. The usually feature a new powder or two every year and have articles. Actually worth the cover price. Rifle and pistol, all kinds of powder but what they have which includes the winchester powders and and IMR ones as well as hodgdon, no longer run by a family member oh well but not soaked up by ATK or some other godless conglomerate. Anyway, I shoot 308 not 3006. Other here may join in. While I have used other powders including IMR 4064 RL 15 and some of the swedish powders I like IMR 4895 the best. The next thousand will be IMR though not with Lapua brass or Lake City Match or some such. I suspect that won’t be too difficult to accommodate with IMR 4895 what I have is the same lot number. My M1as all shoot differently though I can make up a compromise load that is good in all 3. And should they get mixed isn’t the end of the world, the most attention is paid to the most tricked out M1a. sorry this is so long.

Hodgdon’s reloading data is online free of charge so you don’t have to buy the magazine. They have for at least a couple years.

Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 92fstech:
I use 49.0 gr of IMR 4064 under a 147gr FMJ bullet in my Garand. It chronographs at 2725 FPS, which is just under the 2740 FPS spec of M2 Ball.

when I shot Garand Matches, long ago, I used 46 gr 4064 pushing a Moly'ed 168SMK

that M1 shoot very well at 100 with that load,

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10409 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In military brass 44 to 47 gr of 4064 with either Sierra's 168 gr HP Match or the military 173 gr FMJBT. Either will do and are good for sub-2 MOA at 100 yds with my Service grade M1, M1-D, or H&R. Rod

5th Spl Forces, Air Force Bird Dog FAC, lll Corps RVN 69-70.... We enjoy the Bill of Rights by the sacrifices of our veterans;
Politicians, Preachers, Educators, Journalists and Community Organizers are beneficiaries, not defenders of our freedoms.

Posts: 725 | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you ever wanted to try a lighter bullet in the Garand 110 grain Sierra Varmiter w/ IMR3031. That load always shot very well for me w/ less recoil. IIRC a national match at Camp Perry was won a/ that load not all that long ago. Back on target faster in CMP type matches. 100 and 200 yards no problem. Past that w/ some wind it started to get bucked around a bit.

Honor and Integrity
posted Hide Post
A gunsmith I knew always used IMR 3031 for his garand 30-06. I want to say it was 46 grains with a 147 grain bullet, but my memory isn't what it used to be.

Posts: 2219 | Location: Fitchburg, WI | Registered: March 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My standard M1 load is 165 he. Sierra Gameking or 168 gr. SMK ( virtually interchangeable), and 40-something grains (I decline to cite charge from memory) of Win 748. Solidly reliable and accurate, and satisfies port pressure limitations.

Posts: 55 | Location: Boston | Registered: May 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RKG:
My standard M1 load is 165 he. Sierra Gameking or 168 gr. SMK ( virtually interchangeable), and 40-something grains (I decline to cite charge from memory) of Win 748. Solidly reliable and accurate, and satisfies port pressure limitations.

I tried 748 in 30.06 for both a M1 and 1903,

did not do as well as 4064 in my rifles, and had a bit of a flash (fireball) compared to 4064

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10409 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
47 grains of either IMR 4064 or IMR 4895 works great with 150 grain FMJ.
TF

Posts: 32 | Location: Kansas | Registered: May 15, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post