Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Primers Login/Join 
Picture of 9mmnut
posted
I use Federal for reloading 9mm. No around here has them. What about your area?

Posts: 1195 | Location: Southern ,Mi. | Registered: October 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
I've seen Federal Gold Medal Match LP magnum primers...those are the only Federal primers of any flavor I've seen in a brick and mortar for a long time...pretty much the same for the online sources.

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
Plowing straight ahead come what may
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10584 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
The Fed SP has become almost extinct. I am hoarding my last few 1000 for sanctioned matches & will certainly buy another 10K if they ever become available. I suspect Federal would rather put them into ammo than sell them to us.

IF YOU AREN'T HANDLOADING, YOU AREN'T SHOOTING ENOUGH!
NRA Instruc: Basic Pistol & Met Reloading

Posts: 7789 | Location: ca, usa | Registered: February 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I found some recently in Michigan and then in Indiana

They have been pretty hard to find

And I have learned not to flinch at the price if I want them

Just picked up 6000 from a guy who was getting out of reloading, then a week later, a shooting buddy called and was near Indy and found me 10,000 more

Some of the shooting gang needed some also so we split them

RC

Posts: 1941 | Location: Indiana | Registered: March 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hoping for better pharmaceuticals
Picture of AZSigs
posted Hide Post
My local supply is out of Federal SPP. They have LPP at $31 but I don't know if that is high or not for Federal. I only use Winchester or CCI. Good luck in finding them though.

Getting shot is no achievement. Hitting your enemy is. NRA Endowment Member . NRA instructor

Posts: 8753 | Location: Peoria, Arizona | Registered: April 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AZSigs:
My local supply is out of Federal SPP. They have LPP at $31 but I don't know if that is high or not for Federal. I only use Winchester or CCI. Good luck in finding them though.

Decent price for Federal. I pay $4.49/100 when I can find them.

PC

Posts: 1336 | Location: NW Wyoming | Registered: November 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
I too have had to swear off Federal. Non-existant here. CCI IS pretty common at 32.95/K. I stocked a bunch of WOLF LRP and SRP before they too disappeared. I'm good for a while.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20319 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of chansen92
posted Hide Post
I guess I missed something. What does federal primers have that others do not? I use what is available and most of the time that is Winchester primers and I cannot tell the difference. I find they work exceptional well for me.

Posts: 1622 | Location: owosso,Mi. USA | Registered: August 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cxm
posted Hide Post
Federal primers seem to be in short supply everywhere... Same is true of Alliant powders.

Federal owns Alliant so I suspect the shortages are related... during O'bummer's great powder famine I suspect Federal directed all Alliant's production to Federal's ammo factories... there is a lot more profit in loaded ammo than in components. The same is probably true of Federal primers.

Good news of sorts is with the decline of sales in the world of guns and ammo, we are starting to see increasing availability of powder and primers... at a gun show this weekend I saw Hodgdon's, IMR and Winchester powders in most flavors... stuff that you didn't see for several years.

I find most primers are interchangeable except for CCI. My Dillon press came with instructions that advise against using CCI primers.

Other than the CCI primers I have used just about all the brands at one time or another... including Wolf and Tula. I could not find any difference from one to another.

FWIW

CHuck

Hoist on High the Bonny Blue Flag that Bears the Single Star!!!

Certified SIG Armorer
Certified Glock Armorer

Posts: 1348 | Location: Florida, CSA | Registered: September 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Federal primers are known to be more sensitive than other brands,

In competition you want every trigger pull to go bang, especially revolver shooters who can't afford a misfire

Federal believes they are that much more sensitive that they package in boxes twice as large as other brands

Federal LPP at $31 is a great price these days

Lately I have seen for Federal large and small to be around $32-$36

RC

Posts: 1941 | Location: Indiana | Registered: March 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
9mmnut

How far are you from South Bend In?

I am set for a while on Federals and if some appear and you can move fast I could give you a heads up,

RC

Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
I've seen them at a couple of different Sportsman's Warehouses in Oregon recently. The one in Bend had all the Federal standard pistol primers, large and small, you would want. However, I haven't seen any rifle primers in a long time.

Didn't Brownells have a bunch of Gold Medal Federals lately? They have the LPP on sale for $37.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8214 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No Federal primers around here for some time.

Posts: 474 | Location: Minnesota  | Registered: June 14, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 9mmnut
posted Hide Post
Thanks RC but I am a couple hours away. I am ok on primers for a while. Looking out for down the road.

Posts: 1195 | Location: Southern ,Mi. | Registered: October 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Big R in Elkhart Indiana has Federal Primers back in stock

RC

Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RC:
Federal primers are known to be more sensitive than other brands,

In competition you want every trigger pull to go bang, especially revolver shooters who can't afford a misfire

When I shot a 625 was the only time I insisted on Federal, precisely because they are softer. Revolver shooters also like to adjust the strain screw to yield a better DA pull, but this also lightens up the hammer strike, so Federal is extra insurance. Federal seems to be all that revolver shooters use, at least in these parts. In all of my semi-autos, I have always used Winchester, and never had a light strike.

A fellow shooter and neighbor just last week asked me if I knew anyone who would buy 10k Federal LPP, for $27/k. He no longer loads with LPP at all. It didn't take me long to find a willing buyer at our club (about 10 minutes).

Posts: 10782 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I still have a fair supply of Federal pistol primers, but will purchase more once PV gets them back in stock. I shoot a lot of revolver, and they are my choice of primer.

Posts: 6613 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bullets.com has all manners of FGMM primers in stock.

Posts: 3398 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 20, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NikonUser:
Bullets.com has all manners of FGMM primers in stock.

Almost, but not quite. No small rifle match.

You had me excited for a hot minute there. Frown

Posts: 15665 | Location: Location, Location  | Registered: April 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They have small rifle AR match. Not good?

Posts: 3398 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 20, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post