SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  CCW Methods & Issues    Any advantage to Not Seeking a CCW Permit? [Update on Page 3]
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Any advantage to Not Seeking a CCW Permit? [Update on Page 3] Login/Join 
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jefferson Steele:
Reading this headline in Breitbart sparked my original question: "Matt Bevin (R) signed legislation making the Second Amendment the only concealed carry permit needed in Kentucky."
Link

Notwithstanding the possible advantage of not being in another governmental database, the comments thus far seem to weigh heavily in favor of obtaining a permit. Reciprocity seems to be the main advantage, as well as obtaining current instruction on the applicable laws.

I truly appreciate the helpful feedback. All things considered, it looks like I will be attending a class in mid-May.

I’m not sure what your paranoia is. When I read someone with “concerns about being in another government database”, it gives me pause. The state police database is only accessible from the statewide LINK system. Outside agencies, by statue can’t access it. It can’t be accessed by freedom of information act.

LINK is accessible by state dispatch centers or police mobile data terminals. Beyond local and state law enforcement, the government can’t see you have got a permit unless you show them.

“The Government” already knows that you purchase a gun with a required NICS check. You can buy face to face to remain off the grid, but to live may kind of life, I would not worry.

At the end of the day, get the permit.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posting without pants
Picture of KevinCW
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^

Pretty much. You're already is somewhere around 72 "government databases"

You probably have a:

Driver's License
Social Security Card
Vehicle License Plate
recreational vehicle (boat, ATV, Camper, work trailer) license plate
Passport
Hunter's tag for whatever type of game you hunt
fishing license
(probably lots of others I can't think of off the top of my head)

you probably file Income Taxes at Federal, State, and possibly Local level.

You probably have health insurance cards, credit cards, store credit cards, store membership cards, store/meal rewards cards, etc.

You probably also have online accounts with TONS of places.

THe last two things i have mentioned have probably been stolen at some point.

Hell dude, you're already in just about every database known to man. Even beyond the .gov ones you're probably in many, many more by corporate america, and many more by the underworld criminal organizations who would buy/sell your identity as a commodity.

Save the paranoia for where it belongs my friend.

Strive to live your life so when you wake up in the morning and your feet hit the floor, the devil says "Oh crap, he's up."

Posts: 33287 | Location: St. Louis MO | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
quote:
Originally posted by Jefferson Steele:
Reading this headline in Breitbart sparked my original question: "Matt Bevin (R) signed legislation making the Second Amendment the only concealed carry permit needed in Kentucky."
Link

Notwithstanding the possible advantage of not being in another governmental database, the comments thus far seem to weigh heavily in favor of obtaining a permit. Reciprocity seems to be the main advantage, as well as obtaining current instruction on the applicable laws.

I truly appreciate the helpful feedback. All things considered, it looks like I will be attending a class in mid-May.

I’m not sure what your paranoia is. When I read someone with “concerns about being in another government database”, it gives me pause. The state police database is only accessible from the statewide LINK system. Outside agencies, by statue can’t access it. It can’t be accessed by freedom of information act.

LINK is accessible by state dispatch centers or police mobile data terminals. Beyond local and state law enforcement, the government can’t see you have got a permit unless you show them.

“The Government” already knows that you purchase a gun with a required NICS check. You can buy face to face to remain off the grid, but to live may kind of life, I would not worry.

At the end of the day, get the permit.

I'm pretty sure you've made my point. Based on your description of how the LINK system works, by not seeking the CCW permit, I won't be identified in the LINK system as a person permitted to carry a concealed firearm. Is that correct? Would it also be correct that the NICS check does not identify me in the LINK system as a person permitted to carry a concealed firearm?

None of the items noted by KevinCW (e.g., Driver's License, Social Security Card, Vehicle License Plate, Passport, Hunting or Fishing License) seem applicable.

My concern is not based in paranoia, but rather freedom. I agree with my governor that the Second Amendment should be the only concealed carry permit needed in Kentucky.

Posts: 20 | Registered: April 21, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
Sweet Jesus. No you should not get a permit. Big brother is watching.

www.opspectraining.com

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm Fine
Picture of SBrooks
posted Hide Post
Go take the training (and any other you can find and afford) whether you get the permit or not.

You'll learn some good stuff and be a safer more beneficial carrier.

------------------
SBrooks

Posts: 3791 | Location: East Tennessee | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Here in Arizona no permit required but I did obtain one because:
Reciprocity! Being able to carry in about 35 other states without any concerns
It eliminates a nics check when buying a new gun
It allows you to carry into places that serve alcohol
Each state varies greatly in what a permit does and does not do for you, but I would side strongly on getting the permit.

Posts: 3282 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If for no other reason, get the permit for reciprocity. I'm not aware of any state that doesn't also have permitless carry that recognizes states that do.

