Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Flipped primer Login/Join 
posted
While priming brass just now I had 2 primers flip and seat upside down in my brass. Any chance of salvaging the brass or should I drown them to kill the primer and toss the cases? It's not super common brass so I'd like to keep the cases atleast. Thanks

Posts: 3044 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just wear eye protection and push it out slowly with a decapping die.

Posts: 8954 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of C-Dubs
posted Hide Post
I've had a few (okay, few dozen) over the years that didn't seat correctly.

I've always managed to deprime the brass safely and reuse the brass with no problem whatsoever.

Just go slowly with the ram and pop it out. Chances are, the primer is junk as the anvil may be damaged, and just make them inert and scrap them.

Gotta figure out what's causing the flipped primers though.

“I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.”

Posts: 2863 | Location: SE WI | Registered: October 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MNSIG:

That's what I would do.

Posts: 3398 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 20, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Throwin sparks
makin knives
Picture of sybo
posted Hide Post
Protect the eyes, remove and start again! It happens. My biggest recommendation, ALWAYS PAY ATTENTION AND DONT GET DISTRACTED! That way you won't have any surprises! Stay safe!!

Posts: 6203 | Location: Nashville Tn | Registered: October 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
Load long enough it going to happen,good advice already given.

Posts: 22409 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Had that very thing happen yesterday. Just remove the inverted primer, and re-prime brass.

Posts: 6613 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks will do. I was priming with an autoprime and they all were flipped properly in the tray. Maybe I was holding it at a strange angle and they flipped in the chute or something. Anyways thanks for the advice, I'll give it a shot.

Posts: 3044 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
Not sure which press you're using, but this was happening to me as well when trying to use the after-market tube priming system on my RCBS Pro 2000 auto-indexing press (not the new Pro Chucker). I eventually gave up the tube priming attachment and went back to the stock APS primer strips...waaaaaaaay more reliable.

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just a quick update I wet the primer cups and pressed them out with eyes and ears in. Worked like a charm. Thanks all

posted Hide Post
I wet the primer with oil and let it soak first.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Animis Opibusque Parati
posted Hide Post
I have managed to flip a few primers using my hand primer. As many here have said, I simply deprime very gently, wearing safety glasses. Toss that primer and start over with the brass.

"Prepared in mind and resources"

Posts: 1353 | Location: SC | Registered: October 28, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just used water but oil may not be a bad idea. I just figured water would dry and keep my primer pocket oil free without really having to get in there. As a note I also wore ear pro. I don't know if anyone has touched a primer off indoors but its not quiet. Anyways alls well that ends well. Hasn't happened again when I loaded 30 Mauser which uses the same primers.

3° that never cooled
Picture of rock185
posted Hide Post
When that occasionally happens, I don't use water, oil or anything. I simply decap the case and carry on.....

NRA Life

Posts: 1563 | Location: Under the Tonto Rim | Registered: August 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MNSIG:
Yep. If done slowly it likely will not detonate the primer.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rock185:
When that occasionally happens, I don't use water, oil or anything. I simply decap the case and carry on.....

Same here. It's a primer, not a hand grenade.

Posts: 20081 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
quote:
Originally posted by rock185:

Same here. It's a primer, not a hand grenade.

Me too. Eye and ear protection and slide it out.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20319 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Edge seeking
Sharp blade!
posted Hide Post
I got a Federal 223 cartridge with an upside down primer. The case had no flash hole. I wonder if somehow the process of primer installation detects no primer hole and intentionally installs the primer backwards. Seems more logical to just kick it out but maybe there is a reason for it.

Posts: 7450 | Location: Over the hills and far away | Registered: January 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blue68f100
posted Hide Post
Your sizing die is suppose to catch those while you deprime.

Your deprimer may be able to push it out as it makes a hole.

David

P229R 9mm, Nitron, Beavertail Frame, Night Sights, DA/SA, SRT & Short Reach Trigger

Posts: 3464 | Location: Piney Woods of East Texas | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by C-Dubs:
I've had a few (okay, few dozen) over the years that didn't seat correctly.

I've always managed to deprime the brass safely and reuse the brass with no problem whatsoever.

Just go slowly with the ram and pop it out. Chances are, the primer is junk as the anvil may be damaged, and just make them inert and scrap them.

Gotta figure out what's causing the flipped primers though.

this,

I have had one go off, out of several dozen,

it startled me, but did no damage to the press, die, brass, decap pin, or me,

just a pop, some gas, me going 'oh shit' and moved on

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10417 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post