SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Reloading    Had a Squib Today at the Range
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Had a Squib Today at the Range Login/Join 
Uppity Helot
posted Hide Post
5.0 gr. under a 230gr. pill is hardly a bunny fart load. My bet is on a bad primer that did not ignite with full force and heat which caused a partial powder burn and squib.

Posts: 3144 | Location: Manheim, PA | Registered: September 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigarmsp226:
92 - Not sure my thought process even makes sense but hear me out....Any chance that the bullet was seated but not crimped enough to keep it from moving forward when you were firing rounds 7-10 thus causing the lead to move far enough forward to allow the lead to still be aligned enough to move forward when the primer ignited but because the case opening was not completely sealed the powder was not close enough to ignite?

Just a thought that has not been mentioned yet in this thread.....Mark

Interesting theory, but I doubt it. I tend to err on the side of a heavy crimp, I've shot hundreds of rounds of this load without experiencing a pulled bullet (or another squib), and there was no noticeable drag on the cylinder before I experienced the squib, which one would expect had the bullet loostened far enough in the case to cause ignition issues.

Posts: 8541 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post