SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Reloading    P220 10mm and hard cast bullets
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

P220 10mm and hard cast bullets Login/Join 
posted
Just curious if any of you have used 200 or 220 grain hard cast bullets and have had feeding problems? I have heard, but don't know the truth, that semi-autos are sensitive to COL when using wide meplat bullets.

I am looking for a woods bullet with a wide meplat that will not cause feeding problems.

Posts: 27 | Registered: September 05, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
Nothing wrong with traditional hard cast loads. I’ve been a little into the Lehigh Defense bullets lately for loads with max penetration/woods carry, & getting the most out of a handgun round.

My loads have been 380 & 9mm, same principles would apply for the 10mm. Various places sell the bullets for reloading. The reviews are very good, my results have been the same.

https://www.lehighdefense.com/...enetrator-ammunition

Posts: 6132 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
I have some 200 gr RN flat points, from the NOE mold folks. The Hi-Tek coated slugs. With my chemo now, no energy to load, or shoot.

Did shoot them in my 220, no idea load data, but no feeding issues.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've bought mine from Montana Cast Bullets for my DW Silverback and my XD 5.25. It's telling that a very good cast bullet company doesn't offer any 220 grain bullets. I've had very good results with their 200 grain WFN.

Posts: 780 | Registered: January 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That's what I was thinking. If I go with a 200 grain I suspect I won't have any problems. If I need more than a 200 grain I will just use a 45 Colt.

7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sourdough44:
Nothing wrong with traditional hard cast loads. I’ve been a little into the Lehigh Defense bullets lately for loads with max penetration/woods carry, & getting the most out of a handgun round.

My loads have been 380 & 9mm, same principles would apply for the 10mm. Various places sell the bullets for reloading. The reviews are very good, my results have been the same.

https://www.lehighdefense.com/...enetrator-ammunition
I let out a Holy s..t when I saw that 10mm projectile. Didnt even begin to deform. Penetration yes but I bet a small wound channel. I think that round would be excellent on a angry bear head shot.

Posts: 17891 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kmcdonou:
Just curious if any of you have used 200 or 220 grain hard cast bullets and have had feeding problems? I have heard, but don't know the truth, that semi-autos are sensitive to COL when using wide meplat bullets.

I am looking for a woods bullet with a wide meplat that will not cause feeding problems.

SWCs that aren't seated deeply enough are an ongoing problem. I've seen it at least a dozen times with others at the range.

They need to be seated fairly low in the case, where the shoulder is perhaps 1/16" above the case mouth.

Some semiautos won't have a problem if it's seated higher, but a lot of them will have problems.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What is the COAL when used with such SWCs that you speak of?

I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
It depends on the caliber and which SWC you're using.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post