SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Reloading    Storing (Spent) Brass?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Storing (Spent) Brass? Login/Join 
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
It really doesn't matter how you store it.
It only matters when you are getting ready to process it.
Most do (including me) separate when it comes in (or back from the range)just to make it easy to process.
556 vs 223 is not really a concern as they are all the same for the most part except perhaps dealing with a primer pocket.

Posts: 13390 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
posted Hide Post
Ok. Thanks for the feedback/hint, folks!

I think, for the amount I have, probably the plastic kitty litter buckets we have, along with Ziploc® freezer bags, will probably do the trick. As for loaded ammo: As I noted in the other thread: Got several dozen plastic ammo boxes in three different colours.

I think I'll probably try to keep the rifle stuff sorted by headstamp. The pistol brass: Probably only by plated/non-plated, I think.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe

Posts: 10540 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
quote:
To clarify: Do y'all separate your brass by anything other than caliber? And, perhaps, whether or not it's plated?

Only my precision & hunting rifle stuff gets sorted by brand & number of times loaded. Everything else is just cleaned & put up in those large clear nut containers from like Costco.

IF YOU AREN'T HANDLOADING, YOU AREN'T SHOOTING ENOUGH!
NRA Instruc: Basic Pistol & Met Reloading

Posts: 7574 | Location: ca, usa | Registered: February 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Imissedagain
posted Hide Post
Caliber and headstamp for all brass.
Nothing is fired without colored markings in the extractor groove..
Identifies loads and what I've picked up if it ain't mine.
I love brass!!!
Fixing a Mississippi Saxophone with 30-06 brass. Big Grin

There's a little bit of rebel in every American.

Posts: 493 | Location: South Florida | Registered: November 17, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of exx1976
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Imissedagain:
Caliber and headstamp for all brass.
Nothing is fired without colored markings in the extractor groove..
Identifies loads and what I've picked up if it ain't mine.
I love brass!!!
Fixing a Mississippi Saxophone with 30-06 brass. Big Grin

Holy crap. If I had to color the extractor groove in every piece of brass I reloaded it'd be a full-time job.

The only brass I color is brass that I use to shoot matches.

Any other brass is just shot on a range during practice, and the private clubs I'm a member of, people scrub their brass pretty good. I'm not worried about picking up something that wasn't fired from one of my weapons in that situation. Especially pistol brass, I'll pick up whatever is laying around.

Every time you make a typo, the errorists win.

Posts: 15317 | Location: Location, Location  | Registered: April 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
I have several five gallon buckets of brass I picked up from the range when I was in the service....

sorted it all one day on my day off and kept the 5.56 and 40 (the others cals got trashed and sold to the recycler)

then I began a long, long, long trip of counting out 500 cases of each and deprimed & cleaned them (wet tumbling)

put them into ziplock 1 gallon bags and sealed them and placed them into a 5 gal bucket.....

I'm down to one bucket of 40 cal left- I use it for USPSA...(I'm not really good, but I have fun)

Got two buckets of 556 left in the garage but the rest is already loaded in the house stacked over the safe in 30cal cans...so I've got about 5000 loaded rounds of 556 - loaded to 3020fps w/55grFMJ (equals M193)

"because skittles." Swain0351

Posts: 4178 | Location: 35-46.02N 077-55.54W | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
I mostly shoot bigger stuff where the brass can be nearly $3 each, like 338 Ultra and 375 Ruger. That brass is put right back in the MTM ammo box after the shot.

[i]

Posts: 4646 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by agony:
I use the clear plastic shoe boxes.
{snip}
I stick a label on the inside so I can quickly identify the caliber.

Same for me. I get 'em cheap at the dollar store up the road.

Support our troops, and our veterans.
Go Hokies!
New favorite quote from the golf course: "It's not the club, son."

Posts: 7124 | Location: Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by agony:
I use the clear plastic shoe boxes.
I got a case of them at the Container Store.
They come in different sizes.

http://www.containerstore.com/...d?productId=11003153

An old pic...the shelf is now full, and there's about 30 more shoe boxes stacked up nearby.

I stick a label on the inside so I can quickly identify the caliber.

Agony,

The PMC ammo in red n white boxes, that wouldn't happen to be .45 acp would it.

Sentiment without action is the ruin of the soul.

Help, I'm having premonitions of future flashbacks.

Only in an insane world are the sane considered insane.

Some people listen to the noise of the world,
And some people listen to the quiet.

Posts: 7449 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
pistol brass is all put in 3 lbs coffee can sorted by caliber only. When the can is full the brass is cleaned and loaded. My 357 and 44 mags also my 454 Casull are sorted per head stamp, lot number, trimmed to the same length, and keep in the same ammo box, loaded and empty. When the box is all used, that box is cleaned and loaded.

Posts: 330 | Location: Minnesota  | Registered: June 14, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post