SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Reloading    How to capture pistol brass?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How to capture pistol brass? Login/Join 
Picture of barndg00
posted
My range is great for picking up lots of used brass, but I no longer need more brass, I would like to keep what I shoot as I know the number of firings, and I also have some Starline 380 I bought that I’d like to keep hold of. I tried a brass catcher that straps to your hand, but it did a terrible job. Put down a sheet on the ground, but it’s hit or miss and does not allow me to move while practicing. Anyone have a reliable method to catch pisto brass?

Posts: 2155 | Location: NC | Registered: January 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blue68f100
posted Hide Post
I have one I built years ago for using in the indoor range I shot at. I converted a plastic 50 cal can to a catcher. I used legs from a 2 cheap tri-pods as post and mosquito netting. I've seen several made from pvc. They are commercially available. The one I copied had telescoping legs which fit into side the can for easy transport and storage.

David

P229R 9mm, Nitron, Beavertail Frame, Night Sights, DA/SA, SRT & Short Reach Trigger

Posts: 3464 | Location: Piney Woods of East Texas | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
Some ranges have the framed steel mesh one can put near to stop brass from flying far. It’s not perfect but won’t interfere with the action or get in the way.

Of course some guns throw brass odd directions, like over the head. Even in the backyard with short grass 380 brass seems to disappear.

Posts: 6129 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Larger tarps on the ground in strategic positions

After a while you get a feel where to put them

But they need to be larger than a sheet

RC

Posts: 1938 | Location: Indiana | Registered: March 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 1KPerDay
posted Hide Post
Google graco models and look at their tripod mounted one. I have two. As long as your pistol doesn't launch brass straight up it works well.

---------------------------
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Posts: 3181 | Registered: February 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Haveme1or2
posted Hide Post
Cheap metal detector

Posts: 1002 | Location: Mint Hill NC | Registered: November 26, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
Why do you think I had kids? Razz

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17244 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RGRacing
posted Hide Post
Using a Caldwell AR Catcher on my Beretta Cx4 with great success. No problem with any interference.
I have been contemplating attaching to the bottom rail of a P226 and see what happens.

I use a Home made catcher and stand for most range shooting but moving around is the real issue - Some brass is very expensive and worth the hassle.

Posts: 493 | Location: Mpls, MN | Registered: January 05, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
Push the ejector rod only while over an empty ammo can. All six empty brass will fall right in. Wink

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8200 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post