SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Reloading    Hornady LNL question
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hornady LNL question Login/Join 
Picture of 9mmnut
posted
Which powder cop will work on this press?
Thinking Dillon, any problems?

Posts: 1195 | Location: Southern ,Mi. | Registered: October 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of C-Dubs
posted Hide Post
Not sure it really matters. More of a personal preference thing.

I use the Hornady powder cop, for what it’s worth.

“I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.”

Posts: 2863 | Location: SE WI | Registered: October 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
I've been satisfied with the RCBS Lockout die...I use it on station 3 on my old Dillon 450 since I seat and crimp at the same time on station 4...it stops an uncharged/overcharged case, plus it's somewhat less expensive than the Dillon powder check die...

https://www.amazon.com/RCBS-87...ut-Die/dp/B004TABWJK

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10584 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Any powder cop will work, but I would ONLY use the RCBS lock-out die or the Dillon. The lock-out die STOPS the press if it detects too much or too little powder. The Dillon buzzes at you, but you had better check it occasionally to ensure the battery works.
IF you can't look in the case—it's right there under you nose at station 4 before you put a bullet on it—what makes you think you'll look at a powder cop that just goes up and down and doesn't stop you in any way?

Posts: 161 | Registered: July 28, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jmorris
posted Hide Post
To use the Dillon you will have to drill a hole for the push rod.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_SAGF2SGY9E

Posts: 481 | Location: DFW | Registered: May 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 9mmnut
posted Hide Post
Ordered RCBS lockout die last nite.Thanks all.

Posts: 1195 | Location: Southern ,Mi. | Registered: October 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 9mmnut:
Ordered RCBS lockout die last nite.Thanks all.

When you receive it and set it up, here are a couple of links to YouTube videos that help with the initial adjustments...as well as showing the dies operation...

https://youtu.be/egs5GWG_Prc

https://youtu.be/3N944W_qhVQ

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10584 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 9mmnut
posted Hide Post
Thanks Bisley. I did a lot of searching before deciding which die to use. I found the video of setting up the RCBS die. I use Trail Boss in one of my loads which does not meter very well. Just wondering how the RCBS die is going to work with Trail Boss.

Picture of 9mmnut
posted Hide Post
Received my RSBS Lockout Die today. Had it setup in just a few minutes. Loading 4.5 grains of Trail Boss it will lockup at 4.0 grains and 5.0 grains. Will check other weights later.

posted Hide Post
I keep my Lock-Out dies loose. Mine can detect the change in case capacity. I have learned that with my dies, if I turn them less that 1/12 of a turn to release the die, the charge is correct +/- 0.1gn so far after more than 5 years. I still always check the charge weight on any case that locks it up.

Picture of 9mmnut
posted Hide Post
noylj sorry but I do not understand you post.

posted Hide Post
Really simple.
I found that my dies are sensitive enough to detect changes in height just from case differences. So, I DON'T tighten the die body with the lock ring. When I get a lock up, I lower the ram a little and turn the die body one way or the other so I can cycle the press. I then remove that case and check the powder weight and, if correct, return it to the shell plate. So far, any time I have only needed to turn the die body about 1/12 of a turn, the charge weight has been exactly right.
I don't believe in EVER short stroking, so I adjust the die to I can completer the stroke and then check that case.