SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  CCW Methods & Issues    Press checking fun
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Press checking fun Login/Join 
posted
Seriously, (but joking too) I don't get "press checkers" at all.

I load my handgun, don't take it off during the day, at night I put by my bedside... In short it never leaves my sight. The next day I don it, and go about my business, and repeat. That is till I go to the range. Then I unload / reload with target ammo, burn a box or so of carry ammo, re-load and go home.

I have to mentally grin when press checkers claim they are confirming that the handgun THEY loaded, never unloaded and have to check that it's STILL loaded?

Do these peeps live where gun unloading gnomes are at the bedside unloading the gun? Are they concerned that wifey will unload it whilst they sleep hoping hubby will get in a firefight the next day and start with an empty chamber? Divorce Miami style?

I've been teaching 30+ years, half of that an NRA Law Enforcement instructor and not once have I seen or heard of a LEO who felt the need to "press check" their sidearm.

One case I might consider is upon initially loading an auto, "press checking" may serve some kind of purpose that the case actually fed out of the mag... BUT... couldn't the extractor come off the rim and cause a problem that wasn't there before the press check? Or, couldn't the press check disturb the position of the #1 cartridge in the mag causing a second round fail to feed?

So, C'mon press checkers, fess up tell us why you'd suspect your gun somehow became unloaded.

Posts: 68 | Registered: June 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
Maybe your wife/dog/cat snuck up and unloaded it while you were sleeping.

I don't press check.

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
I press check every time I put it on because I am not infallible. In my current situation I have to load/unload my carry pistol (and the magazine) every time I want to carry it. Combine that with the distraction of kids and every day life and shit can, in fact, happen.

Do you think that you never make mistakes?

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17244 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
Hollywood made it look cool. Razz I've never seen the need to do it.

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
Did you join this forum just to start shit in your asininely juvenile threads?
Stupid troll.

Posts: 10827 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
"press checking" may serve some kind of purpose that the case actually fed out of the mag.

Unlikely, since the mag was full when I closed the slide, I ejected the mag and topped off with another round. If that round doesn't have a home then I would know something was up! Wink

To give the OP benefit of the doubt, an actual reply.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12348 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gnappi:
I've been teaching 30+ years, half of that an NRA Law Enforcement instructor and not once have I seen or heard of a LEO who felt the need to "press check" their sidearm.

Every single basic trainee i've taught has been trained to press check when loading and whenever the gun has been out of their immediate control.

So now you've heard of a couple thousand.

They've also been trained to check their tire pressure on a regular basis, the contents of their first aid kits, the availability of spare flashlight batteries, their currency of knowledge of the criminal code and a bunch of other things amateurs take for granted.

Posts: 632 | Registered: June 11, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
When you fall, I will be there to catch you -With love, the floor
posted Hide Post
Not needed yet I keep hearing that bell being rung at the academy many times because a round wasn't chambered.

Personal issue. I check.

Richard Scalzo
Epping, NH

http://www.bigeastakitarescue.net

Posts: 5803 | Location: Epping, NH | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Orive 8
posted Hide Post
quote:

At the department where I worked at, we would qualify on duty - you would get a call to head up to the range and qual. 2 out of the 4 yearly quals were done with duty ammo, so you walked into the range and up to the line - and the fun began.

One of our detectives came up to qual strait from his office. He walked up to the line and we started - first drill, target at 3 yards turned for 2 seconds you had to draw and fire 2 rounds. The target turned, he drew and we heard a "click". When we checked his SIG 226 it had an empty chamber, we asked him how long did he think that he had been carrying that way -his reply, "Since I cleaned it after last qual" (three months ago).

Maybe a press check at some point might have been a good thing?????

Before holstering my handgun for the day I press check, been doing it since the mid 80s, no reason to change.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tomorrow's battle is won during today's practice.

Posts: 1890 | Location: Collier Twp, PA | Registered: June 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flesheatingvirus:
I press check every time I put it on because I am not infallible. In my current situation I have to load/unload my carry pistol (and the magazine) every time I want to carry it. Combine that with the distraction of kids and every day life and shit can, in fact, happen.

