SIGforum
Unique.

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/840601935/m/1860058454

March 23, 2019, 12:47 PM
goose5
Unique.
I've been using Unique for 9mm and .45acp for a very long time. Is there another powder that burns cleaner, and fills up most of the case?

March 24, 2019, 07:24 AM
USAFA71
I found that Hodgdon Universal Clays works well and has a burn rate nearly that of Unique. I also like Hodgdon’s CFE when using jacketed bullets.

A superior pilot is best defined as one who uses his superior judgment to avoid situations requiring the use of his superior skill.
March 24, 2019, 08:45 AM
Blue68f100
There are several powders that will work and meter a lot better than Unique. I use WSF for my 9mm loads. It's a ball powder and fills the case so it's easy to see, about the same speed as Unique. I've used it on 45 acp but I normally shoot 185gr LSWC so I use a faster burn powder WST (ball powder), reduced for BE shooting. W231/HP38 is another powder that will work well with both.

David

P229R 9mm, Nitron, Beavertail Frame, Night Sights, DA/SA, SRT & Short Reach Trigger
March 25, 2019, 09:15 PM
Rodfac
Plus one on both the WSF and Win 231 recommendations, with accuracy kudos going to WSF, with both jacketed 115's and 124's. For lead alloy SWC's, I prefer either WSF or Unique. Best Regards, Rod

5th Spl Forces, Air Force Bird Dog FAC, lll Corps RVN 69-70.... We enjoy the Bill of Rights by the sacrifices of our veterans;
Politicians, Preachers, Educators, Journalists and Community Organizers are beneficiaries, not defenders of our freedoms.
March 26, 2019, 02:23 PM
fredj338
WSF & W231 are not really close. W231 is faster than Unique, WSF is a tiny bit slower. WSF has less loft than Unique but for 9mm or even 45acp, it is more than half the case so pretty hard to miss a charge. BE86 is a newer powder that is a bit slower than Unique with good metering characteristics.

IF YOU AREN'T HANDLOADING, YOU AREN'T SHOOTING ENOUGH!
NRA Instruc: Basic Pistol & Met Reloading
March 26, 2019, 06:47 PM
Bigboreshooter
quote:
I've been using Unique for 9mm and .45acp for a very long time.

^^^^THIS

Unique is old school......but so am I. Been using it since the mid 80's on a whole bunch of different cartridges. If I were limited to one powder, this would be the one. And, Hey, it's cleaner than it used to be. Big Grin

When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own house, his possessions are undisturbed. Luke 11:21

"Every nation in every region now has a decision to make.
Either you are with us, or you are with the terrorists." -- George W. Bush

March 31, 2019, 08:56 AM
prairieviper
quote:
Originally posted by Bigboreshooter:
quote:
I've been using Unique for 9mm and .45acp for a very long time.

^^^^THIS

Unique is old school......but so am I. Been using it since the mid 80's on a whole bunch of different cartridges. If I were limited to one powder, this would be the one. And, Hey, it's cleaner than it used to be. Big Grin

I agree. Unique is also my favorite pistol powder.

"In God We Trust"
March 31, 2019, 01:06 PM
Webley Green
Although I have a bit of Bullseye I got real cheap, my go to powder is Unique. I reload 38 special, 9mm, 45 ACP/auto rim, and 45 Colt. It works well for me. My shooting buddy must have a dozen powders on his shelf. I've got basically one powder that handles my needs and does it well. Just my two cents.
April 02, 2019, 05:37 AM
sourdough44
I have used Unique but more often use Hodgdon ‘Universal’ in similar applications.

The burn rates of the two are very close.
June 21, 2019, 06:23 PM
Stroonz
I agree with Blue68f100. I like WSF for all the reasons he listed. I consider it a clean Unique that meters well.
July 10, 2019, 06:29 PM
roberth
I use Unique for 38 Spl, 44 Spl, and 45 Colt, it is a terrific powder.

July 11, 2019, 07:21 AM
Steve in PA
I’ve been using Unique for a lot of years in reloading 45acp. Love it! I’ve begun using it in plinking loads for .44 Magnum.

Steve
"The Marines I have seen around the world have, the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945
July 12, 2019, 03:38 PM
noylj
Who cares about cleanliness? Accuracy is the name of the game.
You could try BE86 or Power Pistol. Moving up in burn rate, you could try Zip or 231/HP38