SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Reloading    CLOSED: Do you measure and trim your .45 ACP cases?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

CLOSED: Do you measure and trim your .45 ACP cases? Login/Join 
I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted
I have been experimenting with different lead bullets for my 1911 and my 1873 lever action rifle.

I need to load lead bullets for an off-shoot of Cowboy Action Shooting called "Wild Bunch Action Shooting".

I've found a nice 235 gr. RNFP lead bullet that my rifle really likes. In the 1911, it is about 98%. Naturally, I'd like it to be 100%.

My gunsmith swears that because the 1911 headspaces on the case, it is critical to measure and trim each case.

Question:
Do you measure and trim each 1911 case before reloading?

Choices:
Yes, it is the only proper way.
No, Ain't nobody got time for that.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Rolan_Kraps,

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol / Personal Protection Inside the Home

Posts: 23577 | Location: Gainesville, GA | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
This Space for Rent
Picture of ugeesta
posted Hide Post
Nope. Haven't loaded many 45ACP rounds, but the 4,500 I have loaded worked fine so far.

We will never know world peace, until three people can simultaneously look each other straight in the eye

Liberals are like pussycats and Twitter is Trump's laser pointer to keep them busy while he takes care of business - Rey HRH.

Posts: 5747 | Location: Colorado | Registered: April 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jmorris
posted Hide Post
Every February 30th, is 45 ACP trimming day for me.

Posts: 481 | Location: DFW | Registered: May 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blue68f100
posted Hide Post
I voted no. But if your into Bullseye shooting you may want too. The experts say you want the case within 0.002"-0.003" of your match chamber. This makes the case seal off faster and more consistently, so they say. I'm not a good enough shot to tell the difference. So trimming them is out of the question since most are shorter than that when new. I did sort mine one time according to length. Out of 2000+ rounds I had less than 200 that were with in 0.002-0.003 of max length. Which is what you want, all others shorter.

David

P229R 9mm, Nitron, Beavertail Frame, Night Sights, DA/SA, SRT & Short Reach Trigger

Posts: 3464 | Location: Piney Woods of East Texas | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Blue68f100:
Out of 2000+ rounds I had less than 200 that were with in 0.002-0.003 of max length. Which is what you want, all others shorter.

That is what I was finding in my brass too.

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer

Posts: 23577 | Location: Gainesville, GA | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jmorris:
Every February 30th, is 45 ACP trimming day for me.

Big Grin
The 31 works better for me

Posts: 22407 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
I just did a batch of 357magnum...I use it in a Rossi 92 and a Python.

I've been bored and can't drive so I've been keeping busy around the house for the last month.

We will see if it makes any difference.

out of 200 cases...only about 30 were long enough to trim..

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11247 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
Nope, not in 35yrs loading & shooting a lot of 45acp.

IF YOU AREN'T HANDLOADING, YOU AREN'T SHOOTING ENOUGH!
NRA Instruc: Basic Pistol & Met Reloading

Posts: 7789 | Location: ca, usa | Registered: February 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
Trimming pistol brass?!

LOL

Posts: 15665 | Location: Location, Location  | Registered: April 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No, what is critical is to find the COL that works in your gun—assuming that the 100% is feeding/chambering and not something else.
When your .45 Auto shoots less than 0.7 MOA, you "might" improve things very slightly with matching head stamps, but NOT making the cases shorter.
Accuracy is effected by head space, and all the straight-wall semi-auto cases that are designed to head space on the case mouth that I have had are already too short and need to be longer for better accuracy—you see, they head space on the case mouth and you've just increased the effective head space (though the actual head space from breech to start of chamber throat hasn't changed, the distance from the case mouth to start of the throat has increased).
You aren't shooting a bottleneck case that either stretches with each firing (so will need to be trimmed occasionally) or has a shoulder for establishing head space (so trimming does not HURT accuracy). Consider if you pushed the shoulder back as far as you would be trimming your handgun cases and tell me if THAT would increase accuracy. After all, the more consistent the shoulder to case head distance, the more accurate the round will be, right? Think about it.
So, if you prefer to lose accuracy in the name of OCD-required consistency, go right ahead.
I have tried trimming revolver cartridges (.38 Spl, .357 Mag and .44 Mag) and found in EVERY case that accuracy was either the SAME or very slightly better for the untrimmed cases (indicating that trimming is NOT making the roll crimp noticeably more consistently accurate) and isn't worth the time.
If chambering is an issue, paint the bullet and case with a magic marker and chamber. Remove the round and noter where the scratches are from not chambering.
If on the bullet, the COL is too long.
If right at the edge of the case mouth, you need a bit more crimp.
If just below the case mouth, you have crushed the case slightly and need less crimp
If right at the base of the seated bullet, you have seated by bullet crooked and need a better seating stem and, probably, a bit large expander plug (not case mouth flare).
If just above the extractor groove, you have a bulge that wasn't removed during sizing (not usual for .45 Auto) and you might need a Bulge Buster kit.

Posts: 161 | Registered: July 28, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by noylj:
If just above the extractor groove, you have a bulge that wasn't removed during sizing (not usual for .45 Auto) and you might need a Bulge Buster kit.

I do need a "bulge buster kit" but not for reloading.

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer

posted Hide Post
Like the others, I have never seen a need for trimming any of my 45ACP brass.

Posts: 6601 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
so sexy it hurts
Picture of agony
posted Hide Post
I've never trimmed pistol brass.

"You have the right not to be killed..."

The Clash, "Know Your Rights"

Posts: 26978 | Location: Westizzle Virgizzle | Registered: December 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rolan_Kraps:
quote:
Originally posted by noylj:

I do need a "bulge buster kit" but not for reloading.
Winner! Big Grin

(I've never trimmed my handgun brass.)

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rule #1: Use enough gun
Picture of Bigboreshooter
posted Hide Post
I don't measure and trim any pistol brass. Some of my 9mm and 40 brass has been loaded 8-10 times with no problems.

When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own house, his possessions are undisturbed. Luke 11:21

"Every nation in every region now has a decision to make.
Either you are with us, or you are with the terrorists." -- George W. Bush

Posts: 14826 | Location: Birmingham, Alabama | Registered: February 25, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Uppity Helot
posted Hide Post
Hay'ell No!

Last time I checked nobody invented the 28 hour day yet. As it stands now, I barely manage to get any reloading done in these sadly short 24 hour days. The Last thing I need is to implement yet another step in the reloading process.

If you don't have one yet, get a cartridge gauge to check the loaded rounds. Also any time your 1911 fails with the 235gr. Rnfp, note the case brand. Perhaps there is a pattern?

Posts: 3128 | Location: Manheim, PA | Registered: September 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nope, never have and never will.

Posts: 26 | Location: Way Up North, Maine | Registered: April 10, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No, I never trim. Yes I measure the brass for max trim length. To long, scrap bin.

Posts: 474 | Location: Minnesota  | Registered: June 14, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master-at-Arms
Picture of apf383
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by agony:
I've never trimmed pistol brass.

+1

Foster's, Australian for Bud

Posts: 7489 | Location: Stuck in NY, FUAC  | Registered: November 22, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
Will this damn nonsense thing just die.

Posts: 22407 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post