SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Reloading    Making the Dillon XL650 run smoother and cleaner?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Making the Dillon XL650 run smoother and cleaner? Login/Join 
Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
90% there. I’ve started using some case lube and that helps a bunch. Now all I need is to polish the powder through die.

I’m a case lube convert and will use it from now on even with my carbide dies.

Do not send me to a heaven where there are no dogs.
Step Up or Stand Aside: Support the Troops !
Expectations are premeditated disappointments.

Posts: 8343 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Tried all the add-on enhancements...new balls...springs..whatever. Still have a chronic powder spill in my 9MM system. The plate jerks into and outta place and the powder gets tossed. I've slowed waay down and even put my fingers on the cases as they go into to the seater after the powder charge...and that's the only way to keep it from spilling on each "click" into place. Yep...tried new springs, cutting off loops of old OEM ones, and adjusting the shell plate bolt. Still jerks enough to spill poweder so I have to slow don and manually keep the powdered shells from jerking on the rotation and tossing powder.
My other calibers work much better.

Posts: 957 | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
quote:
I tumbled well. Pretty clean cases though not new or wet cleaned. Clean shell holder and below. I’ll check again on the indexer and it seems there is no issue with a case going into station one. I did find that the CBC headstamp brass is a pain but Blazer (my preferred), Win, R-P all seem to be fine.

I am pretty picky about my 9mm brass. There seems to be a huge swing in specs. So I avoid foreign brass as much as possible, pmc seems ok though.

IF YOU AREN'T HANDLOADING, YOU AREN'T SHOOTING ENOUGH!
NRA Instruc: Basic Pistol & Met Reloading

Posts: 7789 | Location: ca, usa | Registered: February 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hoping for better pharmaceuticals
Picture of AZSigs
posted Hide Post
Have you have consulted the Instruction manual? I'm not meaning anything by it, but there are 6 Major headings and multiple fixes for each heading all related to Powder charging/case mouth belling. It would be a much more efficient way to troubleshoot your problem. JMO

Getting shot is no achievement. Hitting your enemy is. NRA Endowment Member . NRA instructor

Posts: 8753 | Location: Peoria, Arizona | Registered: April 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
No worries, no offense taken. I’ve had several people comment on how I’m one of the few they’ve seen that reads before assembling stuff. I did consult the manual, assembled by he book and adjusted. Just wasn’t quite as smooth as I thought it should be and sometimes reading instructions or tips presented in a different way helps me.

Do not send me to a heaven where there are no dogs.
Step Up or Stand Aside: Support the Troops !
Expectations are premeditated disappointments.

Posts: 8343 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

quote:
Originally posted by Riley:
No worries, no offense taken. I’ve had several people comment on how I’m one of the few they’ve seen that reads before assembling stuff. I did consult the manual, assembled by he book and adjusted. Just wasn’t quite as smooth as I thought it should be and sometimes reading instructions or tips presented in a different way helps me.

Call Dillon Tech Support. They will work with you describing the problem. They will give you tips on solving the problem, and if they think you need any new parts, they will send them to you gratis. Some parts have supplemental instructions, and they have some kits to help you adjust the parts to proper working order, each with its own set of instructions.

Since it is a new press, they may even send you a prepaid shipping label to return it to them. I am close enough to be able take my press to them personally, which I have done a couple of times in the 15 years I've owned it. They always replace (some expensive) parts that I didn't even know might be part of the problem. The invoice total is always $0.00, and the press has been set up in perfect working condition, indexing properly, no jerks, etc.

Posts: 10784 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post