SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Reloading    Unique.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Unique. Login/Join 
Fourth line skater
Picture of goose5
posted
I've been using Unique for 9mm and .45acp for a very long time. Is there another powder that burns cleaner, and fills up most of the case?

Posts: 7506 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: July 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I found that Hodgdon Universal Clays works well and has a burn rate nearly that of Unique. I also like Hodgdon’s CFE when using jacketed bullets.

A superior pilot is best defined as one who uses his superior judgment to avoid situations requiring the use of his superior skill.

Posts: 367 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: June 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blue68f100
posted Hide Post
There are several powders that will work and meter a lot better than Unique. I use WSF for my 9mm loads. It's a ball powder and fills the case so it's easy to see, about the same speed as Unique. I've used it on 45 acp but I normally shoot 185gr LSWC so I use a faster burn powder WST (ball powder), reduced for BE shooting. W231/HP38 is another powder that will work well with both.

David

P229R 9mm, Nitron, Beavertail Frame, Night Sights, DA/SA, SRT & Short Reach Trigger

Posts: 3464 | Location: Piney Woods of East Texas | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Plus one on both the WSF and Win 231 recommendations, with accuracy kudos going to WSF, with both jacketed 115's and 124's. For lead alloy SWC's, I prefer either WSF or Unique. Best Regards, Rod

5th Spl Forces, Air Force Bird Dog FAC, lll Corps RVN 69-70.... We enjoy the Bill of Rights by the sacrifices of our veterans;
Politicians, Preachers, Educators, Journalists and Community Organizers are beneficiaries, not defenders of our freedoms.

Posts: 725 | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
WSF & W231 are not really close. W231 is faster than Unique, WSF is a tiny bit slower. WSF has less loft than Unique but for 9mm or even 45acp, it is more than half the case so pretty hard to miss a charge. BE86 is a newer powder that is a bit slower than Unique with good metering characteristics.

IF YOU AREN'T HANDLOADING, YOU AREN'T SHOOTING ENOUGH!
NRA Instruc: Basic Pistol & Met Reloading

Posts: 7789 | Location: ca, usa | Registered: February 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rule #1: Use enough gun
Picture of Bigboreshooter
posted Hide Post
quote:
I've been using Unique for 9mm and .45acp for a very long time.

^^^^THIS

Unique is old school......but so am I. Been using it since the mid 80's on a whole bunch of different cartridges. If I were limited to one powder, this would be the one. And, Hey, it's cleaner than it used to be. Big Grin

When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own house, his possessions are undisturbed. Luke 11:21

"Every nation in every region now has a decision to make.
Either you are with us, or you are with the terrorists." -- George W. Bush

Posts: 14826 | Location: Birmingham, Alabama | Registered: February 25, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
legendary_lawman
Picture of prairieviper
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bigboreshooter:
quote:
I've been using Unique for 9mm and .45acp for a very long time.

^^^^THIS

Unique is old school......but so am I. Been using it since the mid 80's on a whole bunch of different cartridges. If I were limited to one powder, this would be the one. And, Hey, it's cleaner than it used to be. Big Grin

I agree. Unique is also my favorite pistol powder.

"In God We Trust"

Posts: 1992 | Location: Central USA - Cornfields & Cows | Registered: May 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Although I have a bit of Bullseye I got real cheap, my go to powder is Unique. I reload 38 special, 9mm, 45 ACP/auto rim, and 45 Colt. It works well for me. My shooting buddy must have a dozen powders on his shelf. I've got basically one powder that handles my needs and does it well. Just my two cents.

Posts: 781 | Location: KC Metro MO | Registered: November 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
I have used Unique but more often use Hodgdon ‘Universal’ in similar applications.

The burn rates of the two are very close.

Posts: 6129 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I agree with Blue68f100. I like WSF for all the reasons he listed. I consider it a clean Unique that meters well.

Posts: 393 | Location: Florida Gulf Coast | Registered: October 17, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I use Unique for 38 Spl, 44 Spl, and 45 Colt, it is a terrific powder.

Posts: 11744 | Location: Western Oklahoma | Registered: June 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Steve in PA
posted Hide Post
I’ve been using Unique for a lot of years in reloading 45acp. Love it! I’ve begun using it in plinking loads for .44 Magnum.

Steve
"The Marines I have seen around the world have, the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945

Posts: 3436 | Location: Northeast PA | Registered: June 05, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Who cares about cleanliness? Accuracy is the name of the game.
You could try BE86 or Power Pistol. Moving up in burn rate, you could try Zip or 231/HP38

Posts: 161 | Registered: July 28, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post