SIGforum
P220 10mm and hard cast bullets

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/840601935/m/1960095084

March 18, 2021, 09:54 PM
kmcdonou
P220 10mm and hard cast bullets
Just curious if any of you have used 200 or 220 grain hard cast bullets and have had feeding problems? I have heard, but don't know the truth, that semi-autos are sensitive to COL when using wide meplat bullets.

I am looking for a woods bullet with a wide meplat that will not cause feeding problems.
March 19, 2021, 10:23 PM
sourdough44
Nothing wrong with traditional hard cast loads. I’ve been a little into the Lehigh Defense bullets lately for loads with max penetration/woods carry, & getting the most out of a handgun round.

My loads have been 380 & 9mm, same principles would apply for the 10mm. Various places sell the bullets for reloading. The reviews are very good, my results have been the same.

https://www.lehighdefense.com/...enetrator-ammunition
March 20, 2021, 11:36 AM
FN in MT
I have some 200 gr RN flat points, from the NOE mold folks. The Hi-Tek coated slugs. With my chemo now, no energy to load, or shoot.

Did shoot them in my 220, no idea load data, but no feeding issues.
March 20, 2021, 08:25 PM
mesabi
I've bought mine from Montana Cast Bullets for my DW Silverback and my XD 5.25. It's telling that a very good cast bullet company doesn't offer any 220 grain bullets. I've had very good results with their 200 grain WFN.
March 21, 2021, 10:04 AM
kmcdonou
That's what I was thinking. If I go with a 200 grain I suspect I won't have any problems. If I need more than a 200 grain I will just use a 45 Colt.
April 10, 2021, 04:41 PM
David Lee
quote:
Originally posted by sourdough44:
Nothing wrong with traditional hard cast loads. I’ve been a little into the Lehigh Defense bullets lately for loads with max penetration/woods carry, & getting the most out of a handgun round.

My loads have been 380 & 9mm, same principles would apply for the 10mm. Various places sell the bullets for reloading. The reviews are very good, my results have been the same.

https://www.lehighdefense.com/...enetrator-ammunition
I let out a Holy s..t when I saw that 10mm projectile. Didnt even begin to deform. Penetration yes but I bet a small wound channel. I think that round would be excellent on a angry bear head shot.
April 11, 2021, 08:18 AM
Flash-LB
quote:
Originally posted by kmcdonou:
Just curious if any of you have used 200 or 220 grain hard cast bullets and have had feeding problems? I have heard, but don't know the truth, that semi-autos are sensitive to COL when using wide meplat bullets.

I am looking for a woods bullet with a wide meplat that will not cause feeding problems.

SWCs that aren't seated deeply enough are an ongoing problem. I've seen it at least a dozen times with others at the range.

They need to be seated fairly low in the case, where the shoulder is perhaps 1/16" above the case mouth.

Some semiautos won't have a problem if it's seated higher, but a lot of them will have problems.
April 11, 2021, 12:36 PM
kmcdonou
What is the COAL when used with such SWCs that you speak of?
April 11, 2021, 12:53 PM
Flash-LB
It depends on the caliber and which SWC you're using.