SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Reloading    New to reloading, dipped my toe in the water in a big way
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New to reloading, dipped my toe in the water in a big way Login/Join 
I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted
A co-worker was complaining the other day that their new house (a downsize from previous house after all kids left) didn't have as much storage room as the last one. As a result he had a bunch of stuff he wanted to get rid of. One of the items was a full reloading setup. Turns out what he had was a Dillon 650 and complete setups to reload 9mm and 5.56 to include multiple pounds of both pistol and rifle powder, about 4k primers for each, two buckets full of once fired brass, tumbler, and a tub full of various attachments and accessories. When he told me his price for all this I jumped.

So now the fun starts. I've never reloaded myself, always with buddies that had setups. Beyond immediate plans for a couple powder checks and a roller handle, future plans are for a case feeder. For now I think I just need to get this press setup on my workbench. It's dirty and some parts have a little surface rust so my first order of business is to break it down and clean it thoroughly.

Any suggestions on general cleaning solutions for the task?

The parts with rust will likely go in a vinegar bath for a day or so to see how they clean up. Once cleaned up I'm going to start out with loading 9mm. I want to start from scratch as I don't want to rely on someone else's setup and to help me learn the ins and outs. I've had a Lyman reloading guide for several years and have worked through it more than once so feel pretty comfortable.

Just excited to finally have my own setup and can't wait to get started.

Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Complacency sucks…

Posts: 5423 | Location: Wichita, KS (for now)…always a Texan… | Registered: April 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
Congrats, great setup!

Posts: 5734 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You started out with the Rolls Royce of reloading presses.....congrats!

Posts: 6601 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
When you fall, I will be there to catch you -With love, the floor
posted Hide Post
Dillion will rebuild their press for a very reasonable price bringing it back to new.

Richard Scalzo
Epping, NH

http://www.bigeastakitarescue.net

Posts: 5803 | Location: Epping, NH | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rscalzo:
Dillion will rebuild their press for a very reasonable price bringing it back to new.

I’m hoping not to need it, but keeping that in my back pocket.

Complacency sucks…

Posts: 5423 | Location: Wichita, KS (for now)…always a Texan… | Registered: April 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Youtube is probably your best freind when it comes to setting up your toolhead. If you didn't get the manual--it's pretty much mandatory IMO. I think you can print one off on the Dillon site. The troubleshooting section is priceless.

Posts: 1063 | Location: hampton roads, va. | Registered: October 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I spent 25 years using a single stage RCBS before putting out out the cash for a Dillon 650. All those wasted years. I can load in one hour what used to ave take a week.

Yeah, I used to have a couple of guns.

Posts: 434 | Location: North Central Ohio | Registered: February 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
SigM4 - You might want to consider purchasing the Dillon 650 DVD that will take you step by step from set up to loading and every step in between. The DVD has a separate section for rifle set up vs pistol and the cost is less than $20.00.....I used the videos for the first three to four sessions to insure I was doing everything right....Just a suggestion.....Mark

Posts: 3239 | Location: MS | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigarmsp226:
SigM4 - You might want to consider purchasing the Dillon 650 DVD that will take you step by step from set up to loading and every step in between. The DVD has a separate section for rifle set up vs pistol and the cost is less than $20.00.....I used the videos for the first three to four sessions to insure I was doing everything right....Just a suggestion.....Mark

Thanks for the heads up. I was contemplating picking it up as I’m a much more visual learner. Glad to know it’s worthwhile. I’ve already planned an order from Dillon so an extra $20 at this point is peanuts.

Complacency sucks…

Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
Congratulations on your new hobby.
That is something I have enjoyed from early seventy.I still do but really have slowed down.
My stash pilled up in a big way,don't shoot that much anymore,so I dumped over 25 K on my son last couple of weeks

Posts: 22407 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

Handloads.com will give you a broad overview of loads with your bullet weight and many different powders. Some of them also suggest a starting load. Most of them are just reports on a single load, perhaps more than you want, but it gives a cross-reference as to what different powders will do. I use it just to get an idea of a starting point, then work up my own load starting at the least that will work the gun reliably.

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
Man, I am dripping with envy on many levels- congrats! I’m limited to loading small batches of .44 mag, .357, 45-70, and most recently .223 with a Lee hand press. I’d love to have the space for a progressive set up. Enjoy!

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15501 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Call Dillon if you have any questions. They are great to speak with. I believe the 650 manual is available to download online. It's got a lifetime, "No BS" Warranty, so they should help you with anything...even getting it rebuilt if needed.
Don't rush...and watch for powder spills in 9MM as the shells rotate after the powder station.

Posts: 957 | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by drshame:
Call Dillon if you have any questions. They are great to speak with. I believe the 650 manual is available to download online.

Fortunately I got all the original literature with the press as well. I’ve read through it three times now. Will be attempting to setup the press for 9mm today. I have an In-line Fabrication mount (along with several other things) on order, so for now this is just about setting up the toolhead and doing a test run of a few loads on the lighter end of the spectrum.

quote:
Don't rush...and watch for powder spills in 9MM as the shells rotate after the powder station.

Thanks for the reminder. I’ve been investigating the options for addressing this. I may end up ordering a bushing kit and a reduced power detent spring and synthetic detent and see if I like either or both.

Complacency sucks…

posted Hide Post
The old school trick is to cut a coil off the detent spring.

As far as the powder hopping up and out of the case on shell holder rotation, I think you will find that the powders that come closest to filling the case will be your worst offenders,

There is a needle bearing and washer kit (aftermarket)that goes under the shell plate bolt that smooths things out. The only time I see rough enough action to cause the powder to come out of the case is doing mixed 9mm brass to include foreign manufactured brass. This brass causes a slight primer crunch for me causing the powder to jump out.

Posts: 1063 | Location: hampton roads, va. | Registered: October 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted Hide Post
Ended up doing 100 rounds of mixed brass starting with 3.5 of Win 231 and working up to 4.1 in several stepped batches of 20 each. Really no significant powder hop that I saw, but may have been due to the light(er) loadings. This particular press appears to be smoother than some I’ve seen online so who knows. I may still try the spring/synthetic detent thing, but for now it wasn’t much of an issue.

Complacency sucks…

Hoping for better pharmaceuticals
Picture of AZSigs
posted Hide Post
Dillon warranties the parts on 650 for life. If you find a part is not usable just call them. They will have the part out to you quickly.

Getting shot is no achievement. Hitting your enemy is. NRA Endowment Member . NRA instructor

Posts: 8752 | Location: Peoria, Arizona | Registered: April 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post