SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Reloading    Does Anyone Have a Favorite Homemade Case Lube Formula
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Does Anyone Have a Favorite Homemade Case Lube Formula Login/Join 
posted
The best non- pressurized case lube solutions seems to be made with a ratio of lanolin oil and 90+% IPA. Anyone have a favorite formula/ratio that has good results?

Posts: 60 | Registered: January 01, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Pure liquid lanolin and 99% isopropyl alcohol. Most agree a ratio at 1 part lanolin to 12 parts alcohol works well. Any higher ratio is too greasy. 1/12 seems to be close to Dillon's excellent mixture. It actually works at even slightly less than 1/12 but I'd try this ratio first. I just spray a couple squirts on a case lube pad and roll my cases. You do need a good spray bottle. Couple 16 oz. bottles of alcohol and one 4 oz. bottle of lanolin makes a lot of lube rather than paying $9.00 or so for one factory 8 oz. bottle.

Posts: 112 | Registered: May 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
My favorite recipe is to open my web browser and order a tin of imperial.

Posts: 15665 | Location: Location, Location  | Registered: April 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rg1:
Pure liquid lanolin and 99% isopropyl alcohol. Most agree a ratio at 1 part lanolin to 12 parts alcohol works well. Any higher ratio is too greasy. 1/12 seems to be close to Dillon's excellent mixture. It actually works at even slightly less than 1/12 but I'd try this ratio first. I just spray a couple squirts on a case lube pad and roll my cases. You do need a good spray bottle. Couple 16 oz. bottles of alcohol and one 4 oz. bottle of lanolin makes a lot of lube rather than paying $9.00 or so for one factory 8 oz. bottle.

My own experience/opinion.....

I was once an Imperial Trooper.... Then I began discovering variability in measurements case to case.

So I switched over to the Lanolin and Alcohol. I mix 1:10. Easy for my brain to remember. No more measurement variation now.

Just my $0.02.....

Andrew

Duty is the sublimest word in the English Language - Gen Robert E Lee.

Posts: 861 | Registered: May 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rg1:

I have been a fan if this for years ,but I use spray bottle and a plastic tub With brass spread out.
They get stirred and tossed around .
they sit for about 30 minutes till dry.

Posts: 22407 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^^^^^
45 Cal....when you lube your brass in the tub, do you line the bottom with paper towels or anything like that??

quote:
Originally posted by exx1976:

LOL!! I'm right there with you for my rifle brass, exx! Smile For pistol though, even with carbide dies, sometimes I'd like a light lube that's not as labor intensive as Imperial.

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11054 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I luv Sig Forum; so many people with opinions, knowledge and experience. Doesn't get any better!!!

Posts: 60 | Registered: January 01, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by erj_pilot:
^^^^^^^^^^^^
45 Cal....when you lube your brass in the tub, do you line the bottom with paper towels or anything like that??

quote:
Originally posted by exx1976:

LOL!! I'm right there with you for my rifle brass, exx! Smile For pistol though, even with carbide dies, sometimes I'd like a light lube that's not as labor intensive as Imperial.

That is a no and when I am thru with my spraying and sizing of the brass it gets washed with simple green.
My old tubs must be 30 years old,the are the hospital type wash basins they toss when you check out.

Posts: 22407 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 45 Cal:
That is a no and when I am thru with my spraying and sizing of the brass it gets washed with simple green.

My old tubs must be 30 years old,the are the hospital type wash basins they toss when you check out.

Since I'd be looking to lube several hundred pieces of brass at once, would this be overkill?? 28-quart...

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11054 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
so sexy it hurts
Picture of agony
posted Hide Post
I line my bin with wax paper before spraying the lanolin/alcohol mix.

"You have the right not to be killed..."

The Clash, "Know Your Rights"

Posts: 26978 | Location: Westizzle Virgizzle | Registered: December 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
Pilot that will work and another tip for you.
Cleaning media need to be 100 percent gone.
Before I spray the cases I use lots of air to get media gone.
Wear glasses because the cases always have stuck particles and the air nozzle blows it everywhere.
[You will get it in the face]

Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^^^^^
Thanks for the info and tip! Got a nice plastic bin from Ace Hardware yesterday. Can't wait to make this home-made lube and put it to use!!

Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
Where do you get good lanolin?

Posts: 11812 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
so sexy it hurts
Picture of agony
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OKCGene:

Amazon

Posts: 26978 | Location: Westizzle Virgizzle | Registered: December 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by agony:
quote:

Amazon

This?

http://a.co/2qGqCnB

And here's the alcohol to go with it....

http://a.co/2iml9Fl

Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
I have made my own but buying is pretty cheap for something like RCBS or even Dillon. 15-1 is my mix of anhydrous lanolin & 90% alcohol. It works great but again, Dillon lube is cheap enough.

IF YOU AREN'T HANDLOADING, YOU AREN'T SHOOTING ENOUGH!
NRA Instruc: Basic Pistol & Met Reloading

Posts: 7789 | Location: ca, usa | Registered: February 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
so sexy it hurts
Picture of agony
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by erj_pilot:
quote:
Originally posted by agony:
quote:

Amazon

This?

http://a.co/2qGqCnB

And here's the alcohol to go with it....

http://a.co/2iml9Fl

Yup, that's the stuff I've used.

Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
Thangya vera much! Big Grin

It's much appreciated.

Posts: 11812 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post