SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Reloading    Something almost as irritating as getting a SPP .45 ACP case mixed in with LPP cases...
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Something almost as irritating as getting a SPP .45 ACP case mixed in with LPP cases... Login/Join 
Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted
Tonight I sat down to load a couple hundred .45 Colt cartridges for Cowboy Action...I had bought 150 used .45 Colt cases from friend (most of them looked once fired) and I started with these to put them into my rotation.

In among the 150 were 20 Hornady nickel cases...I don't mind nickel cases mixed in...I just load them with the others...

Long story short, when I ran them through the powder measure on my Dillon they would not bell and when I tried to set the bullet, it would not set into the case...it really breaks your rhythm and makes you look for problems with the powder die/funnel that you can't find because they don't exist Mad...

After the 4th case I put my brain back in and measured the Hornady cases...they measured 1.220" not the 1.280" regular .45 Colt cases average...

Did someone trim these .45 Colt cases you might ask...

A google search found the answer...NO...they came that way...you see, they were loaded with that rubbery/plastic tipped bullet from Hornady, which requires a shorter case to crimp that particular bullet for what ever reason...their regular bulk brass is normal length to SAMMI specs unlike their Leverevoluion ammo's brass...

So...if you load .45 Colt and run across Hornady nickel brass...measure it to make sure it is not to short or you might take time out of your reloading to chase gremlins that are not there Confused

Not my photo, but you can see how much shorter the cases are...

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
Plowing straight ahead come what may
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10580 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Yup. Hornady sucks. They do this with .45-70, too. I understand WHY they do it (the ogive of the FTX bullet requires it in order to meet the proper OAL), but it doesn't make me hate them any less. I spent an outrageous amount of money on some factory Hornady Leverevolution .45-70 ammo when I bought my 1895, consoling myself by thinking "at least I can re-used the brass once my dies come in"...Only to ultimately discover this bullshit.

Posts: 8417 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hornady in 357 mag is the same thing 140 FTX the case is .040" shorter I put the hornady cases in the scrap bin

Posts: 474 | Location: Minnesota  | Registered: June 14, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This is new info to me.....thanx!!

Posts: 6601 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just had this same experience loading 357 Magnum. I toss the Hornady's in the trash as I come across them.

Posts: 480 | Registered: February 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 92fstech:
Yup. Hornady sucks. They do this with .45-70, too. I understand WHY they do it (the ogive of the FTX bullet requires it in order to meet the proper OAL), but it doesn't make me hate them any less. I spent an outrageous amount of money on some factory Hornady Leverevolution .45-70 ammo when I bought my 1895, consoling myself by thinking "at least I can re-used the brass once my dies come in"...Only to ultimately discover this bullshit.

That is probably the best review I have read in a long time.!!

Thanks!

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11247 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
NOT compromised!
Picture of SIGWALLY
posted Hide Post
Wow!, I actually learned something. Thanks!

Posts: 1527 | Location: Tampa Bay, Florida | Registered: July 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post