SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Reloading    Storing (Spent) Brass?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Storing (Spent) Brass? Login/Join 
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted
How do y'all do it? I don't mean exact storage methods, per se, but, more "organizational?"

When I first started shooting "in earnest," my friend, the same one who's giving me all the reloading stuff, was carefully keeping all his separated by brand, (original) bullet weight, what firearm it'd been used in, etc. So that's what I've (mostly) been doing.

But that results in a lot of mostly empty cardboard ammo boxes. They're kinda startin' to pile up.

So I'm wondering if it isn't sufficient to store it merely by caliber--only separating the nickel-plated cases from the straight brass. I suppose it'd be best to keep the 5.56 brass separate from the .223, too.

We have these empty kitty litter bins that are stackable. Each one could hold a lot of loose brass Smile

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe

Posts: 10611 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I keep all the different calibers separate, and cases separate.

Posts: 100 | Registered: October 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blue68f100
posted Hide Post
Hand gun ammo by caliber. With match ammo separated by head stamp. Rifle is kept in lots, mfg and caliber.

David

P229R 9mm, Nitron, Beavertail Frame, Night Sights, DA/SA, SRT & Short Reach Trigger

Posts: 3384 | Location: Piney Woods of East Texas | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hoping for better pharmaceuticals
Picture of AZSigs
posted Hide Post
My brass is stored in zipped baggies. I then put that into storage bins. The 23 qt size I believe. I probably have at least 10,000 pieces of brass for each caliber I shoot. The loaded stuff goes into ammo cans. The factory stuff is on the bottom shelf organized by caliber.

Getting shot is no achievement. Hitting your enemy is.

Posts: 7785 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: April 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
so sexy it hurts
Picture of agony
posted Hide Post
I use the clear plastic shoe boxes.
I got a case of them at the Container Store.
They come in different sizes.

http://www.containerstore.com/...d?productId=11003153

An old pic...the shelf is now full, and there's about 30 more shoe boxes stacked up nearby.

I stick a label on the inside so I can quickly identify the caliber.

"You have the right not to be killed..."

The Clash, "Know Your Rights"

Posts: 26276 | Location: Westizzle Virgizzle | Registered: December 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
To clarify: Do y'all separate your brass by anything other than caliber? And, perhaps, whether or not it's plated?

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe

Posts: 10611 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
This Space for Rent
Picture of ugeesta
posted Hide Post
No, caliber only. I thought about segregating by how many times the casing has been fired, but after picking up range brass, that count gets lost too easy.

We will never know world peace, until three people can simultaneously look each other straight in the eye

Posts: 4347 | Location: N-E Ohio | Registered: April 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ugeesta:
No, caliber only. I thought about segregating by how many times the casing has been fired, but after picking up range brass, that count gets lost too easy.

I wondered about that. Also: Sometimes you can't tell your brass from another's. One time some guy gave me a box-full of brass. Etc.

Maybe sort and bag by headstamp?

Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

I only shoot and reload pistol, so by caliber only, mixing brass and nickel plated together. I do take the time to retrieve my own brass and keep only mine, because of known provenance.

Posts: 6132 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
This Space for Rent
Picture of ugeesta
posted Hide Post
Sorting by headstamp. Something else i did when i started out but that quickly fell off as well. That being said, some brass is thinner than others. If I recall correctly, Remington brass is one of the thinner casings on the market. Starline is one of the most durable.

We will never know world peace, until three people can simultaneously look each other straight in the eye

Posts: 4347 | Location: N-E Ohio | Registered: April 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chicken Chucker
Picture of MooneyP226
posted Hide Post
5 gallon buckets, by caliber, and by clean or dirty. Also one extra bucket for scrap cases. A small bin for calibers that I don't load for, but that I know people who do.

Clarior Hinc Honos

"Oh what a beautiful morning, oh what a beautiful day..." -Oscar Hammerstein

Posts: 1343 | Location: In your way | Registered: November 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rule #1: Use enough gun
Picture of Bigboreshooter
posted Hide Post
Big plastic coffee cans. They're great for brass, and will hold 1,000 rds of 9mm and 500 rds of 45.

