SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  CCW Methods & Issues    appendix holster with pad?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

appendix holster with pad? Login/Join 
posted
Bravo used to offer a small rubbery pad that was against the muzzle end for iwb. Prevented some digging in while seated/driving.

Anyone else offer something similar? I tried gluing some foam on it but didn't last very long.

Posts: 1652 | Location: SC | Registered: December 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
GOOGLE "foam holster wedge" for lots of sources...

Beware of a man whose only pistol is a 1911, he's probably very good with it.

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The cake is a lie!
Picture of Nismo
posted Hide Post
I've been using Mastermind Tactics foam pads on all my appendix holsters. These, like most foam pads and wedges, attach using industrial strength Velcro.

https://www.mastermindtactics.com/shop/foam-pads

I can go all day without any type of pad (including driving almost non stop for 7+ hours), but over time, the holster causes a sore spot in certain areas while sitting down, the pad eliminated all that. Plus, the pad does act as a very slight wedge, tucking the grip slighting inward. It is a tad over 1/4th an inch thick.

I attach mine horizontally on the bottom of the holster rather than vertical as pictured on the site.

Posts: 7415 | Location: CA | Registered: April 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
EPDM foam with an adhesive backing would be a good choice. It won't compress as quickly as open cell foam. A wedge shape would still provide a level of comfort and push the grip inwards even if it compresses.

The image above appears to be EPDM but of a uniform thickness.

Beware of a man whose only pistol is a 1911, he's probably very good with it.

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The cake is a lie!
Picture of Nismo
posted Hide Post
I believe the company calls the material "Cross-linked closed cell foam", but of course, there is probably a few dozen different densities and weights to choose from.

This stuff is like dense memory foam. I can describe it feeling sort of like a yoga mat, or foam used to make slippers for your feet. It slowly moulds to shape as you wear it, and some of it decompresses back slightly if you let it sit for a day or so.

Posts: 7415 | Location: CA | Registered: April 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tha1000
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nismo:
I believe the company calls the material "Cross-linked closed cell foam", but of course, there is probably a few dozen different densities and weights to choose from.

This stuff is like dense memory foam. I can describe it feeling sort of like a yoga mat, or foam used to make slippers for your feet. It slowly moulds to shape as you wear it, and some of it decompresses back slightly if you let it sit for a day or so.

The scientific term is "pecker pad"

Posts: 5383 | Location: MS | Registered: June 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Grab SKS,
go innawoods
Picture of mrmoneybags
posted Hide Post
JM Custom Kydex offers a neoprene pad or wedge as an option on their AIWB holsters. I have one of each. The wedge conceals better, but makes for a lot to stuff into your waistband. I find the pad to be just as effective for comfort, and it still conceals a VP9 or HK45C well for me with the claw.

Posts: 1913 | Location: 42003 | Registered: November 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Min-Chin-Chu-Ru... Speed with Glare
posted Hide Post
I've done this Dr. Scholl's appendix carry hack and it was successful for me:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VIPPmw5RUPk

Posts: 1265 | Location: MA | Registered: December 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post