SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Reloading    Well crap - wasted primers - and what .357 brass do you like?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Well crap - wasted primers - and what .357 brass do you like? Login/Join 
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted
I prepped a bunch of .357 brass last weekend. Resized, expanded and primed.

I finished reloading it this weekend. The last batch of 50 cases started splitting as I seated bullets. Once two split, I decided those cases had to go. I pulled the two bullets, but there goes 50 primers down the drain.

I had lost track of how many firings they had, but maybe 5 or 6. Plus, they were old cases. I don't mind the cases - I got my use out them.

What .357 brass do you like best?

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53117 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Geaux Tigers
Picture of Alcapone396
posted Hide Post
Starline is your best bang for the buck!!!

Al______________Capone396

P220 Combat, P220 Sport, P220EL, X-5 Comp 9mm , P226 BlackWater, P226 ST.357 Sig, P226ST 9mm, P229ST .40, P228, P232 SL, Glock 19, CZ75BSS, CZ-83, S&W 29, S&W 640, S&W 642, Ruger MKII, Ruger Charger,, HKP7,,Browning Hi Power, Colt Anaconda, S&W 460 Mag, RRA 9mm CAR, Robinson Arms XCR, FN-SLP ,Arsenal SAS-M7,, Built AR-15 with lots of goodies,,Etc, Etc, Etc.....

Posts: 1263 | Location: Down South in Bayou Country | Registered: January 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
Starline is good unless you are like myself.
I shoot what ever other people leave in my range. Wink
The one exception is Mars ,his gun ,well lets just say he can keep it from the deagle.

Posts: 22407 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
You could always start annealing them. Kind of a PITA with pistol brass but it'd give more use.

Posts: 19975 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
The only new .357 cases I have bought were Winchester, they seem GTG...everything else I have loaded have been range pickup from over the years. All the brass cases have been about the same no matter the manufacturer...I just shoot them till they split...

The cases that seem to split with the most regularity are the nickel cases with Federal being the worst offender...I just toss any nickel case into a large coffee can for closer inspection before loading...quite a few will show a small crack starting (maybe 1/16" or so) but at least they show up well being nickel.

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
Plowing straight ahead come what may
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10580 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Casuistic Thinker and Daoist
Picture of 9mmepiphany
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
I pulled the two bullets, but there goes 50 primers down the drain.

Just deprime them and use the primers over again.

I have done it several times, I use a Lee Universal Decapping die and steady pressure. I'm depriming on a Lee Classic Cast, so the primers go into the catch tube for easy collection

No, Daoism isn't a religion

Posts: 14175 | Location: northern california | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
posted March 04, 2017 08:46 PM Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
I pulled the two bullets, but there goes 50 primers down the drain.

Just deprime them and use the primers over again.

I do the same. I use the sizing die to pop the primers out just go slow and take your time.

Posts: 474 | Location: Minnesota  | Registered: June 14, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blue68f100
posted Hide Post
Recover the primers, no need wasting them. Use them for practice, not critical use.

I use a universal deprimer to remove all primers. Just go slow and you will be fine. I have yet to set one off removing one.

David

P229R 9mm, Nitron, Beavertail Frame, Night Sights, DA/SA, SRT & Short Reach Trigger

Posts: 3464 | Location: Piney Woods of East Texas | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
It might be too late now, and might be a bit like hammering a nail with a 20# sledge depending how much you load, but....

This is one of the benefits, in my mind, of a Dillon (and possibly other progressive presses as well, though I've admittedly not used others) -

Priming of the case is done right before powder drop, which is done right before bullet seating.

So if you had cracked 2 or 3 cases in a row when seating, you'd have only primed 3 or 4 cases, not 50.

Again, a small benefit, but one worth noting IMO.

Posts: 15665 | Location: Location, Location  | Registered: April 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Free men do not ask
permission to bear arms
Picture of George43
posted Hide Post
I segregate all of my brass into lots of 50 or 100 of the same age/# of firings.
For those of you who do pick up range brass,
I pick up all of mine until I find one of mine has split.
I leave all of that box of 50 on the ground.

