SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  CCW Methods & Issues    New CHP permit
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New CHP permit Login/Join 
The 2nd guarantees the 1st
Picture of fiasconva
posted
I went in and renewed my CHP about 4 weeks ago. It came in the mail today and is a plastic credit card sized one. The last one was paper that you had to laminate yourself if you wanted it to last the five years. It's a nice change. A bill to expand from five to fifteen years before renewal was shot down earlier.

"Even if the world were perfect it wouldn't be." ... Yogi Berra

Posts: 1856 | Location: York County, VA | Registered: August 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIG 229R
posted Hide Post
I wish N C would go to that kind, we are still the old paper. Last time I renewed I forgot to go by Office Depot to get it laminated for better than a year.

SigP229R
Harry Callahan "A man has got to know his limitations".
Teddy Roosevelt "Talk soft carry a big stick"
I Cor10: 13 "1611KJV"

Posts: 6066 | Registered: March 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cynic
Picture of charlie12
posted Hide Post
Ours in Louisiana have always been the plastic card type. I got my first one about 21 years ago. Ours used to be good for 4 years now it's 5 years or you can get a lifetime. You have to have renewal training ever 5 years even if you have the lifetime.

Good thing for me now is if you're a honorably discharged Veteran you don't have to pay for the CHP. Still have to pay for the training because that's taught by individuals not the State.

Posts: 13014 | Location: Pride, Louisiana | Registered: August 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They should make it the form of a challenge coin and simply increase the cost to triple current cost and make it good for life.

Posts: 3268 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One day at a time
Picture of RANGER20
posted Hide Post
Our Permits only last 2 years and only 3 guns on them in my county of Northern CA. No Modifications allowed you carry exactly what is on your permit period. I wish it was Revolver or Semi-Auto and 5 years.. oh and they laminate them..

Posts: 5499 | Registered: August 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The 2nd guarantees the 1st
Picture of fiasconva
posted Hide Post
We don't have to specify any type of firearm so once you get that permit you can carry any gun you have. No training required and once you get the permit you don't have do any training for renewal. Lifetime permits get shot down regularly citing funding needs.

"Even if the world were perfect it wouldn't be." ... Yogi Berra

Posts: 1856 | Location: York County, VA | Registered: August 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Ours in Texas are just like the Driver Licenses. They look so similar I have to pay attention to which I fish out of my wallet for ID at a store or bank.

Posts: 26852 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cynic
Picture of charlie12
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RANGER20:
Our Permits only last 2 years and only 3 guns on them in my county of Northern CA. No Modifications allowed you carry exactly what is on your permit period. I wish it was Revolver or Semi-Auto and 5 years.. oh and they laminate them..

In Louisiana you don't even have to own handgun to get a permit. Some of the instructors will loan the person taking the class a gun to shoot in class. We can carry any legal handgun we want

Posts: 13014 | Location: Pride, Louisiana | Registered: August 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
quote:

This may be county to county, but Orange went to unlimited number of guns on the permit this year. You just have to qual with each, 20rds @ 5&7y, which can literally be done blind folded. Laminated card for 2y with a renewal every 2y.

IF YOU AREN'T HANDLOADING, YOU AREN'T SHOOTING ENOUGH!
NRA Instruc: Basic Pistol & Met Reloading

Posts: 7789 | Location: ca, usa | Registered: February 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RANGER20:

The state requires that qualifications be done on the actual gun that will be carried - by serial number! There was a bill to extend the expiration to 5 years, but it died in committee.

Sacramento County is in the process of getting newer-style licenses ready. As of the last word, they were waiting for official approval from the state on their design. At that point, you might be able to have more than 3 on the license, but you'll still have to qualify on them.

They've been very busy just getting new and renewal licenses issued. I've heard indications that they will allow modifications at some point, but it may be a while. Part of the problem is that I've seen users on another forum who are wanting and willing to pay to make modifications every month or so as they change which gun they want to carry.

Posts: 2768 | Location: Northern California | Registered: December 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The cake is a lie!
Picture of Nismo
posted Hide Post
CA is strange, and treats each county as if its their own state in some ways. Our county allows up to 5 guns last I heard.

Ours were not laminated, but we are given a credit card sized lamination sheet, which of course, does not fit at all. I had Staples laminate it for a couple dollars.

Posts: 7415 | Location: CA | Registered: April 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Living my life my way
Picture of molachi
posted Hide Post
Fla. CWP has been the size of driver license and laminated the same since I got my first one back in 2004 and now are good for 7 years. Can carry any legal gun and several other things.

Posts: 1756 | Location: The Backyard of Nowhere | Registered: August 09, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SR
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIG 229R:
I wish N C would go to that kind, we are still the old paper. Last time I renewed I forgot to go by Office Depot to get it laminated for better than a year.

We use to have to pick up permits. The Wake County Sheriff's office would have you sign then laminate the permit.

Now they mail the permits and you sign once you receive the permit. Nice you don't have to pick up but miss having them laminated.

Speak softly and carry a big stick loaded Sig

Posts: 4887 | Location: Raleigh, North Carolina | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post