SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  CCW Methods & Issues    Do you tell the police you have a ccp?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Do you tell the police you have a ccp? Login/Join 
Too soon old,
Too late smart
posted
Finally got our permits today. Apologize if this has already been asked, but if we're stopped for a traffic violation should we tell the officer we have the permits whether or not we're carrying? The approval letters say that a copy of the permit card has been forwarded to the Virginia State Police but does that mean the local or county police are aware also?

NRA Life Member
Member Isaac Walton League

I wouldn't let anyone do to me what I've done to myself

Posts: 1487 | Location: NoVa | Registered: March 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
My understanding...

1. If asked for you permit, you are supposed to provide.
2. You are not required to volunteer that you have either permit nor whether you are carrying.
3. Some argue you should tell, others that you should not. In either case, be careful that nothing you do is misunderstood.

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17459 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
Man, there used to be a thread that was about 40 pages long on the topic. I guess that it has since been pruned. In the 40 pages, it was decided- It depends on your state law if you are mandated to or not. The rest was split about 50/50 on whether you should voluntarily tell the officer.

Being an officer, I highly suggest that you let them know. People cry "Concealed is concealed" and while true on some occasion, cops are trained to look for this type stuff. I'd hate for anyone to find themselves getting drug out the drivers seat at gunpoint because they failed to tell some rookie.

Also, many states link your drivers license/license plate info to your CCDW. In some cases, I know the driver has a permit before the lights come on.

YMMV.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37081 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire for effect
posted Hide Post
Some states require you to inform LEO if you are carrying. I would comply with the law. What does your state's law require?

I wouldn't inform that I have a CCP if I am not carrying.

If I am not required to inform, and I am carrying, and I think that the LEO may see my pistol, then I would inform so as not to surprise him.

If the LEO asks, I would inform. If it doesn't otherwise come up during the stop, I wouldn't inform.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Arty,

"Ride to the sound of the big guns."

Posts: 7210 | Location: South Georgia | Registered: May 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Irksome Whirling Dervish
Picture of Flashlightboy
posted Hide Post
My SoCal CCW requires me to inform the officer if I'm stopped or have interaction while carrying.

It was made very clear that I must inform the officer at the initial contact but only if I'm carrying. Not carrying = no need to inform but it was suggested to inform even if not carrying.

Posts: 4069 | Location: "You can't just go to Walmart with a gift card and get a new brother." Janice Serrano | Registered: May 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
Not required to do so in my state; however, I have done so the (thankfully small) handful of times I've been pulled-over.

I have handed the officer my DL and permit and told them immediately that I'm carrying a firearm.

Most of the time, the officers have thanked me for letting them know. In one instance, the officer stated that he was issuing me a written warning in lieu of a speeding ticket (one I clearly deserved) specifically because I'd told him up-front that I was carrying.

"The sea was angry that day, my friends - like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli." - George Costanza

Posts: 6687 | Registered: September 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Save today, so you can
buy tomorrow
posted Hide Post
Can't remember if we have to inform LEO here in NV if we get pulled over. But I was pulled over once by a NV State Trooper for failing to do full stop, prior to turning right.

Rolled down my window, both hands on the steering wheel, informed the officer I have a CCW and that I have a loaded firearm in my waistband. I asked the officer what we want me to do. Officer said "How about I show you mine, but don't show me yours"? I said "That sounds like a good plan officer". I handed over my DL, CCW ID, Registration and Insurance. He walked back to his car. came back and handed me back my all my documents. Told me he was letting me off with a warning and said just make sure to do a full stop next time, even if my right side is clear. I thanked the officer and went on my way.

I think LEO appreciate it if CCW permit holders inform them that they are carrying when we get pulled over. Just my 2 cent.

Posts: 1879 | Location: Las Vegas | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In MN you aren't required to tell unless asked. I would strongly suggest though that in the spirit of the law you inform the officer immediately upon contact and only in an appropriate manner.

Posts: 373 | Registered: September 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The success of a solution usually depends upon your point of view
posted Hide Post
First and foremost, what does your state law require, and any other state that you visit if carrying there.

If notifying is optional, it becomes a personnel choice and everyone has their own opinion.

In Fl we bo not have to notify and our permits are not linked to our DL. If stopped I don't unless I am told to get out of my car.

If asked, we are require notify.

