SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Reloading    How Do You Prime?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How Do You Prime? Login/Join 
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted
I was reading the user's manual for the RCBS Rock Chucker press I was gifted and it talks about a "universal primer arm," "primer plugs", "sleeves" and so-on. None of that is present.

It was so long ago my buddy used this stuff that he doesn't recall how he primed. The parts in question did not ring a bell.

The swag I was gifted included a Lee hand press, and he kinda sorta thinks maybe he used that. That may well be, as there's also the Lee Auto Prime Shell Holder Set. He had that for a reason, one presumes.

So how you you prime? (Assuming you don't use a progressive press.)

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe

Posts: 10795 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
On a ss press I use a hand priming tool. The Lee is ok, I prefer the Hornady, uses std shell holders. On my progressives I go with the priming system on the press.

IF YOU AREN'T HANDLOADING, YOU AREN'T SHOOTING ENOUGH!
NRA Instruc: Basic Pistol & Met Reloading

Posts: 7602 | Location: ca, usa | Registered: February 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blue68f100
posted Hide Post
I press prime on SS (redding) and AP (Hornady). Arthritis in my hands make it hard to do very many by hand.

David

P229R 9mm, Nitron, Beavertail Frame, Night Sights, DA/SA, SRT & Short Reach Trigger

Posts: 3389 | Location: Piney Woods of East Texas | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
I prefer the Lee hand primer. It's easier to feel when the primer bottoms out. With any magnum based on a .404 Jeffrey or larger case (RUM, .338 Lapua) I have to use the SS press. The case body is too big to fit in the hand primer. I don't have any fancy feeders. I just reach over, collect one primer, drop it in the cup and seat it.

[i]

Posts: 4738 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
Lee primer for rifle, on press for pistol (Dillon).

RMD

Some men are morally opposed to violence; they are protected by men who are not.

Posts: 18025 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
so sexy it hurts
Picture of agony
posted Hide Post
SS I use an old RCBS hand primer.

Otherwise the Dillon 550 does it for me.

"You have the right not to be killed..."

The Clash, "Know Your Rights"

Posts: 26357 | Location: Westizzle Virgizzle | Registered: December 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rduckwor:
Lee primer for rifle, on press for pistol (Dillon).

RMD

This...LEE has worked for years.

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
Plowing straight ahead come what may
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 6610 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

Mostly on the Dillon, but when I do single stage loading, I use the Lee Auto Prime tool.

Posts: 6403 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jjkroll32
posted Hide Post
RCBS bench mounted primer

NRA Life Member

Long Live the Super Thirty-Eight

Posts: 10198 | Location: Mid-Michigan | Registered: October 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Casuistic Thinker and Daoist
Picture of 9mmepiphany
posted Hide Post
I learned using a RCBS hand primer with the Universal jaws.

I usually prime on my Hornady LNL AP, but I also have a Forster Co-Ax Bench Priming Tool to fix odd things or if my press is set for something else at that moment.

I've even been know to prime on my Lee Classic Cast using the provided rams if it is just a couple of cases

No, Daoism isn't a religion

Posts: 12898 | Location: northern california | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Lee hand press.

Posts: 881 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Lyman EZEE Prime. It was that or the Lee; the decision maker was which was available at the store I went to looking for a priming tool.

"In order to understand recursion, you must first learn the principle of recursion."

Posts: 2439 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: August 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by agony:
SS I use an old RCBS hand primer.

Otherwise the Dillon 550 does it for me.

Same same.

"How dreadful are the curses which Mohammedanism lays on its votaries! Besides the fanatical frenzy, which is as dangerous in a man as hydrophobia in a dog, there is this fearful fatalistic apathy." Winston Churchill

Posts: 12416 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bob RI
posted Hide Post
Lee hand primer or Hornady progressive press depending on what I'm loading.

Posts: 4003 | Location: NH | Registered: January 22, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
I have used the rcbs priming station when I started out,it does ok but slow.
Bought the lee and used to watch t v with a dishpan in lap using the lee on 357 and 38's
That was a long time ago.
Now I just let the 550 do all my priming.

Posts: 20916 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rule #1: Use enough gun
Picture of Bigboreshooter
posted Hide Post
Been using a Lee hand primer for 30+ years. It works.

When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own house, his possessions are undisturbed. Luke 11:21

"Every nation in every region now has a decision to make.
Either you are with us, or you are with the terrorists." -- George W. Bush

Posts: 13167 | Location: Birmingham, Alabama | Registered: February 25, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of exx1976
posted Hide Post

Link to original video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TzXnkuw54I4

Every time you make a typo, the errorists win.

Posts: 15528 | Location: Location, Location  | Registered: April 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
I do most LR/LP priming on my RL450, with the exception of match rifle loads, which I hand prime with an RCBS tool. SP/SR stuff I usually also do by hand, but mainly because swapping out the large/small priming system on the 450 is kind of a pain (and it doesn't help that since probably 80% of what I reload uses large primers, I seem to have misplaced one of the pieces of the the small primer setup for the Dillon Roll Eyes ).

Posts: 4772 | Location: Portland, OR | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by exx1976:

Link to original video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TzXnkuw54I4

Hahahahaha!

As soon as I thought I heard the guy say "about $600," I stopped the video, double-checked and moved on.

It looks like a Really Neat Tool, though.

Reading the responses, here. Searching. Reading reviews on Midway, Brownell's, Amazon, etc. I think I'm currently inclined to go with the RCBS APS® Hand Priming Tool and RCBS APS® Primer Strip Loader. Prices at Amazon would bring the cost for the two to about $75, which seems like a decent compromise. (I may first try loading the strips w/o the strip loader, before popping for that, when the time comes.)

What I've been reading of the old Lee hand primer gives me the heebie-jeebies , and the new ones seem to be pretty widely-reviled for poor quality. RCBS has a universal one with a feeding system similar to the Lee, but, users have had "issues" with that one, too. (Keeping the primers upright, plastic bits getting loose or breaking off, etc.)

I'll also see if I can't buy the parts for the press' "universal primer" mechanism, if my buddy cannot locate them. (That's assuming they came with the press in the first place.)

Thanks for the feedback and suggestions, everybody! My education continues apace Smile

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe

Posts: 10795 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Only do rifle rounds now so automation is not a factor ~ quality is.
I use the Sinclair Prime Tool.

Posts: 13614 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post