SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Reloading    Handloading for precision/competition - Added Ladder Test 2022-07-16
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Handloading for precision/competition - Added Ladder Test 2022-07-16 Login/Join 
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
I'll add my thanks. We've seen bits and pieces of this over that past few months, but it is nice to have it all in one place.

Thanks again and good luck with the matches in the future.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20317 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ball Haulin'
Picture of entropy
posted Hide Post
Nikon let me add my thanks.

I'm not quite at this level yet, but saved the thread as a text file and put it on a stick with other related stuff. This way, I won't have to come back here and ask the same things again.

--------------------------------------
"There are things we know. There are things we dont know. Then there are the things we dont know that we dont know."

Posts: 10079 | Location: At the end of the gravel road. | Registered: November 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
rduckwor and entropy, thank you for the nice words and wishes.

Yes, it's a good thing to save the threads you think are good for future reference; they disappear so quickly here.

Posts: 3398 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 20, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Love the thread, I have it stickied to my taskbar.
I hope it stays alive with more great insight.
Thanks Cool

Posts: 22887 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
I was intrigued by the OMEGA powder trickler as soon as I read about it here. Mine came in last week from Brownells/Sinclair. VERY neat addition to the loading bench.

It really speeds things up versus my old manual trickler. I was loading some .223 Match loads with Varget and 75 gr slugs. Found the OMEGA was far easier to get the charge right on the money, and quicker. And without having to move my hand between the powder measure and scale..less movement= less wasted time.

I also bought a .223 Rem Wilson case gauge. I've never used one, other than one for 9mm that sits by my Dillon 1050 to QC check loaded rds occasionally.

FN in MT

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FN in MT:
I was intrigued by the OMEGA powder trickler as soon as I read about it here. Mine came in last week from Brownells/Sinclair. VERY neat addition to the loading bench.

It really speeds things up versus my old manual trickler. I was loading some .223 Match loads with Varget and 75 gr slugs. Found the OMEGA was far easier to get the charge right on the money, and quicker. And without having to move my hand between the powder measure and scale..less movement= less wasted time.

I also bought a .223 Rem Wilson case gauge. I've never used one, other than one for 9mm that sits by my Dillon 1050 to QC check loaded rds occasionally.

FN in MT

Been using an Omega trickler for a couple years. Great product, highly recommended!

Posts: 3197 | Location: 9860 ft above sea level Colorado | Registered: December 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
Bump to prevent archive.

Posts: 15665 | Location: Location, Location  | Registered: April 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My thanks to Nikon for his time and effort. His postings have saved many of us a lot of wasted energy.

Semper Fi...Sig Marine

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Sig Marine,

A man should acknowledge his losses just as gracefully as he celebrates his victories

Remember, in politics it's not who you know...it's what you know about who you know

Posts: 811 | Location: CA | Registered: February 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of The Crimson
posted Hide Post
Thank you Nikon, as someone who only recently started reloading, this is a bit overwhelming, but as someone with a manufacturing degree, this is fascinating.

And thank you exx, as I probably would never have seen this had you not bumped it.

"Why is self-control, autonomy, such a threat to authority? Because the person who controls himself, who is his own master, has no need for an authority to be his master. This, then, renders authority unemployed. What is he to do if he cannot control others? To be sure, he could mind his own business. But this is a fatuous answer, for those who are satisfied to mind their own business do not aspire to become authorities."

Posts: 1728 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: July 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
I requested that the mods stickie this thread.
We will see.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”

Posts: 20317 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
I don't know who it was that stickied this for us, but thank you thank you thank you!

Posts: 15665 | Location: Location, Location  | Registered: April 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Road Kill
Picture of Wyatt_jr
posted Hide Post
Lots of good stuff here. I missed it until now.
Thanks for the bump and the sticky.

Posts: 1851 | Location: Chester County, PA | Registered: March 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
hello darkness
my old friend
Picture of gw3971
posted Hide Post
I missed this as well. I am new to reloading and most off this might as well been in greek. That being said thanks for the right up and pointing out how much more I have to learn. I am looking forward to the challenge!

Posts: 7724 | Location: West Jordan, Utah | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wow. It's been a while since I've been here. I just thought I'd stop by to see what you had done with the place and here I find my last thread as a sticky.

Posts: 3398 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 20, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NikonUser:
Wow. It's been a while since I've been here. I just thought I'd stop by to see what you had done with the place and here I find my last thread as a sticky.

NIKON!

Absolutely. This thread was full of great information!

Good to "see" you again!

You gonna stick around for a while this time? BTW - several folks in the rifle section have been asking about you. Check out the "Long range rifle" thread in there.

Picture of DEC505
posted Hide Post
Very informative post to a new reloader. Guess I've got a lot to learn before becoming a handloader.

thanks, Derrell

Hell has no fury like a liberal
confronted with reality

Posts: 814 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 26, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just thought I would post an update.

As Fritz "spill the beans" indicated on another thread; I won the 2014 Texas State Long Range F-TR Championship last weekend. I very happy with my performance and actually shot an honest to goodness master level score in what were pretty bad wind conditions.

I actually credit my ammunition for that win. When I was on, the ammo did not fail me. I did one adjustment just before loading my batch for this championship. I went back and remeasured the chamber in the rifle and discovered that the lands had receded somewhat, about .008. So before seating this batch, I untwisted the seating button on the Redding micrometer die to compensate for that and completed the ammo.

The results were on the target and I was very happy.

After playing with the WFT for several hundred cases, I decided that life is too short and so, to join my automated Giraud annealer, I have ordered a Giraud trimmer for .308 and I intend to trim every loading.

Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
Congrats! Details would be nice. What did you shoot (rifle/caliber, etc.)?

RMD

posted Hide Post
Great, there goes my anonymity on this site.

I shot my F-TR match rifle in .308 caliber. The rifle is an Arrowbee 1-LR. Don't look at buying one; it was put together by a gunsmith friend of mine who assembled the parts that I supplied him with.

The barrel is a 32 inch, medium-heavy Palma contour, 1:11 twist, Palma 95 modified chambered .308/.300 Krieger SS barrel.

The action is by Kelbly, a Panda F-class right-port, right-bolt, with fluted bolt, no ejector, with integrated 20MOA ramp.

The stock is a Precision Rifle and Tools F-TR lowboy with 3-way adjustable buttplate and integrated Freeland rail.

The trigger is a Jewell set to 1.5 ounces, no safety.

The scope is a Nightforce NSX 12-42X56 with 1/8 MOA knobs. It's mounted on the rail with Kelbly rings.

The bipod is a Sinclair 3rd gen F-TR bipod with integrated elevation adjustment.

The rear bag is a SEB standard, filled with Sinclair heavy sand.

The ammo is Lapua .308 Win with LR primer hole. It started in my rotation as virgin brass, prepared exactly as I explained earlier in this thread. The bullet is a .308 JLK LBT. Powder is Varget. Primers are Wolf LR.

The Constable
posted Hide Post
Congratulations NikonUser! What an accomplishment.

Your cover is blown now.

FN in MT

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post