SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  CCW Methods & Issues    Question on Back Pocket Holsters
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Question on Back Pocket Holsters Login/Join 
Picture of fpuhan
posted
As soon as my LCP II arrives, I'm going to be looking at ways to carry it. I'm buying it because there are times even my P9365 won't do.

One of the options I'm looking at is a back pocket holster. The general idea of these is that there is a squarish piece of material between the gun and pocket that turns the gun outline into something that resembles a wallet or such. I get that.

What I don't seem to find is a "how." Most of the back pocket holsters require the wearer to insert the gun hand "palm in" to grasp and pull the gun. Yet, when I IWB in the small of my back, I draw my gun with my palm facing out.

To me, having to twist my hand to pull my gun is less efficient than just sliding my naturally-facing hand into the pocket for the draw. Yes, I pull my wallet with palm facing in, but I'm not gripping my wallet in a manner meant to use it as a weapon.

Am I mistaken on how a back pocket holster functions? I know there are a variety of brands available, but they seem to offer a right-handed person what I would consider to be a backwards holster.

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have one of these for my LCP I but rarely use it, others will have to answer your question:

https://mecopocketholsters.com...Frear-pocket-holster

What I do use all the time is the DeSantis Nemesis in the right front pocket with a Mag Packer on the other side:

https://www.desantisholster.com/the-nemesis/

https://www.desantisholster.com/mag-packer/

Both work with the extended mag:

http://shopruger.com/LCP-II-7-...e/productinfo/90626/

Posts: 15898 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fpuhan
posted Hide Post
Well yes, but the holster shown, if it's for a right-handed draw (as I suspect most are) would require that "twist" to draw. I could probably get a left-handed holster to carry the way I want, but I guess my question is, "What is the benefit to carrying in the back pocket the way most makers specify?"

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
Why back pocket? I have gone through numerous front pocket holsters and always come back to the good old tried-and-true DeSantis Nemesis. It just works!

My CW380 is carried in my right front pocket and nothing else goes in that pocket when I'm carrying and it works great. I just can't wrap my head around the idea of sitting on a gun in my back pocket.

Posts: 33601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fpuhan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
Why back pocket? I have gone through numerous front pocket holsters and always come back to the good old tried-and-true DeSantis Nemesis. It just works!

My CW380 is carried in my right front pocket and nothing else goes in that pocket when I'm carrying and it works great. I just can't wrap my head around the idea of sitting on a gun in my back pocket.

Well, I've thought (and tried) a lot about this. What I've found is that front pocket, while convenient, causes a lot of discomfort while driving, or spending a lot of time at a desk. Also, with my small frame, even a P365, fully loaded, weighs over a pound, which can result in an unsightly bulge. Everyone mentions DeSantis Nemesis, and to fair, I've only used Sticky and Blackhawk holsters, so maybe there's something DeSantis can do the others don't?

IWB at anywhere from 3:00-5:00 o'clock tends to print too much. I've taken to not carrying my XDs .45 or S&W 360 for this reason (although the 360 does see some use in front pocket).

IWB in the small of the back seems to work most of the time, but I've had some chafing. I'm thinking of back pocket for when I just want to go for a walk, or a quick trip to the store, or as an alternative to the other carry methods. NOT as a primary.

Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
quote:
What I've found is that front pocket, while convenient, causes a lot of discomfort while driving, or spending a lot of time at a desk.

You might find that “relaxed fit” pants help with this. I’ve never noticed any discomfort from front pocket carry.

Posts: 26852 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fpuhan
posted Hide Post
I'm glad this thread got bumped because I've had some time to consider.

One holster maker I spoke with observed that drawing with palm "out" causes the person to sweep his own body while presenting the gun. I train with and use a manual safety (both P938 and P365), or use a gun with a DA trigger. Still, in an adrenaline rush, accidents can happen...

So, with a change to my carry style, I've ordered a back pocket holster for my LCP II. The nice thing about this holster is that with the back panel removed, it can serve as a front pocket holster, too. Nice leather, too!

posted Hide Post
I tried a sticky holster for rear pocket carry of my P365 M.A.complient model and it routinely dumped the mag just something to watch out for!

Posts: 141 | Location: Ma. | Registered: November 18, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
Add me to the group that doesn’t like the idea of sitting on a gun. That goes for a cushioned seat(car, couch) or a hard seat.

Now if you’re hiking all day, possibly not an issue, until time to rest on that log.

Here comes the cooler months. Besides the pants, that pocket setup can slip into a jacket pocket.

Posts: 6129 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Buy that Classic SIG in All Stainless,
No rail wear will be painless.
Picture of cee_Kamp
posted Hide Post
fpuhan,
When I carry my Seecamp 32, it's in a Meco rear pocket holster.
Seecamp pistols have a heel magazine release so sitting on the gun should never release the magazine. (never had it happen in more than a decade)
Ruger LCP/LCPII have a conventional button release. (test that you don't get accidental magazine release)
The palm facing your butt cheek draw stroke is intuitive with some practice. Your fingers slide over the grip and push that leather panel away.
A Seecamp in a rear pocket holster is smaller/thinner than your average wallet. You don't even realize it's there. Magazine pouch for a reload in the other rear pocket.

NRA Benefactor Life Member
NRA Instructor
USPSA Chief Range Officer

Posts: 1497 | Registered: December 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Ice Cream Man
posted Hide Post
So

A) IMO, one of the best aspects of pocket carry is the ability to put the gun in your hand, very early in an encounter.

B) Anything more than a few bills in my back pocket irritates my nerves, but I broke my spine in 3 places, so...

Posts: 5706 | Location: Republic of Ice Cream, Miami Beach, FL | Registered: May 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
It's a bitch to get your gun out of your front pocket when you're sitting behind the steering wheel.

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
It’s all a traded off, type, size of gun, what your main activity will be, driving, sitting, hiking, whatever.

That’s why we need at least a few options in the holster box. Time to deploy is a consideration too, deep carry ok, or do you want quick access.

WI is easy in that you can float anywhere from concealed to visible carry, say the jacket rides up. In some States(MI), visible carry can be more problematic.

Not really an advocate of open carry unless maybe in the woods.

Posts: 6129 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Ice Cream Man
posted Hide Post
3eagles, good point.

If I’m worried about it, I’ll carry a duplicate OWB on my left hip, for that purpose, and I usually have a car gun in a safe packer, but I use one far less now that I don’t drive convertibles.

Posts: 5706 | Location: Republic of Ice Cream, Miami Beach, FL | Registered: May 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Been carrying a LCP in an Uncle Georges back pocket holster for years. Prints squareish like a wallet and the only person I know of who’s made it is my barber who gets close enough to look down the inside of the back pocket and noticed the back of the gun was visible inside near the top of the pocket. Didn’t concern him and we had a good conversation about guns that day. Has a CT laser mounted that’s still aligned properly after sitting on it for years.

Posts: 1169 | Location: NE Indiana  | Registered: January 20, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Johnny 3eagles:
It's a bitch to get your gun out of your front pocket when you're sitting behind the steering wheel.

Not that easy to get one you’re sitting on out of the back pocket, either.

Posts: 26852 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post