SIGforum
Wait time for CCW Permits

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/830601935/m/9500025214

October 21, 2016, 01:48 PM
titus66
Wait time for CCW Permits
I'm just curious as to the current wait times around the country. My wife did her CC class the first week of Jan, we mailed her paperwork off Jan 24th, and she just got her permit on Oct 8th. It took them just 8.5 months just to get it in their hands, and process it. The issue date was 9-29, and it was in the mailbox 10-8.
According to the State Police Chief, it's due to budget cuts, and there are fewer people processing them. Combine that with thousands of people submitting them each time a wack job commits a mass shooting, and it's just a cluster-fuck.

I mailed mine in June, so I've still got another 4-5 months, if I'm lucky.

Hopefully other states aren't taking that long.
October 21, 2016, 02:05 PM
Sigmund
Three or four days. Here in Iowa where it's now shall issue, each County Sheriff issues permits. We have an electronic process and the ladies who run it are very efficient.

http://www.scottcountyiowa.com...permits/permit-carry
October 21, 2016, 02:36 PM
Kelleytoons
Here in Florida the average time is around 30 days. However, there are issues with fingerprints -- both my wife and others have had problems with getting "good" prints. If that IS the case you have to wait another 30 days.

So figure two months tops. They are supposed to expedite ex-military and I've heard in those cases it is as soon as a week or two.

Mike "ex-genius" Kelley
October 21, 2016, 02:38 PM
Kelleytoons
Oh, and the other important thing is how long your permit is good for -- because renewals can take some amount of time.

Here in Florida it's seven years, which I feel is very good. In Nevada it was five.

Mike "ex-genius" Kelley
October 21, 2016, 03:16 PM
az4783054
It depends on state statutes. Most states specify the maximum wait time but there may not be a penalty if the CCW administrating agency cannot comply.

Agencies have to live within their budgets. In AZ, civilian staff replaced AZ DPS sworn staff in the CCW processing unit due to the budget. If employee(s) leave the budget may not allow to refill the position until the next fiscal year.

Note the AZ DPS website says the process is expected to take 75 days.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: az4783054,

Beware of a man whose only pistol is a 1911, he's probably very good with it.
October 21, 2016, 06:03 PM
remsig
Mine took just over 30 days from time I dropped my packet off until I picked it up in NE Ohio. My SIL got her's in less than a week from a different county.

Our permit's are good for 5 years here.
October 21, 2016, 07:59 PM
SIG 229R
Guilford Co. N.C. takes about 90 days for new and around 70 or 75 for renewal.

SigP229R
Harry Callahan "A man has got to know his limitations".
Teddy Roosevelt "Talk soft carry a big stick"
I Cor10: 13 "1611KJV"
October 21, 2016, 09:03 PM
titus66
Wow, we are WAY behind!! 6 weeks sounds like a fantasy/dream! I'm envious!

Ours are issued by the State Police, and are good for 5 yrs.
October 21, 2016, 09:35 PM
Appliance Brad
My latest renewal was 6 days. New permits are running about 2-3 weeks here in Hillsdale County, MI

We just revised our CPL law late last year. We had horror stories from Wayne and Kent Counties running 6 months. Hope is by the endo of the year renewals can be a while you wait in person and on line renewals go into effect in 2018.

Our permits are good for 5 years which gives us a NICS exemption. BATFE will only grant that to states that issue for 5 years or less.

October 21, 2016, 11:03 PM
Nismo
Took me about 3 months and 2 weeks from the very first phone call to the actual paper in my hand.

It varies greatly here as each county has its own way of doing things.

I know someone who applied at the same department one year after I got mine, and his took about 8 months.

There's only 1 lady at that dept. that handles CCW applications.
October 22, 2016, 05:35 AM
Kelleytoons
quote:
Originally posted by Appliance Brad:
My latest renewal was 6 days. New permits are running about 2-3 weeks here in Hillsdale County, MI

We just revised our CPL law late last year. We had horror stories from Wayne and Kent Counties running 6 months. Hope is by the endo of the year renewals can be a while you wait in person and on line renewals go into effect in 2018.

Our permits are good for 5 years which gives us a NICS exemption. BATFE will only grant that to states that issue for 5 years or less.

What the heck is an NICS exemption?

Mike "ex-genius" Kelley
October 22, 2016, 07:51 AM
Sigmund
quote:
Originally posted by Kelleytoons:

Here in IA (other states as well) a CCW permit means the FFL does not have to call it in. We still have to fill out the 4473, but there is no call. No three day waiting period either.
October 22, 2016, 09:44 AM
Appliance Brad
quote:
Originally posted by Sigmund:
quote:
Originally posted by Kelleytoons:

Here in IA (other states as well) a CCW permit means the FFL does not have to call it in. We still have to fill out the 4473, but there is no call. No three day waiting period either.

Likewise here. A FFL simply puts your CPL license number down for the approval instead of having to call it in. Great at gun shows, if the system is down or if you have a really common name that might generate delays.

October 22, 2016, 10:59 AM
Kelleytoons
Oh, okay, we have that as well (we can just take whatever gun we want at either dealers or shows without a waiting period).

The way it was phrased I thought it wouldn't be available (because we have a seven year permit) but I guess it's okay in Florida even with the longer period.

Mike "ex-genius" Kelley
October 22, 2016, 12:45 PM
egregore
In 2013 when I got mine, five weeks from filing of paperwork to receipt in mail.
October 22, 2016, 06:59 PM
sgalczyn
PA-Berks County has local offices. 15 minutes start to finish only because I spent the last 10 minutes BSing with the deputy.

"No matter where you go - there you are"
October 22, 2016, 07:46 PM
mark60
NY varies by county. My county is taking 12-15 months and most permits issued have a hunting/target restriction meaning you can't carry unless you're hunting or at the range. If you're a good boy or girl and wait at least a year but sometimes the judge prefers 5 years, you can apply for an upgrade that allows you to actually carry concealed.

The one nice thing is that it's a lifetime license with no renewal fee in most of the state.
October 22, 2016, 09:12 PM
captain127
Mark 60 was correct for New York until the safe act of 2012 which is now implementing a program for recertification of the previous
Lifetime permits for New York. The trouble in New York
Is you
Need a permit for simple
Possession of a pistol and if the renewal system comes to pass, and your renewal does not go
Through you are required to surrender all
Pistols
To the state!
Glad I left New York!
October 23, 2016, 09:38 AM
Kelleytoons
Dare I venture to guess that Bloomberg was behind that "Safe Act"?

Geeze, this election is the most important one in the history of this nation and yet most folks are STILL clueless.

Mike "ex-genius" Kelley
October 23, 2016, 12:02 PM
titus66
It's interesting to see the variances from state to state on this; from4-6 weeks, to 12-15 months! Crazy.