SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  CCW Methods & Issues    Needd a new belt...Tactical style?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Needd a new belt...Tactical style? Login/Join 
The Constable
posted
I need a new EDC belt. 1.5" would be fine.

In keeping with my recent resolution to try new things (within reason). I may try one of the nylon, Tactical style belts. Like SOE or the Tuff Gear belt.

I carry a Commander in the Winter , a couple of different revolvers when I'm in the field; S&W 696, FA M-97, etc. So I DO change guns frequently.

Any input? Any suggestions?

FN in MT

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
Wilderness "Instructor?" I have a couple (different colors) but don't use them much any more. They are plenty stiff enough, width-wise, to carry a gun and other gear on. If you hook enough of them together you could probably tow a car with them, and use the buckle for a flail or bludgeon.

Posts: 27834 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Another vote for Wilderness belts.

Posts: 32423 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I prefer leather belts, but I have a 1.5" Wilderness 5-stitch Frequent Flyer belt that works well. Plus, I wear it when I fly so I don't have to take off my metal-buckled leather belt at the security checkpoint.

For the guns you plan on carrying, I might consider getting the CSM polymer-reinforced version for extra support.

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts." Sherlock Holmes

Posts: 1286 | Registered: February 26, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The cake is a lie!
Picture of Nismo
posted Hide Post
I have the 1.5" SOE EDC belt with the cobra buckle.

It's very stiff and can hold just about anything up.

I wear it with the buckle off to the side.
If I were to do it again, I would probably have purchased the SOE low profile EDC belt, which replaces the cobra buckle with a hook style clip that is flush with the belt.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Nismo,

Posts: 7415 | Location: CA | Registered: April 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nismo:
I have the 1.5" SOE EDC belt with the cobra buckle.

It very stuff and can hold just about anything up.

I wear it with the buckle off to the side.
If I were to do it again, I would probably have purchased the SOE low profile EDC belt, which replaces the cobra buckle with a hook style clip that is flush with the belt.

Funny You mention SOE as the low profile, EDC is the one that interested me. Thanks for the input.

A buddy has the 1.5" cobra, which he uses for Steel Challenge. I gave him one of my old Safariland 1.5" velcro belts, that I used when I was carrying a duty belt. THAT setup, on the thick, Cobra velcro gunbelt, works very well. Basically using it like an LE duty belt with the velcro underbelt and keepers. Easy on and off, no fishing the belt through loops etc.

Using their heavy belt as an EDC would be tough I think...SO thick and stiff. Maybe TOO thick and stiff.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of msfzoe
posted Hide Post
Another vote for the 1.5" Wilderness 5 stitch.

Posts: 2422 | Location: newyorkistan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
Appreciate the input...just ordered the SOE EDC , low profile in Coyote/od grn.

...and now here's Al
with the Weather.
Picture of guardianangel762
posted Hide Post
I have had 1 wilderness belt since 2005. It sees almost daily use.

Posts: 9018 | Location: Lake Stevens, WA | Registered: March 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JasonEuc
posted Hide Post
The Magpul Tejas "El Burro" is a good alternative to the Wilderness option. It's a polymer with aluminum buckle. Stiff enough for a reasonably weighted EDC (5" steel 1911, eh, maybe not so much).

https://www.magpul.com/product...as-gun-belt-el-burro

Posts: 1305 | Location: Lehigh Valley, PA | Registered: February 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you're still looking for options, check out Volund Gearworks. I really like the Atlas G-hook belts.

http://store.volundgearworks.c...tlas-ghook-belt.html

Like guns, Love Sigs

Posts: 1210 | Location: Battle Born | Registered: December 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Armed and Gregarious
Picture of DMF
posted Hide Post
The Wilderness belts are very nice, but for much less money the Uncle Mike's Nylon Reinforced Instructor belt is very good. IMO, save the money and get the Uncle Mike's.

Avoid belts with "Cobra" buckles for everyday use, because the buckles are too big too fit through belt loops. Since there is a piece to the buckle on each end, they require taking off part of the buckle at one end, to be able to thread the belt through the loops, and then re-attaching the buckle to that end. They're great as the inner belt on a battle belt, but are horrible for everyday carry use.

"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen, and I say let us give them all they want." - William Tecumseh Sherman

Posts: 12591 | Location: Nomad | Registered: January 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted Hide Post
Tried out one of these two-ply Klik Belts. So far have been pretty pleased with it. Also makes threading through a holster very easy as you're not contending with the extra bulk of the velco that my Wilderness belt has.

Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Complacency sucks…

Posts: 5423 | Location: Wichita, KS (for now)…always a Texan… | Registered: April 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Honky Lips
Picture of FenderBender
posted Hide Post
Boxer tactical I like their apogee belt.

https://boxertactical.com/collections/belts

Posts: 8144 | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sauer Kraut
posted Hide Post
Get The Wilderness 1.5 inch, 5 stitch instructor belt.

Here

Made in the USA. All the others are copies or too complicated.

I have 3. My oldest one was purchased 17 years ago and I use it almost everyday. It’s been on multiple deployments and it’s still holding up just fine.

Just try one, you will like it I think

Posts: 724 | Location: Middle (of nowhere) Georgia  | Registered: December 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When I was researching which belt to buy, I started a thread just like this one, and the clear winner based on the opinions given was the Wilderness belt, which is what I bought.

As stated, the buckle itself is a weapon, and the strapping is quite stiff. They’ll even replace the Velcro for free when it wears out.

Highly recommend.

Posts: 198 | Location: SE Louisiana  | Registered: August 29, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I bought an Ares Gear Aegis belt from a user here some time ago. It is a double thickness of web. Quite stiff.

http://www.aresgear.com

Another that I saw earlier today is a variation on those "click" belts at a local LE store. Various types, both tactical and leather looks.

http://www.nexbelt.com

Posts: 2768 | Location: Northern California | Registered: December 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Another vote for Ares Gear. Best belt I’ve had - it’s my EDC belt and I’ve run rifle classes with it and not had an issue with loads at all. Very stiff belt and great quality.

Posts: 133 | Location: Westfield, IN | Registered: June 04, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hoping for better pharmaceuticals
Picture of AZSigs
posted Hide Post
+1 for The Wilderness belts

Getting shot is no achievement. Hitting your enemy is. NRA Endowment Member . NRA instructor

Posts: 8752 | Location: Peoria, Arizona | Registered: April 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 98XJRC
posted Hide Post
Another vote for Ares Gear. Been using one for a few years now and have been extremely satisfied with it. I highly recommend one.

Posts: 782 | Location: PA  | Registered: December 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post