SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Reloading    Stepped Brass Cases - Educate me please
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Stepped Brass Cases - Educate me please Login/Join 
posted
I now pick up a lot of free range brass rather than buying once fired and I am starting to see more stepped brass cases....

Questions - Why was stepped brass created and why should they go into my scrap bucket (have not loaded any yet cause I need some ed-u-maction on this topic please) and not be reloaded.....Thanks Mark

Posts: 3239 | Location: MS | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Reported issues: Less case volume (need slower powder), separates at stepped shoulder, harder to size, can bulge if bullet seated too deep, sometimes it is brass covered steel, and other issues.

If I get them - tossed. Don't need another set of problems during reloading.

Andrew

Duty is the sublimest word in the English Language - Gen Robert E Lee.

Posts: 861 | Registered: May 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Andrew - Thank you Sir....Your list contians more than one reason for these to get tossed....To your point - there are enough variables in reloading already. No reason to add more...

Thanks Again...Mark

Posts: 3239 | Location: MS | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jmorris
posted Hide Post
There is most definitely an internal volume difference.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6EU9deSKm48&t=6s

I suspect that the reason behind the creation is to prevent bullet setback due to an alloy that lacks proper neck tension.

The problem is not only a case volume issue but if you reload them with bullets they were not designed for.

Imagine a stepped case for a 115gn bullet that have had a 124-147 gn bullet shoved into them.

Posts: 481 | Location: DFW | Registered: May 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Explanation please? What is "stepped brass?"

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30545 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
V-Tail - Sorry for my delay in responding. Just got back from visiting grandkids....The images in the link below that I found I think shows it better than I could explain it....Mark

https://goo.gl/images/g3LCqi

Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
^
You got mail

Posts: 22407 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 45 Cal:
^
You got mail

Thanks 45 - Got it and replied....Merry Christmas Sir...Mark

posted Hide Post
Most of my stepped brass has been IMI headstamped.

Correction: Looks like it may be IMT headstamped. I'll have to go back and check. Aging eyes...

This message has been edited. Last edited by: jackimoe,

Posts: 1063 | Location: hampton roads, va. | Registered: October 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post