SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Reloading    Where to find 158 grain 9mm FMJ bullets for subsonic reloads?

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Where to find 158 grain 9mm FMJ bullets for subsonic reloads? Login/Join 
Middle children
of history
Picture of Brett B
posted
I’ve been shooting the 9mm PRVI 158 subsonic rounds through my MPX and they have worked great. Very quiet and they all cycle reliably. I would like to replicate this round myself with some reloads but can’t find 158 grain 9mm bullets anywhere.

I’ve seen some recommend buying a bullet sizing die to resize .357 bullets down to .355. I’d rather not add more tools and steps to reloading low cost plinking ammo if I don’t have to.

Both PRVI and IMI are offering 158 grain 9mm loads so I figure the bullets must be available somewhere.

I firmly believe that any man's finest hour, the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear, is that moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle - victorious.

-Vince Lombardi

Posts: 2175 | Location: Ohio | Registered: September 06, 2008Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Hmmmm....I'd pull one of those bullets and see if they aren't really .357 anyway.

There have been a few revolvers over the years that were made with convertible cylinders to shoot either .38 special or 9mm. I'd assume the barrel was tight enough for the 9mm, so firing a 38 through it would be the same situation you are describing.

Posts: 6516 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Report This Post
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
Xtreme bullets sells a 165gr RN, very popular with the 9mm gamer guys. Even without a silencer it is very quiet running under 800fps.

IF YOU AREN'T HANDLOADING, YOU AREN'T SHOOTING ENOUGH!
NRA Instruc: Basic Pistol & Met Reloading

Posts: 7651 | Location: ca, usa | Registered: February 17, 2004Report This Post
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
If you want to go coated lead, Bayou makes a great 160gr RN, very accurate in my match guns running 800fps.

IF YOU AREN'T HANDLOADING, YOU AREN'T SHOOTING ENOUGH!
NRA Instruc: Basic Pistol & Met Reloading

Posts: 7651 | Location: ca, usa | Registered: February 17, 2004Report This Post
Middle children
of history
Picture of Brett B
posted Hide Post
Yeah I pulled one and the outside diameter was .353 min and .355 max. So definitely not .357 bullets in this round at least. It also had exactly 4.00 grains of powder.

I firmly believe that any man's finest hour, the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear, is that moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle - victorious.

-Vince Lombardi

Posts: 2175 | Location: Ohio | Registered: September 06, 2008Report This Post
Hoping for better pharmaceuticals
Picture of AZSigs
posted Hide Post
Both Precision Delta and Extreme have 147gr bullets in stock.

Getting shot is no achievement. Hitting your enemy is.

Posts: 7992 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: April 02, 2007Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Try Black Bullets International....

They have a great coated 147gr projo.

Over 3.1gr of VV N320....It screams at 830fps!!!

Duty is the sublimest word in the English Language - Gen Robert E Lee.

Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

147gr would be my recommendation as well, as they are widely available for 9mm. I like Precision Delta, personally. 851+fps is all you need for minor power factor if you compete, and it is definitely subsonic.

Posts: 7167 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Report This Post
posted Hide Post
If you find some, let me know!
I'm thinking about ordering some 165gr RN bullets from X-Treme to try on my subsonic loads. I've just been using 3.4gr of Titegroup with 147gr and it's cycling my MPX suppressed just fine.

Posts: 1016 | Location: County 18, OH | Registered: April 11, 2007Report This Post