SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Reloading    Used 223 brass price?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Used 223 brass price? Login/Join 
Just because something is legal to do doesn't mean it is the smart thing to do.
posted
Just had a fellow told me he has a bunch of 223 brass, PD training brass. I didn't really get to grill him on it but I'm thinking good quality, once fired brass. He wasn't sure what it is worth.
So, if I am correct on good quality, once fired, what is it worth?
By the 5 gal bucket, by the pound, what ever way YOU would price it?

How many (appox) is in a pound, 5 gal bucket, ect?

Thanks.

Integrity is doing the right thing, even when nobody is looking.

Posts: 2992 | Location: Metamora MI | Registered: October 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
According to STM (wet tumbling experts), a pound of .223 brass contains approximately 70-75 pieces. I'd price somewhere a little less than Everglades; they're just about the best price going. $50/2,000 pieces or $0.03/each?? You're going to get brass that is still dirty, so take your time to clean/tumble into consideration. Everglades dry tumbles their brass in ceramic media before shipping, but I always wet tumble even after getting brass from there.

http://www.evergladesammo.com/...nce-fired-brass.html

2,000 pieces is a little over 25lbs. so very raw math might dictate a fair price of $2.50/lb?

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 2969 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bamf
Picture of DevlDogs55
posted Hide Post
I agree with erj, the price of once fired bulk .223/5.56 brass is really low - at least where I'm at. Most people I talk to won't even buy it at all since there are so many gravel pits filled with it even just a half hour from the city.

"I have a suggestion to keep you all occupied. Learn to swim" - Ænema

1st Battalion 7th Marines

Posts: 4554 | Location: Puyallup, WA | Registered: November 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of exx1976
posted Hide Post
From a pd range, I wouldn't even buy it. Maybe I'm just picky, but I only use Lake city (or lapua, but you don't find that laying around).

*IF* it was lake city, I still wouldn't pay more than $100 for a 5-gallon bucket. It's very cheap right now.

Every time you make a typo, the errorists win.

Posts: 14903 | Location: Location, Location  | Registered: April 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hoping for better pharmaceuticals
posted Hide Post
I've seen LC brass available for about $60/1000. Approx 13 lbs per 1000 IIRC. Commercial brass runs a little less. Gun shows have tons of sellers competing. I only use commercial brass for the gun classes I take as I plan on leaving it there. I like LC for my other shooting needs.

Getting shot is no achievement. Hitting your enemy is.

Posts: 7626 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: April 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
ask what kind of brass it is.
my brother gave me buckets of .223 brass, there's some Hornady steel mixed in with it. His PD won't let him trade it in or scrap it and tells him to throw it away so he throws it away into my pick up.

Posts: 850 | Location: County 18, OH | Registered: April 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post