I load mine and keep it that way due to the possibility of bullet "set back".
Is that a problem for you w/ constant unloading and loading?

I prefer to fully load a mag, insert and chamber a round. Then top off the mag. I know the gun is fully loaded then and there is no vacant chamber.

Posts: 7319 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire for effect
posted Hide Post
On my pistols, it is possible to either look into a "witness hole" and see that a round is chambered, or to look into the rear of the ejection port on the right side of the pistol were the bolt face comes into contact with the chamber and see the rim on the base of the round that is in the chamber. In bright light, it is visible without a press check. But, yes, I check every time I put it on to carry and every time that I load to shot in a match.

"Ride to the sound of the big guns."

Posts: 7210 | Location: South Georgia | Registered: May 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So you load your 15-round magazine with 15 rounds, pop it in the pistol, rack the slide and remove and top off the magazine. Hey! It took that extra round so it has 15 in it. I don't need to press check. Where the hell would that first round go if it wasn't in the chamber? Never heard of a Twilight Zone for ammo.

Portsmouth Naval Shipyard Nuclear QA Supervisor

Posts: 4 | Location: Southern Maine | Registered: December 06, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dsiets:
quote:
Originally posted by flesheatingvirus:

I load mine and keep it that way due to the possibility of bullet "set back".
Is that a problem for you w/ constant unloading and loading?

I prefer to fully load a mag, insert and chamber a round. Then top off the mag. I know the gun is fully loaded then and there is no vacant chamber.

It can be, especially since I carry .357SIG. I keep a close eye on it and tend to alternate which round gets chambered.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17244 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
parati et volentes
Picture of houndawg
posted Hide Post
quote:
BUT... couldn't the extractor come off the rim and cause a problem that wasn't there before the press check? Or, couldn't the press check disturb the position of the #1 cartridge in the mag causing a second round fail to feed?

No, and no. If your gun is in proper condition, the extractor isn't going to just pop off the rim, and even if it did you should notice that the slide isn't fully forward. The movement won't have any greater effect on the top round of the magazine than it would under normal operation of the pistol.

I would say that you were never a very good instructor if you have the attitude that you do, and you have to ask such questions.

Posts: 8272 | Location: Illinois, Occupied America | Registered: February 23, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rosie, the Corgi,
is my copilot
posted Hide Post
Although there may be a place for press checking, even in my advanced age of 70 I remember what condition each and every one of my handguns is in.

Posts: 3672 | Location: PNW | Registered: November 24, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ryanp225:
Did you join this forum just to start shit in your asininely juvenile threads?
Stupid troll.

No, see other intelligent posts you missed by shooting off your comment.

Posts: 68 | Registered: June 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
I used to work with a feller that was notorious for press checking as we entered the rougher housing projects.

This one housing project had a set of railroad tracks at the entrance. He never shot me during his press-check...but I always cringed crossing those tracks!

Best "cop" I ever worked with!

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11444 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't do it but to each his/her own.
What's on my waist goes on the nightstand when I go to bed. No need to unload and then load so I know what condition it's in.

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
I never unload my EDC, So I don’t have to check to see if it’s loaded.

When I was a cop, I never unloaded my P226, I found several people on my shift who had empty chambers after the range qual and we were forced to clean the gun while at the range. I ve seen guys who had a ball round (training ammo) in their gun six months after the last range day.

When I saw guys doing it at roll call I introduced them to the bullet trap and how to use it...and not to point guns at their fellow workers....

I always cringed when guns came out of holsters.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11246 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
For years I was in the 'never check' crowd, since the EDC went into the pistol safe at night and then back out the next morning.

A couple years ago I went to checking when I put it on for the day. Drop mag, check the chamber, mag back in.

Takes 5 seconds and ensure you avoid the 'oh fuck, it's not loaded' someday.

quote:
LEO who felt the need to "press check" their sidearm.

When I look for someone to emulate WRT firearms prowess, I don't look at LEOs because they are LEOs. I look at proficient shooters, regardless if they are LEOs or not.

There are plenty of LEOs who aren't good shooters, they are just people who happen to have to carry a gun for work.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post