A gun in the hand is worth more than ten policemen on the phone.
The American Revolution was carried out by a group of gun toting religious zealots.

Posts: 3808 | Location: Spring, Texas | Registered: June 26, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
so sexy it hurts
Picture of agony
posted Hide Post
As mentioned above, I would salvage the primers by simply depriming the split cases.

"You have the right not to be killed..."

The Clash, "Know Your Rights"

Posts: 26978 | Location: Westizzle Virgizzle | Registered: December 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TRshootem
posted Hide Post
Yes, salvage the primers. I did just that on nearly 3400 .223 loads that were culls from a commercial shop. 1800 primers were salvaged, the others were mashed in sideways or other issues. Out of the 1800, just one failed to ignite. All were used in the field on varmints. Lots of good bullets were pulled as well.

Posts: 1320 | Location: Montana | Registered: October 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
It would be safe enough to trim those cases back and make them .38spcl, load them up, and thereby save the primers and cases for awhile.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8202 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
quote:
It would be safe enough to trim those cases back and make them .38spcl, load them up, and thereby save the primers and cases for awhile.

Once the case starts to spilt, it is really toast & should just be tossed. yeah you could do all that trimming & maybe get one more firing out of it but for me, not worth the effort.
Starline brass is my go to for magnums & 10mm. I also agree, deprime slowly & save those primers.

IF YOU AREN'T HANDLOADING, YOU AREN'T SHOOTING ENOUGH!
NRA Instruc: Basic Pistol & Met Reloading

Posts: 7789 | Location: ca, usa | Registered: February 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Casuistic Thinker and Daoist
Picture of 9mmepiphany
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigcrazy7:

Almost never worth it.

If you need .38Spl cases that badly, I'll send you some

No, Daoism isn't a religion

Posts: 14175 | Location: northern california | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fredj338:
quote:

Once the case starts to spilt, it is really toast & should just be tossed. yeah you could do all that trimming & maybe get one more firing out of it but for me, not worth the effort.
Starline brass is my go to for magnums & 10mm. I also agree, deprime slowly & save those primers.

+1 for Starline brass. I don't shoot 38 special brass in my magnums if I want those ballistics. I reload to that or 38 special +P.

The nickel plated cases do seem to split more readily, less ductile than brass?

Reminds me I need some starline 357 they are having an easier time keeping up with the demand.

Just think where we would be now in reloading land if that criminal Hitlery had won.

Posts: 1258 | Location: Duvall WA, USA | Registered: February 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Annealing would be a good answer. Not hard to do here. Case is big enough to not get hot at the head and the mouth reacts well. The primers are wasted though.

I should be tall and rich too; That ain't gonna happen either

Posts: 358 | Location: NW NJ | Registered: December 07, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I pick up all of mine until I find one of mine has split.
I leave all of that box of 50 on the ground.

And that's why I don't pick up range brass...no tellin' what its life cycle has been....and on another note...I bet the split case was nickle plated...I find that they're far more susceptible to splitting than the brass variety. Lastly, I find Starline brass outstanding in all calibers. Rod

5th Spl Forces, Air Force Bird Dog FAC, lll Corps RVN 69-70.... We enjoy the Bill of Rights by the sacrifices of our veterans;
Politicians, Preachers, Educators, Journalists and Community Organizers are beneficiaries, not defenders of our freedoms.

Posts: 725 | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RGRacing
posted Hide Post
I sure don't see any 357 Sig Brass on the floor and I grab everything I can. I catch and have shot Sig Sauer 125 FMJ $20.84 last Nov during a sale.

Kill for 40 and 380 brass.
Now 22TCM -

Posts: 493 | Location: Mpls, MN | Registered: January 05, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
I have two .30cal ammo cans full of range pickup(plinking ammo), if they split when reloading I toss them other wise I keep reloading them....

I have no idea how many loadings

NOW, the ones I use for hunting and what not...I use Starline and I keep them segregated in little green boxes and never will the two meet...

Plinking ammo is no worries
Hunting ammo is in it's own box with records kept....(I've reloaded some Starline used at full powered 357 mag pressures five times and haven't had a problem yet)

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11246 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post