“We truly live in a wondrous age of stupid.” - 83v45magna

"I think it's important that people understand free speech doesn't mean free from consequences societally or politically or culturally."
-Pranjit Kalita, founder and CIO of Birkoa Capital Management

Posts: 3839 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: September 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
I always hand over my CCW along with DL, insurance, and registration. Carrying or not.
I smile and say "That's my Certified Good Guy Card" and we both laugh. It makes the interaction less stressful if the cop knows that he's not dealing with some "Three time loser" felon who is ready to die rather than go back to jail, I would imagine.

Plus, having one procedure, all the time, makes it easier to remember.

My .02,

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4245 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jcat
posted Hide Post
RI is not a duty to notify state, to my knowledge. Pull me over for speeding or similar? I see no need to approach the topic. During the conversation if the officer asks if there are any weapons in the vehicle or on my person, I would of course be truthful and forthcoming.

Posts: 9958 | Location: RI | Registered: October 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
No, unless:

1. I'm required by law.
2. The officer asks me to exit the vehicle.
3. The officer asks directly.
4. I just used my weapon defensively.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17244 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flesheatingvirus:
No, unless:

1. I'm required by law.
2. The officer asks me to exit the vehicle.
3. The officer asks directly.
4. I just used my weapon defensively.

Exactly.

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 7935 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In Michigan, we're required to inform a law enforcement officer. I've gotten nothing but positive results from informing the officer /deputy /trooper, and in at least one of the cases, suspect it may have even helped sway things toward verbal warning rather than a written warning or citation.

You'd do well to determine what the law specifically says in your jurisdiction as well as anywhere else you're planning to go.

-------------
$

Posts: 7655 | Location: Mid-Michigan, USA | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
In IL. you do not have to inform unless asked.
I preach handing the permit along with the drivers license so no words are spoken about having a gun.
Announcing "I have a gun" could be miss interrupted by a officer's partner that may be on the other side of your car.
I saw this demonstrated by Massad Ayoob in a video, It makes sense.

Posts: 4609 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
Regardless of whether to inform or not inform, it is considered poor form to pull out your brand new hog leg and wave it around just to show it off.

I'm sure the nice officer will be almost as excited as you are about your purchase, but perhaps you ought to save show and tell for another time.

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17459 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fenris:
Regardless of whether to inform or not inform, it is considered poor form to pull out your brand new hog leg and wave it around just to show it off.

I'm sure the nice officer will be almost as excited as you are about your purchase, but perhaps you ought to save show and tell for another time.

I would add only "Unless he asks" and then it is no longer considered a social traffic stop faux pas.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37081 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Essayons
Picture of SapperSteel
posted Hide Post
In the state where I live now (Idaho) we are NOT required to inform. In the state I lived in before returning to Idaho (Michigan) we were required to inform. It's very important for you to know what the law requires as you travel across states; look before you cross the border so you know and can stay out of trouble. The best place to look to quickly find out what's required of you is this one: LINK.

Obviously, if you're in a state that requires you to inform, you'd be very foolish not to inform.

I know a handful of cops and sheriff deputies. They have told me that, even though the law doesn't require one to inform here in Idaho, they still very much appreciate knowing. In other words, they appreciate it if you tell them you're armed if/when they have to interact with you. I think it goes to trust; they pretty much know anyway, because the CCW database is linked to the DL database, but if you tell them first thing then it's a confirmation that you are trustworthy, not hiding anything from them.

Given that, I think one has to let one's conscience, together with "the totality of the circumstances", be their guide regarding whether or not they'll inform if/when the time comes for him to interact with the police in a state in which the law does not require him to inform.

Thanks,

Sap

Posts: 3452 | Location: Arimo, Idaho | Registered: February 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Chris Anchor
posted Hide Post
In Maryland we're not required to but it's always good form. The LEO is doing his job, a tough one at that, informing just puts everybody on the same page. Chris

Posts: 1832 | Location: Cecil Co. Maryland | Registered: January 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
I had this discussion with a friend who was a Sheriff Department Lt.

Florida is not a "must notify" state.

My concern is that if I do not mention it and the LE spots it, he might be nervous. I don't want to deal with a nervous cop who has a gun and who is concerned that I might be a bad guy.

My friend, the Sheriff guy, suggested not discussing it, not mentioning the word "gun," but when handing over my DL, just hand over the carry permit along with it. That would notify without saying "gun" and the cop would not be surprised if he noticed that I was carrying.

Seems like a good plan to me.

A better plan, of course, is don't get stopped for a traffic violation. I stop at stop signs, stop before making a right on red, I don't take liberties with the speed limit. I haven't been stopped by a traffic cop for decades, and I don't knowingly do anything that would cause me to be stopped.

I was not always a model citizen when it came to traffic laws, but I outgrew my "enthusiastic" driving habits.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30544 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post