Posts: 5158 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The unserious ones aside, I appreciate the reasoned responses and will report back after my class in mid-May.

posted Hide Post
In Michigan, I've had nothing but absolutely positive law enforcement interaction while carrying and even when not but presenting the permit anyway.

Reciprocity with other states is probably the biggest reason I could think of to still go ahead and get the permit even though it's not required locally. I'm not familiar with how good the agreements your state has with other states, but in the Michigan case, there are very few states which don't recognize the MI permit, and most of those don't even respect their own citizens' right to have a permit.

I've been to Canada since I've had my permit, and I don't recall being grilled excessively as a result of the permit. The person asked if I had any dangerous things, and I stated that I knew I couldn't have my dangerous things in Canada and that I'd deliberately left my dangerous things at home. The person seemed satisfied quite quickly.

-------------
$

Posts: 7655 | Location: Mid-Michigan, USA | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by the_sandman_454:
I've been to Canada since I've had my permit, and . . . . The person asked if I had any dangerous things, and I stated . . . .
I believe the proper response is "why, what do you need?" Big Grin

Posts: 4009 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mikeyspizza:
quote:
I've been to Canada since I've had my permit, and . . . . The person asked if I had any dangerous things, and I stated . . . .

I bought some powdered water......I don’t know what to add.

www.opspectraining.com

For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mikeyspizza:
quote:

Funny Canada story. On the way in to Canada, I was asked if I had a gun in the car. Before I could say No, my daughter blurts out he usually carries two.

Five minutes later, we’re in Canada and I threatened to leave her there. Smile

OP, take the class and get the permit.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8008 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Love all the funny stories, most of which seem to involve Canada for some reason.

Yeah, I'm signed up to take the course on 5/19.

Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
Because it’s an old Steven Wright bit.

Some people actually have a sense of humor on a thread drift. It actually started with posters poking fun at those paranoid about government databases.

www.opspectraining.com

Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
Not all states record their concealed carry permit holders in accessible databases. Colorado law specifically forbids the practice.

For a while in my state, there was a newspaper which wanted to obtain all the CHL holder's names and publish them. It almost happened, but luckily never did.

Come to think of it, wasn't there some state where the names were all released in a big spreadsheet?

Long story short, feel lucky if the database is indeed protected my law.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10889 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
Mostly because you wont be allowed to carry any place other than Kentucky. The permit will allow you to carry in reciprocal states. An upside is get stopped with a gun, the permit gives you a little more cred with LEO than the guy without one.

IF YOU AREN'T HANDLOADING, YOU AREN'T SHOOTING ENOUGH!
NRA Instruc: Basic Pistol & Met Reloading

Posts: 7789 | Location: ca, usa | Registered: February 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a permit as it lets me buy without waiting. Reciprocity is a nice benefit and no I don't think you'll be under more scrutiny. At the end of the day if a government wants to find out about you they can.

Posts: 3043 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by radioman:
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
Not all states record their concealed carry permit holders in accessible databases. Colorado law specifically forbids the practice.

For a while in my state, there was a newspaper which wanted to obtain all the CHL holder's names and publish them. It almost happened, but luckily never did.

Come to think of it, wasn't there some state where the names were all released in a big spreadsheet?

Long story short, feel lucky if the database is indeed protected my law.

Kentucky, the state in question, is the same. It’s a felony.

www.opspectraining.com

Spiritually Imperfect
Picture of VictimNoMore
posted Hide Post
With the way Kentucky is shaped, chances are you live pretty darn close to the border with OH-WV-IN-TN-IL, etc. I live just across the border in WV, and can be in KY in under 20 minutes, OH in under 5 minutes. It's commonplace (going shopping, for example).
Even though I live in the free state of WV (constitutional carry), I still have a permit, primarily because of reciprocity. It takes the worry out of going about your daily business and 'forgetting' that you just crossed over into another state, and find yourself hemmed up because you don't have a permit (and therefore, reciprocity).
Take the class. Learn stuff. Get the permit.

Posts: 3805 | Location: WV | Registered: January 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I took both the KY and TN CCW classes when I was stationed at FT Campbell. They were good classes and addressed the various laws it's good as an armed citizen (Where you can and cannot carry, Use of Force, transport etc.).
But you already said you were going to the class, so good on you.

I would go ahead and get the CCW in case the law gets changed again you are covered.

I would get the CCW in case you run into a LEO who isn't up on the new rules change.

As mentioned, it also helps with reciprocity.

Another reason to get one is politics, the number of CCWs often gets mentioned when they talk about gun laws. The more CCWs we have the more political relevance we can claim. It's a bit of a reach, but I had a front row seat for when the SAFE act rolled out in NY.

Posts: 4576 | Location: Where ever Uncle Sam Sends Me | Registered: March 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post