The only pistol brass I sort is small primer 45's. I just save 'em until I've got 100 rds, load 'em, and use them if shooting at a place where I may not be able to pick up my brass.

When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own house, his possessions are undisturbed. Luke 11:21

"Every nation in every region now has a decision to make.
Either you are with us, or you are with the terrorists." -- George W. Bush

Posts: 12993 | Location: Birmingham, Alabama | Registered: February 25, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of WildSig
posted Hide Post
I am only reloading handgun calibers at this time and I sort by caliber and whether they are nickle or not.

I am using the 5 gallon pail process for storage. Each caliber has at least 2 open 5 gallon pails for dirty brass and at least 1 covered pail for clean brass. I also have 1 open 5 gallon pail that collects all split or unusable brass. All nickle cases are just stored by caliber in zip-lock bags.

Posts: 2132 | Location: Southern Minnesota | Registered: March 15, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Perfection is impossible,
Trying is not…
posted Hide Post
Pistol I sort by caliber and whether brass or nickel. Rifle (AR and M1A) I sort by headstamp.

Posts: 388 | Location: OKC | Registered: October 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fyimo
posted Hide Post
By caliber and then by cleaned or not are separated into big Plastic coffee cans.

Freedom Is Not Free And Is Paid For By Our Military.
VFW Member
NRA Life Member 042722999
SWCA

Posts: 8937 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: July 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Casuistic Thinker and Daoist
Picture of 9mmepiphany
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bigboreshooter:
Big plastic coffee cans. They're great for brass, and will hold 1,000 rds of 9mm and 500 rds of 45.

Folger's coffee cans are the best.

I only reload handgun (only 4 calibers) and I do sort by headstamp, I put a piece of painters tape and label with a magic marker. It just makes it easier to tune loads by eliminating variables

It got a bit much when I got beyond 8 major manufacturers (I lumped trash like FM/Ammoland together) of 9mm, so I just kept the 3 I liked the most and sold off the other 10k pieces to a new owner of a Dillon 1050. I give away any Rem, IMT, or FM I find in my pile after a match.

In .38SPl, I have about 10k cases of personally once-fired Winchester brass that I use for competition. Not only are they sorted by headstamp, but by font and cannelure (number and placement). I also trim them to get a consistent roll crimp

No, Daoism isn't a religion

Posts: 12876 | Location: northern california | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
Cleaned by caliber,zip bags in five gallon bucket.
Dont sort by head stamp as I have found that is a waste of time on pistol.
I am cranky on rifle,it gets head stamp sorting and put in Jiff peanut butter jars.
Mostly it gets loaded and stowed in ammo cans .

Posts: 20839 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of exx1976
posted Hide Post
cleaned by caliber, loose in a 5-gallon bucket.

Dirty brass gets sorted into plastic shopping bags which are them put in the same bucket as the clean brass. When I collect up enough dirty brass of 1 caliber, I'll run it through the tumbler.

Every time you make a typo, the errorists win.

Posts: 15443 | Location: Location, Location  | Registered: April 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
Handgun brass and rifle brass for plinking/practice loads I just sort by caliber. Brass for match loads is sorted by caliber, manufacturer, and (when known) number of firings. I use a mishmash of storage methods: ammo cans, gallon-size ziploc bags, and cardboard boxes.

Posts: 4741 | Location: Portland, OR | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bamf
Picture of DevlDogs55
posted Hide Post
For .223, .300 AAC, and 9mm I toss everything into the same 2 gallon bucket when at the range, and that's what I bring it home in. I have 5 gallon buckets at home that store it all until I sort it by caliber. .308 goes from my chamber back in my MTM ammo cases.

My bulk stuff gets sorted by caliber. For that stuff - I don't care to sort by number of firings or headstamp. Then I tumble it and store it in clear plastic shoe boxes.

"I have a suggestion to keep you all occupied. Learn to swim" - Ænema

1st Battalion 7th Marines

Posts: 4566 | Location: Puyallup, WA | Registered: November 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post